Security and Gates

Closed Thread
Old 01-03-2013, 10:06 PM
Default gate pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiefox10 View Post
We were told there were cameras by a sales agent and by an owner who said thats how they knew who busted the gate at 1:00 am in the morning coming in drunk.
I was just told by a staff person at the VCDD that our gate passes have "ID numbers" on the back that are exclusively yours. They can track you using your gate pass ID number. Cameras must just be a backup measure.

I'm not liking the fact that I can be tracked. However, I have nothing to hide and never will - but the idea just does not sit well with me.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:31 PM
Sage

If that's the case, never look at a retail site online, never use a credit card, a grocery or drugstore card, and never put a toll transponder in your car. You may also want to avoid using a cell phone with GPS.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:01 AM
Eternal Member

The company that I use to work for used the same security system for access to their buildings and even doors within the building. I got to play around with the system a bit and yes it can do a lot. For example our system would sound an alert when someone tried to enter a door that they were not authorized. Also a quick hit of a function key and up pops a picture of that individual from their employee badge. Lists could be created to show when any person entered the building if HR or a manager requested.

All the programming was done on a central computer in the security department and changes took effect instantly and it changed the access at any location around the country. The access cards are RFI cards and can be wiped out with a magnet. All identification was done within the cards via the programming.

A nice system and I was very surprised to see it when I first visited TV.

One other thing about the system is that it has the ability to set the distance from the card sensors needed to read the card. The larger the receiver (the gray square you hold your card up to ) the farther away the card can be held to be read and again that can be controlled by the program.

VG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl08 View Post
I was just told by a staff person at the VCDD that our gate passes have "ID numbers" on the back that are exclusively yours. They can track you using your gate pass ID number. Cameras must just be a backup measure.

I'm not liking the fact that I can be tracked. However, I have nothing to hide and never will - but the idea just does not sit well with me.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:08 AM

The main reason for gates is not for security. They are there as a traffic control device to make everyone slow down so merging and crossing busy intersections can be a little safer.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.