Seniors being shorted of social security benefits

Closed Thread
Old 08-30-2022, 06:34 AM
Default Seniors being shorted of social security benefits

(WATCH) Shorting Seniors | Sharyl Attkisson

A widow signing up for survivor's benefits and her own retirement benefits at the same time is called “dual enrollment." And too often, McAdams says, it’s not a good thing.

McAdams: It could be men, but it's typically widows — women — who applied for survivor benefits, and their claims were set up incorrectly. And, as a result, they've lost money for years, and they continue to lose hundreds of dollars every month.

I wonder if anyone here has seen this!
Old 08-30-2022, 06:36 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,140 Times in 1,361 Posts

Happened to Dad when Mom passed. He now gets less than last year.
Old 08-30-2022, 02:45 PM

We just went to a SS seminar. My wife is eligible to collect her late husband's Social Security- which is significantly more than hers would be. Our group was told that a widow/widower must choose which to collect- either your own SS or your late spouse's. You may opt for the higher of the 2. That you can not collect both.
Old 08-30-2022, 03:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,413 Times in 5,508 Posts

If this happens a phone call to SS or a visit to their office would be in order
Old 08-30-2022, 03:36 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,687 Times in 1,784 Posts

Even an ex-wife or ex-husband if previously married long enough can collect SS based on the earnings of their former spouse.

"If you are divorced, your ex-spouse can receive benefits based on your record (even if you have remarried) if: Your marriage lasted 10 years or longer. Your ex-spouse is unmarried. Your ex-spouse is age 62 or older."

From: Benefits Planner: Retirement | Benefits For Your Family | SSA

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-30-2022, 05:19 PM

It sounds like people are saying that under Duel Enrollment someone can collect 2 Social Security checks. Is that what is being said? It is my understanding that if a divorced or late spouse's check is to be collected, a person must choose Either their own SS check OR the spouse's, and that Both can not be collected. Here is a quote from the Social Security website (If I wrong please tell me because I would benefit from being able to collect 2:

//////////
(from SS.GOV)
What is dual entitlement in Social Security?
Dually entitled beneficiaries qualify for benefits based on their own work record and a spouse or survivor benefit based on their spouse's work record. Generally, the higher of the two benefits is paid.
/////////
Old 08-30-2022, 05:57 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
It sounds like people are saying that under Duel Enrollment someone can collect 2 Social Security checks. Is that what is being said? It is my understanding that if a divorced or late spouse's check is to be collected, a person must choose Either their own SS check OR the spouse's, and that Both can not be collected. Here is a quote from the Social Security website (If I wrong please tell me because I would benefit from being able to collect 2:

//////////
(from SS.GOV)
What is dual entitlement in Social Security?
Dually entitled beneficiaries qualify for benefits based on their own work record and a spouse or survivor benefit based on their spouse's work record. Generally, the higher of the two benefits is paid.
/////////
Yes, not both..
Old 08-30-2022, 06:49 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,687 Times in 1,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djean1981 View Post
Yes, not both..

You get to take your pick.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-30-2022, 10:08 PM

Thank you. So your answers prompt this next question. If you can only select ONE SS check, what is the Duel Enrollment that is being discussed?
Old 08-30-2022, 10:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,556 Times in 2,147 Posts

Quote:
Thank you. So your answers prompt this next question. If you can only select ONE SS check, what is the Duel Enrollment that is being discussed?
A widow (or widower) walks into the SS office to apply for benefits. They are eligible for survivor benefits from their deceased spouse and their own benefits.

What this thread is about:
- The SS office enrolls them for both (dual enrollment)
- They collect on the one that pays more

The problem: By enrolling them in both, their benefits are "locked" at their current age which might be less than full retirement age. This means their benefits are locked in at a lower amount than what they could be getting.

A better approach:
- The SS office enrolls them for survivor benefits
- Their own benefits continue to increase as they reach full retirement age or older
- At some point they enroll for their own benefits when their benefits exceed the survivor benefits

By "dual enrolling" at an early age they lock in an amount for their benefits which will never increase. By enrolling in only the survivor benefits they receive a check now but can later switch to their own benefits if those become larger than the survivor benefits.

At least that's what I understood the article to be about.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-31-2022, 01:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

I currently collect SS disability. When I am old enough to collect the normal SS I was told I get to pick the disability or the SS which ever is larger but not both.
Old 08-31-2022, 04:50 AM
Platinum member
Default Armageddon

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
(watch) shorting seniors | sharyl attkisson

a widow signing up for survivor's benefits and her own retirement benefits at the same time is called “dual enrollment." and too often, mcadams says, it’s not a good thing.

Mcadams: It could be men, but it's typically widows — women — who applied for survivor benefits, and their claims were set up incorrectly. And, as a result, they've lost money for years, and they continue to lose hundreds of dollars every month.

I wonder if anyone here has seen this!
i wonder if dottie is owed money, carl loved her so.
Old 08-31-2022, 05:53 AM

My friend was not old enough for SS when her husband passed, she received survivors SS until age 70 and then switch to her own. Her SS doubled.
Old 08-31-2022, 06:08 AM

You cannot double dip. When I lost my sweetheart, SS suggested to take his until I was older and then take my own. This is what i did & the income is much larger. If you wait until your 70 it’s increased more because it’s based on longevity & your lifespan has decreased. My understanding
Old 08-31-2022, 07:14 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,092 Times in 550 Posts

Quote:
We just went to a SS seminar. My wife is eligible to collect her late husband's Social Security- which is significantly more than hers would be. Our group was told that a widow/widower must choose which to collect- either your own SS or your late spouse's. You may opt for the higher of the 2. That you can not collect both.
Correct. I collect my late husband's which is more than mine, I can't also collect mine.

Tags
benefits, mcadams, survivor, applied, claims

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.