SECO Surge Protectors

Closed Thread
Old 06-27-2012, 07:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
Bill - since the device was already installed, did they charge you an installation fee?
Nope! Lucky us.

They said that's how the lease dealie-o works if you "inherit" one. We still had to commit to the one year minimum as with their standard lease arrangement.

Bill
Old 06-27-2012, 07:44 AM
Veteran member

We had SECO put one on the meter a couple of weeks ago. We bought. Buying is cheaper in the long run unless it blows and chances are good that it won't.

We think of it as insurance. We've never had a homeowners claim in our lives, but we have always had excellent insurance (including flood and sinkhole).

"Live life while you're alive, because when you're dead, you're dead a long time".- Roland Michael Curtis
Old 06-27-2012, 07:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Oldcrabs View Post
I have SECO's surge protector and will be installing another one on the panel box when my one year warranty is up.
R U saying that the collar isn't enough or U want double protection?

I read the installs in or next to the box are a safer bet.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:11 AM

The term "whole house surge protection" can be misleading. The device that SECO (or Progress Energy) puts on your meter protects the hardwired equipment like A/C, furnace etc. This is called PRIMARY surge protection. You also need SECONDARY surge protection on your sensitive electronics like computers, TVs microwave ovens, etc. This is frquently overlooked by consumers who think that the device on the meter (or a device installed on your electrical panel by an electrician) is all you need. FALSE you need both.

The above is only for INDRECT lightning that strikes nearby. If your concern is a DIRECT lightning strike to your home you should consider a Lightning Protection System (LPS) commonly called lightning rods from a QUALIFIED installer.

I purchased my primary and secondary surge proectors from SECO because I relied on their engineers selecting good products. But you can also get them from hardware, electronics, and the big box stores.

For more information see the forthcoming Lightning Matters column in the July POA Bulletin or search the back issues on the POA4us.org web site.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:16 AM
Veteran member
Default Double Protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
R U saying that the collar isn't enough or U want double protection?

I read the installs in or next to the box are a safer bet.
I retired 8 years ago so they may have made improvements. Inside the protector is 2 lightning arrestor. When there is a voltage surge the arrestors will send the surge to "ground". Most of the time it destroys the arrestors and creates a "gas" that causes the protector to come out of the meter socket. They were working on a way to "vent" the gas. Looking at it, I do not see it. I will be installing another one on the panel box and on the A/C diconnect switch. I do have plug in type on TV & computer. FYI IF lightning hits the ground (known as a ground strike) close to your house, all bets are off. The surge can come in the ground. Its mother nature & you can't beat mother nature!

Last edited by 2 Oldcrabs; 06-28-2012 at 06:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-05-2012, 10:06 AM

In the post by CarGuy, there is mention of a "Galaxy Communication Whole Home Surge unit" I tried looking up more info about such a thingy, but got nowhere.
Can somebody tell me who to contact for more info about this device?
Old 07-05-2012, 02:17 PM

There is no known single device for "wholehouse" surge protection. You need PRIMARY protection on your meter by your electric utility OR a surge protection device (SPD) on your electric panel by an electrician. Checkout Pike's on Canel St in Sumter Landing where they have a display Also Lenhart Electric among others will install them. But you need SECONDARY SPD on all of your senitive eletronic equipment -TVs, computer, microwave - anything that you plug in and value. See the July POA Bulletin for more etails.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.