Security and Gates

Closed Thread
Old 09-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think you are one smart person.

There is a hug waiting for you.
Thank you Gracie...and I will be there to collect the hug as soon as I can!

Trish
Old 09-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Default Looks like we are gated

I agree with Bare. When we bought here, none of us (my friends) knew the roads were owned by the county(many still don't). We all thought this place was gated.
Also, we were told to guard those gate passes and how much we would have to pay if we lost one. It was just a given we would have to replace it in order to get around the Villages.
The same secret is being kept today. We have had quite a few friends come here on a Lifestyle (even some just last month) and they all think this is a gated community even after the tours by the Village realtors. The realtors always use the gate cards.
The gates are deceiving. Why have a gate if everyone can come in? I bet we are the only "gated" community that the roads are owned by the county and everyone can use all the roads any time of day or night.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:48 PM
Default Wildwood et. al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
Do not be offended,Just common sense. I feel safer here at 2am then in Wildwood, Clevland, or Detroit for that matter.You do not like my remarks fine. Do not be so sensitive. Just the facts thats all.
Several years ago when our daughters were high school age my husband and I sacrificed in order to send them to private catholic academies just outside of Philadelphia where we lived. We honestly believed they would get a better education in a suburban school district. We found that the girls from the burbs were very wary of our kids. They had preconceived ideas of "city girls" that were very hard to overcome. Needless to say my children had a hard way to go. They had to deal with stereotypes on a daily basis.

Having said that it should also be noted that Holland Pennsylvania does in no way have the crime that Philadelphia has or had. Given the choice of walking at 2am in Holland or 2am anywhere in Philadelphia, I would have to say I would prefer to be in Holland . . . it is no reflection on the people who live in Philly. It is more a statement of a few bad apples making it hard for the whole bunch. You never hear about the people who make life better for others, the bad apples get all the attention. That's the rub!
Old 09-09-2011, 09:12 PM

We are not a `gated` community...we are a community with gates...
Old 09-09-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Crocker View Post
I hope I never become so paranoid that I must have a gate into my neighborhood. I have lived in the city of Detroit and many of it's suburbs and have never felt the need to be 'gated'. If someone wants to get into an area, they will find a way, with or without gates. One advantage of the gates in TV is that it forces people to slow down, no whipping around the corner into the sub. Personally I like the gates in the villages, I think they are kind of cool....I just don't ever, ever want to have to depend upon gates or fences or guards for my safety. What would be next? Barbed wire? If that's the case, I might as well be living in a prison. Remember....There is nothing to fear but fear itself.
Well said.....thanks! I hope one day to get to meet you.
Suzanne
Old 09-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Gold member

Thank you Suzanne...I'm looking forward to meeting you too (hopefully in the near future!! )
Old 09-10-2011, 01:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
LITTLE RED BUTTON????????? Why didn't I know that on our lifestyle visit when I had to walk back to our villa to get the pass in a pouring rain???? Darn!!!!
The first time I visited TV last year I was told about the "little red button." When I went to open houses in different villages during my visit this past July, I always told the person at the gate "I'm going to an open house on _________ street."

I always appreciated the friendly greeting of the person manning the gate in the Village of Chatham where I rented in July. I felt like I was coming "home" even though I knew I would only be there for one week. I hope the Village of Sabal Chase has friendly gate people when I rent in October.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiefox10 View Post
When we went to TV in July and came on the gate we turned around too... Hubby mentioned to me about the "red button." Sooooo being the rebel I am I urged him to push it! Of curers he wouldn't, so I made him stop the car, I got out and pushed the button when the gate opened he drove through it and I then ran to the car giggling. I felt like Bonnie and Clyde!

Whew.... think anyone saw us????
You wild people live on the edge!!!
Old 09-10-2011, 02:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary42651 View Post
We are not a `gated` community...we are a community with gates...
Polo Ridge has a gate so I am living in a "gated community". The idea of going through the postal boxes area and get right in doesn't mean bad guys will do that too.....
The gates do slow folks down which is a good thing

"The difficult we can do immediately the impossible just takes a little longer"
Old 09-10-2011, 06:02 AM
Platinum member

Are there cameras at the gates or elsewhere? They sometimes deter but mostly show "who dun it". IMHO
Old 09-10-2011, 07:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posh 08 View Post
Are there cameras at the gates or elsewhere? They sometimes deter but mostly show "who dun it". IMHO
We were told there were cameras by a sales agent and by an owner who said thats how they knew who busted the gate at 1:00 am in the morning coming in drunk.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:48 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiefox10 View Post
When we went to TV in July and came on the gate we turned around too... Hubby mentioned to me about the "red button." Sooooo being the rebel I am I urged him to push it! Of curers he wouldn't, so I made him stop the car, I got out and pushed the button when the gate opened he drove through it and I then ran to the car giggling. I felt like Bonnie and Clyde!

Whew.... think anyone saw us????
That's funny. I also was stopped at a gate going over to Southern Trace area...digging in my purse for gate pass when the gentlemen behind me got out of his cart and pushed the button. I was so embarassed, said thanks and went on my way!
Old 09-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Cool good point!

Quote:
I hope I never become so paranoid that I must have a gate into my neighborhood. I have lived in the city of Detroit and many of it's suburbs and have never felt the need to be 'gated'. If someone wants to get into an area, they will find a way, with or without gates. One advantage of the gates in TV is that it forces people to slow down, no whipping around the corner into the sub. Personally I like the gates in the villages, I think they are kind of cool....I just don't ever, ever want to have to depend upon gates or fences or guards for my safety. What would be next? Barbed wire? If that's the case, I might as well be living in a prison. Remember....There is nothing to fear but fear itself.
also, once through the gates, unless otherwise posted the max speed limit is 25mph, as noted in other threads. this was a request by the builder as it is not the 30mph norm on local roads. All were part of the plan to limit speeds and increase safety. The gates do take pictures of people entering which are available for review should any crime occur...
Old 09-10-2011, 01:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

I am still getting over the shock that the gates cost 1.5 million.....we could get a really big indoor heated pool for everyone
Old 09-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
I am still getting over the shock that the gates cost 1.5 million.....we could get a really big indoor heated pool for everyone
WHAT??? NO indoor heated pool???? CRAP!!! That does it!!!!

Just kidding....

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.