Seen on B.Vista @ 10am this morning

Closed Thread
Old 01-26-2013, 08:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
The other day we were crossing the Lake Sumter bridge in our golf cart and a husband and wife were pedalling there way across the bridge in the golf cart lane. You guessed it, carts backed way up 'cause you just can't pass in that area. Couldn't understand why they weren't on the sidewalk- I heard someone earlier say you could run into walkers, but there are very few walkers and lots of golff carts - my choice would be the occassional walker to not tie up the the golf carts.
It is against the law to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk...SHARE THE ROAD...IT'S THE LAW....what part of that do people not understand?
Old 01-26-2013, 08:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
I know that they are allowed to use the road, but what taxes did they pay for that right? They are not a license vehicle, have no license plate which is payment to use the road. I pay the same taxes as them and I can't use my golf cart on the road. I guess if I had a Segway I couldn't use the road either. What gives them special privileges ? They usually give me no problem except the belligerent ones that ride 2 abreast and threaten you if you come anywhere near them.
I guess they pay all of the same taxes that you do......property tax...auto license tax, etc..those taxes provide for the roads they ride on...you may ride your bike on those roads too. What gives them the right to ride on the road, you ask....it's the law!
Old 01-26-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
They don't have special privileges. They have the privilege to share the road as outlined by FL law (here is one link that may help you learn the law: Florida Bicycle Laws). You are correct that they are not licensed. I was referring to property taxes which, in some proportion, are used for road repair, enforcement etc. If I'm wrong about that then I stand corrected (I couldn't find a detail of Sumter County expenditures from property taxes). But, regardless, the FL bicycle laws and rights are very straight forward. Like it or not.
100% correct. Properly taxes pay for road repair and maintainence. If you use the logic of the license plate the poster wouldn't be able to walk in front of his house without a plate attached to is ass. By the way, bicycles can ride no more than 2 abreast which means side by side is OK.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
The other day we were crossing the Lake Sumter bridge in our golf cart and a husband and wife were pedalling there way across the bridge in the golf cart lane. You guessed it, carts backed way up 'cause you just can't pass in that area. Couldn't understand why they weren't on the sidewalk- I heard someone earlier say you could run into walkers, but there are very few walkers and lots of golff carts - my choice would be the occassional walker to not tie up the the golf carts.
OK, so now they shouldn't ride on the roads or cart paths. I see, they just need to be out of your way. By the way, those "cart paths" are actually multi-modal paths, and those backed up carts on the bridge are supposed to observe the 10mph speed limit.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post
IF its the same lady, she usually rides down Odell Circle around Amelia and Mallory and I'm amazed that she is so brave as to do that, but Buena Vista??? Wow. Its not at all a hatred of bikers, its the fact that they are risking their lives in order to exercise. I agree about the incumbent bikes as well, I've seen them and if GOD FORBID, there was an accident, they would be history. I don't feel its the fault of car drivers because as we all know, S**t happens, so why take a terrible chance. I just don't get it.
What's an incumbent bike?
Old 01-26-2013, 10:06 PM
Veteran member

Idiot bicycle riders!!
Dog Poop!!
Restaurant was awful!!
I died and went to heaven ... it looks just like TV!!

rinse and repeat
Old 01-26-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzangrilli View Post
What's an incumbent bike?
I think she means "recumbent." From the gist of her comments, it seems she thinks that these are even more dangerous to ride in TV than regular bikes.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,924 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
100% correct. Properly taxes pay for road repair and maintainence. If you use the logic of the license plate the poster wouldn't be able to walk in front of his house without a plate attached to is ass. By the way, bicycles can ride no more than 2 abreast which means side by side is OK.

That mental image was a real coffee spit over this way this morning.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,943 Times in 796 Posts

Quote:

That's partially true; they cannot impede traffic if they are not going the speed limit while riding two abreast.

s. 316.2065 – Bicycle Regulations

(6) Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway may not ride more than two abreast except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles. Persons riding two abreast may not impede traffic when traveling at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing and shall ride within a single lane.
Edit/Delete Message

Share the road, but do it responsibly on both sides, and everyone will be safer and happier.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:27 AM
Sage
Location: the villages since 04. Lived in Alaska, Texas, California, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, New York
Thanked 7,184 Times in 1,237 Posts
Default bikes

Here is a question. was at the stop sign in sumter landing by movie theater.
over twenty bikes were at the stop sign. They ALL went in order leaving the cars to wait for them ALL. shouldn't they each stop and go one by one and alternate with cars leaving the stop sign in other directions.? seen this times before.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
[/B]

That's partially true; they cannot impede traffic if they are not going the speed limit while riding two abreast.

s. 316.2065 – Bicycle Regulations

(6) Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway may not ride more than two abreast except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles. Persons riding two abreast may not impede traffic when traveling at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing and shall ride within a single lane.
Edit/Delete Message

Share the road, but do it responsibly on both sides, and everyone will be safer and happier.
Thank you for posting that section, CFrance

However, we must remember that the SPEED LIMIT is the absolute maximum one may travel under ideal conditions, whereas the section refers to "normal speed of traffic".

Also, the section does say "ride within a single lane" not "ride in single file". Since motorists must give a cyclist 3' of clearance, passing even a single cyclist in the same lane is inadvisable on many roads.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:44 AM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
I think she means "recumbent." From the gist of her comments, it seems she thinks that these are even more dangerous to ride in TV than regular bikes.
You're right,, I'm sorry, misspelled it.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 01-27-2013, 09:46 AM
Location: The Villages, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, Memphis, Los Angeles, Boston, New York, Norfolk, Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Again with the hatred of cyclists?

Please read the rules of the road. In every state I know of cyclists are allowed to use the vast majority of streets that their taxes pay for. The MM paths are not the ONLY place to be.

It is inconsiderate drivers of autos that cause the problems in the majority of cases I've seen.
Could not disagree more. Cyclists seem to have this attitude that they don't need to obey the rules of the road. Running stop signs, crossing streets at inapproriate spots. I have found them to be rude. No use for them at all.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecz1 View Post
Cyclists seem to have this attitude... I have found them to be rude. No use for them at all.
Hey, Russ - this one's certainly not a cyclist-hater :-)
Old 01-27-2013, 10:03 AM

There are over 50,000 cars and over 50,000 golf carts in TV many which ignore traffic laws everyday and your upset because maybe, maybe, a few hundred bicycles make a few mistakes? You really should slow down and smell the roses, it will keep your BP down.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.