Security in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 07-10-2008, 11:31 AM
Send a message via AIM to smalldog
Default Security in The Villages

The Villages Florida
Small Dog Sez afar as I know if you need someone call 911 :cop:
Village watch is just that, watchers, maybe your flowers displease your neighbor or you put a small ornamental object in your front yard, you know how you are : then the village watch can function ??? but gawd forbid you should need help :dontknow: then they will sometimes watch ? who pays them, I bet we do :edit: ( it is after all a small city)
As TV grows and we get more and more people of all stripes,I think we need to consider some kind of home grown security what do you think ??
Old 07-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: Security in The Villages

Interesting point. In order to evaluate what are needs are, there must be a database of called for services by location, such as medical assists, crimes, accidents, domestic issues, fires, etc. Of course specific subcategories could be included. The database should include a response time from time of call, to arrival, to completion. The more information input, the better public service entities would be able to determine trends and patterns, including crime hazards, traffic hazards, areas that need directed, preventive patrols. They then could assign resources according to the potential demand.

The database should be publicly available for review to determine if existing national standards are being met.

The problem in The Villages stems from its multi-jurisdictional structure. There are at least three counties and one or more city agencies responsible for patrolling. I am not aware of any database that represents the collective input for Villages public safety activity. I don't know if these entities cooperate and share this type of data in a format that is Villages specific. I do not believe they do and would be happy to be corrected.

I am not conversant with or aware of the degree of cooperation between those that deliver public safety services to The Villages. The Village Sun could provide an important and meaningful public service by reporting public safety statistics that are in fact trackable to sum degree like, number of and response times for medical assists. They would have to dig a little harder for crime, traffic and general police activity statistics. I am not sure they have investigative reporters who would be allowed the time to research this activity.

This now becomes somewhat of a dilemma because I suspect professional consultants would interpret the results and conclude that, in order for The Villages to maximize its security and public safety needs, it would need its own public safety team, meaning police, fire and medical. That would necessitate some type of incorporation and higher taxes. (Cabo just saved the Villages a very large consulting fee). I would be happy to hear if the developer has contingency plans for enhancing public safety in The Villages. I do not mean this sarcastically. He has created a wonderful environment for so many of us. His concept is brilliant and I believe he and his family are capable of bridging what may be a public safety gap with their creativity and innovation.

Just my two cents on an interesting question you raise.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.