Default Re: Secure Gated Community

Very good.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:28 PM

Love it!!!!!!
New Jersey
Old 07-08-2008, 02:15 AM

This is a pretend gated community not a real one. Anyone and I mean anyone can drive right in to any of the Villages. There has been much crime in several of the Villages. Keep you doors and windows locked.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:22 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladykathleen
This is a pretend gated community not a real one. Anyone and I mean anyone can drive right in to any of the Villages. There has been much crime in several of the Villages. Keep you doors and windows locked.
What is "much crime"? How does that compare to similar size communities? No one, especially those on TOTV who've discussed this topic ad nauseum, thinks TV is a gated community.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 07-08-2008, 02:57 AM
Platinum member

Right on, Muncle, anyone who thinks this is a gated community is kidding himself. The gates are just a nuisance.
BTW, I have read studies indicating the burglary rate in gated communities is the same as for non gated. Keep in mind, gated communities are where th $$ are.
I don't know of any community where it is safe to leave doors unlocked. The burglaries I am aware of happened where doors/windows were left unlocked. Screens are no deterrent.

DC
Old 07-09-2008, 03:22 AM
Gold member

TV is most assuredly not a gated community. I believe the gates are there to slow traffic down (same for main roads that curve their way through TV), and frankly I have no problem with that.

Personally I would not be comfortable living in a true gated community in an area like Florida, lightning capital of the country and subject to hurricanes and tornadoes. In the rare, unlikely event of an evacuation, I sure would not want to be competing with all my fellow residents at a single gated exit.

Just my personal opinion....
Old 07-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Gold member

Personally I would not be comfortable living in a true gated community in an area like Florida, lightning capital of the country and subject to hurricanes and tornadoes. In the rare, unlikely event of an evacuation, I sure would not want to be competing with all my fellow residents at a single gated exit.

Just my personal opinion....
Dont worry sidney stay behind me i will "take out the gate" so you and everyone behind you will not have to stop and wait for it to open
Old 07-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Eternal Member

I lived in a 24-hour guarded gate community for 17 years and I loved it. Property owners had stickers on their cars to get in, others had to pick up passes called in by owners to get in.
Living alone, I felt very safe and secure and the only crime was an occasional theft by a housecleaning crew (all maintenance, etc. had to be out by 6:00 pm unless an emergency.)

I was very surprised when I found our "gated" community! It is a misnomer, but I feel very safe here. I do think our gates do provide a deterrent for someone not familiar with the setup.

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:55 PM

Just an opinion from a Villager wannabe, and hope to-be shortly. While TV may not be a true gated community, I think that having gates at the various entrances to the different villages, does act as a deterrent for the devious who might think about some sort of illbehavior. While it might not stop the professional a..h.le lovehorse :edit: from coming in and trying something, I think it does deter much of the young untrained a..h.les lovehorse lovehorse :edit: from doing us harm.

I also think the ever bending streets and roads also help in this deterrent. Give me the gates even it they are not truly gated. Ofter more times than not it's the impression not the content that counts. How many times have you driven past a house that said "security active", or "beware of dog", only to find out that it's only a sign. First impressions do count for something.

As for lightning, hurricanes, tornadoes, or what ever, when your time has come, it has come and you won't be around to give it a second thought.

I think the sign out side my house will read...

"Smith & Wesson activated in this house!" :cop:

"Keep the gates, please!"
Manchester, CT - 35 Years
Wilmington, NC - 3 Years,
Putnam, CT - 6 Years
The Villages - Village of Belle Aire 2 Years
The Villages - Village of Charlotte

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/k...00PIXalt-1.jpg
Old 07-09-2008, 02:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,701 Times in 606 Posts

Fullrob,
Old 07-09-2008, 03:06 PM

A couple of years ago, as reported in The Daily Sun, a contractor was adding a bird cage to a house here in The Villages, he left the cage in pieces on the lawn over night. When he arrive the next day the cage was gone. He called the police and they contact The Villages security. Not known to many but each vehicle that passes through a gate is video taped. They reviewed the video and they found a truck entering a gate empty, and later leaving a gate with it loaded with the cage. The police were able to identify the thieves and made an arrest.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:42 PM

The gates are ok I guess even though there is no real security.. I wonder how many car window motors are replaced do to the up and down to flag your card. I would rather have something like a Sun Pass to open gate. If I have my windows up and a/c on I come though the visitor gate and let them open it. Sometimes they just look at me like, What do you want?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.