Seller Beware

Closed Thread
Old 05-19-2023, 11:48 PM
Default Scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I use Zelle to send money from a Truist checking account that I own. But, I don't think I actually have a Zelle account. Apparently, it is a free service provided by Truist Bank. It seems pretty safe, and it sure beats mailing a paper check.

It is a scam. Period. Don’t use Zelle with strangers.
Old 05-20-2023, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenneyGirl View Post
It is a scam. Period. Don’t use Zelle with strangers.
Zelle "with strangers" is 100% safe as long as you see the "strangers" funds in your account before handing anything over and provide nothing other than a phone number or email. No different than PayPal, Venmo, CashApp, AppleCash and others. 20+ years of buying and selling using all those types of payment methods without issue on dozens of websites. One just has to be aware of what's going on. Read about the actiual scams that are out there and you'll see most are due to the money recipient's lack of understand and/or over anxiousness to sell something.

I have always kept a separate checking account, a throwaway Google Voice phone number and a throwaway Gmail address for those types of purchases and only keep needed funds in them anyway. When I SELL something I rarely even use my real name because here in FL your name opens up your entire life.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 05-23-2023, 04:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Zelle "with strangers" is 100% safe as long as you see the "strangers" funds in your account before handing anything over and provide nothing other than a phone number or email. No different than PayPal, Venmo, CashApp, AppleCash and others. 20+ years of buying and selling using all those types of payment methods without issue on dozens of websites. One just has to be aware of what's going on. Read about the actiual scams that are out there and you'll see most are due to the money recipient's lack of understand and/or over anxiousness to sell something.

I have always kept a separate checking account, a throwaway Google Voice phone number and a throwaway Gmail address for those types of purchases and only keep needed funds in them anyway. When I SELL something I rarely even use my real name because here in FL your name opens up your entire life.
Actually anywhere your name opens up your entire life. My sister was concerned about some search engine called SPOKEO. I try never to give valid information on surveys.
SPOKEO showed me as over 150 years old and with more money than Buffet. More recently my Aunt must have looked as it says I know her. Information she must have added, it seems she does not know when I was born. My sister, they listed the names of her kids, address, what her husband does for a living and if, I recall even the name of her dog.
Old 05-23-2023, 05:47 PM

The only thing that you're selling that is worth any real cash is that Odyssey 2 ball putter.
The rest of those clubs are 20 years past their prime.
That is all.
Old 05-24-2023, 08:41 AM
Default Clubs

good beginners set or set for house guests.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2468 View Post
The only thing that you're selling that is worth any real cash is that Odyssey 2 ball putter.
The rest of those clubs are 20 years past their prime.
That is all.
Old 05-24-2023, 10:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
Actually anywhere your name opens up your entire life. My sister was concerned about some search engine called SPOKEO. I try never to give valid information on surveys.
SPOKEO showed me as over 150 years old and with more money than Buffet. More recently my Aunt must have looked as it says I know her. Information she must have added, it seems she does not know when I was born. My sister, they listed the names of her kids, address, what her husband does for a living and if, I recall even the name of her dog.
. Sadly, SPOKEO has me and my entire family spot on as do many others. That is the main reason anyone who uses their real names online (FB, Nextdoor and others) is opening themselves up for a privacy problem. FL is the worst state. Any scammer or thief can just pick virtually any name there and plug it into one of those PUBLIC DATA DATABASES (like SPOKEO and dozens of others) and go after them. Nextdoor + The Villages is like Christmas day for scammers. Easy to find the most vulnerable and naive folks who post there simply by reading some of the posted messages there. That place is frightening. No only real names (most cases) but locations.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 05-24-2023, 10:59 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,195 Times in 761 Posts

Just sell locally, and get cash....safest way.
Closed Thread

Tags
beware, set, cashiers, check, point

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.