Senior hours at retailers

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2020, 10:49 AM

I always have a back up to my back up grocery supplies, but at this point I am needing items. It upsets me how this even happened to begin with. Now everyone is being forced out to get basic needs not just once, but repeatedly to find the items they need. Let's just all try to do our best distancing and limiting interactions. It's all any of us can do at this point. Everyone I have encountered has been kind and courteous.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymini View Post
Senior hours at a place where almost everyone is a senior? Tough to stop laughing! Duh!
That is here. In the rest of the county the majority are not seniors. For them it is helpful.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,184 Times in 1,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl08 View Post
Totally agree with both Bills. I envision the folks who suffered through The Great Depression must be shaking their heads at this "scheduled shopping". Selfishness and greed are propelling this thing and I personally find it to be totally ridiculous. Speaking of ridiculous, .... I went to LSL to take a walk two days ago. On my way to the board walk I saw a photo op - the window of the radio station - and stood next to a lady who was sitting with a man, very close to the building. So I said, "Do you mind if I take this picture over your head, it'll take just a minute?" I was about 3 ft. from her and literally would have only been there for 45 seconds. She said, "YES I DO! My husband is immuno-suppressed, he just got out of the hospital!" Really???? Give me a break! Why would he even be out in public at all? Under normal conditions, he should be at home if he is immunocompromised. Cannot believe the entitlement of some people. I moved quickly and found an even better angle to take the picture, then went on my walk, far away from others.
Sorry but 3 feet is only half the distance we are supposed to keep separated from another person if we choose to be out in public.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,184 Times in 1,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daca55 View Post
That’s what I was thinking. Most people who live here are seniors. So they want us in groups less than 10 but will cause a great many of us to be in line at the these stores for senior hours. Doesn’t make sense.
Keep your 6 foot distance from the next person as much as possible. I had a guy tap me on the back a couple of days ago while I was on line in a grocery store. That was his way of getting my attention when he called to me and I didn't hear him. He had a silly question to ask me and I was not happy that he touched me and let him know it too.

I read on this forum a suggestion that I will use from now on. Place your grocery cart behind you when on line for the register. You can control the distance you are from the person in front of you and you will have at least the distance of the length of the shopping cart behind you. Great idea, isn't it?

Last edited by coffeebean; 03-21-2020 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:21 PM

Just a few thoughts ... Elderly and people with compromised health/chronic illnesses are the most vulnerable. People on very restricted diets due to certain medical conditions are also having a hard time finding the necessary food items and supplies.
These are all the last ones who should be stuck in crowded stores trying to get what they need. Quantity limitations are a good thing as everything is gone if you don't go first thing in the morning. That said, people calling other people greedy is wrong. I believe it is FEAR, not greed. That's why it is called PANIC buying. Think about all the people who live with PTSD and other anxiety disorders. They live in fear ALL the time and now the rest of the regular normal Americans are getting a taste of that. For that matter, some of us were raised by parents who lived thought WWII in occupied Europe and have had it drummed into our heads since childhood about the rationing, long lines and starvation in the winter of 1945. Therefore, more anxiety.
Since no body knows what anyone else's issues are, a little understanding and patience is in order. We are all in the same boat with this virus thing. There are so many unknowns but let's all be supportive and kind and put the anger, name calling and bullying aside. These are frightening and uncertain times. Stay home and stay safe!

Medicated Vet ... For your protection.
Quote from Boot Camp Company Commander: "I'm gonna have to issue you all plexi-glass belly buttons, so when you have your heads up your asses, you can at least see where you're going."
Old 03-21-2020, 01:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyVet View Post
Just a few thoughts ... Elderly and people with compromised health/chronic illnesses are the most vulnerable. People on very restricted diets due to certain medical conditions are also having a hard time finding the necessary food items and supplies.
These are all the last ones who should be stuck in crowded stores trying to get what they need. Quantity limitations are a good thing as everything is gone if you don't go first thing in the morning. That said, people calling other people greedy is wrong. I believe it is FEAR, not greed. That's why it is called PANIC buying. Think about all the people who live with PTSD and other anxiety disorders. They live in fear ALL the time and now the rest of the regular normal Americans are getting a taste of that. For that matter, some of us were raised by parents who lived thought WWII in occupied Europe and have had it drummed into our heads since childhood about the rationing, long lines and starvation in the winter of 1945. Therefore, more anxiety.
Since no body knows what anyone else's issues are, a little understanding and patience is in order. We are all in the same boat with this virus thing. There are so many unknowns but let's all be supportive and kind and put the anger, name calling and bullying aside. These are frightening and uncertain times. Stay home and stay safe!

Good post NavyVet.....from one Navy vet to another, I am sort of tired of reading posts patting themselves on the back, while condemning others. FEAR is the result of not knowing and fear of the unknown trumps all other fears.

Thanks for putting into perspective
Old 03-21-2020, 02:12 PM
Default Shop like normal

If everybody would just get their groceries like they normally do, there wouldn't be any problem! I just don't get it. Is it stupidity? Fear? Mob mentality? Reminds me of traffic jams. So many people slow down to see what's going on and backs up traffic for miles on end. Human nature is so odd sometimes 😵
Old 03-21-2020, 03:48 PM

So it is. 🙄🥴
Old 03-21-2020, 05:33 PM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

still in atl & will close 5.1 if all goes well w/sellers,,, in jan, bride asked publix re bogo as we have here,,, she was told seniors ruined that deal by buying 2 &, week later, returning 1 for $$,,, so goodbye bogo imagine what they'll do w/special hrs
i'm only 77 - can't wait to be a sr

ps - bucco, thanks for mentioning trump
Old 03-21-2020, 05:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,965 Times in 2,472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
"Senior Hours"?????..............that's everyone in TV.
No only 98.99999999999999%
Old 03-21-2020, 05:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadry View Post
still in atl & will close 5.1 if all goes well w/sellers,,, in jan, bride asked publix re bogo as we have here,,, she was told seniors ruined that deal by buying 2 &, week later, returning 1 for $$,,, so goodbye bogo imagine what they'll do w/special hrs

WT?
Old 03-21-2020, 05:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,543 Times in 3,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadry View Post

Strange that seniors in Atlanta would cause the store to change corporate policy to accommodate that one store's problems, but nowhere else.

BOGO is still a thing in the Publix stores in the Villages, with the exception of certain rationed items due to the virus, which you're only allowed to get one of, and no rain checks. That would be things like bleach, toilet paper, sanitizer, lysol, etc.

But if there's a BOGO special on Wheat Thins, you can absolutely positively still get 2 and only pay for one.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyVet View Post
65 and over not going to limit shoppers around here. 40 years service and not medicated.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:13 PM

I'm not getting up at dawn just to get a can of beans! Their hours should be ALL DAY!!
Old 03-22-2020, 07:31 AM
Veteran member

Guess what's coming next? Hurricane season. Can't wait.

Last edited by bilcon; 03-22-2020 at 07:32 AM. Reason: typo
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.