Driveway

Closed Thread
Old 04-24-2014, 10:25 AM
Default Driveway

We live in a patio villa and would like to add a few feet of cement to each side of our driveway
so we can park two cars on it. I called The Villages but the department that handles that is moving so they don't have access to their phones. Does anyone know if we need our neighbors consent?
The neighbor who will be impacted (he will lose a little lawn and his sprinkler head will have to be moved - which we will pay for) has already told us that he will not agree to this.
Do we need his permission?
Old 04-24-2014, 10:30 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jejuca View Post
We live in a patio villa and would like to add a few feet of cement to each side of our driveway
so we can park two cars on it. I called The Villages but the department that handles that is moving so they don't have access to their phones. Does anyone know if we need our neighbors consent?
The neighbor who will be impacted (he will lose a little lawn and his sprinkler head will have to be moved - which we will pay for) has already told us that he will not agree to this.
Do you need his permission to expand onto his property? What in the world makes you think you have any right to do this?
Old 04-24-2014, 10:44 AM

Please forgive me for not explaining in full - the concrete would only go to the end of our house. His sprinkler head is in front of our house. It is the way patio villas are set up.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
The neighbor who will be impacted (he will lose a little lawn and his sprinkler head will have to be moved - which we will pay for) has already told us that he will not agree to this. Do we need his permission?

You will probably need your neighbor's permission, and probably also need permission from the ARC . If I were you, I'd take my time, and be VERY careful about getting proper approvals.

Last edited by Barefoot; 04-24-2014 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Wording
Old 04-24-2014, 10:56 AM

Okay - thank you. I guess we don't own the property right in front of our garage. Not to the side but right in front of the house.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:00 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Think you'd have to have a survey done to find exactly where the property line is. If the sprinkler head and grass is on your side, then just see if ARC will give you permission (which I kind of doubt, honestly). If that is his property line, I'm afraid you're going to have to figure out a way to make the driveway you have work.

Of course, if you do manage to get the required approvals, you're going to have a neighbor or, quite possibly, neighbors upset with you. Not sure that the extra width would be worth the hard feelings.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-24-2014, 11:01 AM
Sage

Yes...you'll have to go through proper channels and you might find out from ARC you can't do this. We have friends who live in a patio villa who say that their neighbor's property is in actuality on part of what you'd think was theirs due to (as you say) the way they build these villas. For instance the gates are in front of the neighbor's front doors to get into the patios. I'd say "IF" your neighbor isn't happy about it....that would be another red flag against this.

I personally love the patio villas but at this time wouldn't think of living in one due to the way they build the driveways driveways, the parking (or lacking there-of) and all that goes with that.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:14 AM

We bought a patio villa that had extra cement added on both sides. The original owners went through the proper channels and had it approved. The next door neighbor went ballistic (even though she couldn't even see it from her property because of bushes,). Other neighbors attempted to get a permit after that to add to their driveways and they were denied and were told that The Villages no longer approves it because of neighbors complaints. Needless to say we keep far away from this neighbor.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:16 AM

Our other neighbors support us. Many of them have done this exact thing. You're right about the survey. It seems strange that the neighbor owns the land in front of
my actual house. Think we will consider moving instead.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:37 AM

Thank you theorem painter and not golfer - that is exactly the info we were looking for. I very much appreciate your taking the time to answer my question. I'm not sure how the discussion took the turn it did. Boy, was I judged and convicted by some. I have learned an important lesson from the responses to this post. I may never post again!
Anyway - it looks as though if my husband wants to fit two cars in the driveway we will have to move .
Old 04-24-2014, 01:31 PM

It would be worth it to call ARC and have the representative stop by. Tell them what you want to do and they should be able to determine if you can legally do it. If it's truly on your neighbors property, you don't stand a chance. I think even when you put in the concrete edging (borders around flower/bushes) you can't be within 2' of any property line.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Thank you theorem painter and not golfer - that is exactly the info we were looking for. I very much appreciate your taking the time to answer my question. I'm not sure how the discussion took the turn it did. Boy, was I judged and convicted by some. I have learned an important lesson from the responses to this post. I may never post again!
Anyway - it looks as though if my husband wants to fit two cars in the driveway we will have to move .
I rented a Patio Villa in December and I found the driveway much too small for both a small car and the golf cart. I kept driving over the edge of the driveway unto to the grass (I was afraid I was going to blow the tire)because I was afraid of hitting the car or the cart if I didn't move over far enough. I found it quite difficult and glad I didn't buy a Patio villa.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Of course you will need your neighbor's permission to encroach on his property. It's called an easement. Or you need to purchase the property from your neighbor. Sounds like he won't agree...and why would or should he? He paid for his property too!
Old 04-24-2014, 03:59 PM
Sage

You're welcome on your kind response! Way in the beginning of considering the purchase of a house...friends of ours (who have a CYV) told us to look for a home with a 2 car garage, that has the laundry inside and a 3rd bedroom. Now I know they build such villas but I'd still pause as the parking for guests is so limited. Think if you have a larger party during the holidays or any other time. The "guest" parking is often a distance away and also is limited in size. Many times residents have parked a vehicle there as well, which I think is questionable re: covenances but that's a whole other thread of controversy as I've observed on here before. When considering a home we full-well knew what was allowed and wasn't before we signed a contract. Hoping you find a good resolve for you situation!
Old 04-24-2014, 04:06 PM

Funny thing about property lines and patio villas. Our survey map shows that we own 2 feet to the right of the garage yet we were told when we bought the property that it is the neighbor's responsibility to take care of the property from driveway edge to driveway edge. Makes little sense to me but that is probably why neighbors object to the driveway additions. And Jejuca - I agree with your comment about the tone of some of the responses. Is sarcasm really necessary to make a point?

Sally
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.