Serious Question About Handicap Parking Permit

Closed Thread
Old 07-05-2018, 08:11 AM

" Judge not lest ye be Judged"
Old 07-05-2018, 08:13 AM

There are 7 types of disabilities that are approved by the State of Florida and two types of permits. The temp permit is issued for up to 6 months, and that is for temp walking or sight impaired. The 7 types are inability to walk with use or assistance from a brace, etc or another person. The 2nd is perm use of a wheelchair. The 3rd is for lung disease which can be unseen and it is measured by a spirometry (lung disease could be for a heavy smoker). 4th is if needed use of portable oxygen. 5th is another unseen one and it is a cardiac condition that limits someone functions based on Class 3 or 4 according to the American heart Association, 6h is severe limitation due to arthritic, neurological or ortho condition. 7th is for the legally blind certified by an Optometrist.

(edited: too much personal information)

This doesn't mean I can't drive and doesn't mean I have to go around looking like I am disabled just to prove a point to others who judge me.

So, maybe she had lung cancer and she met the requirements. She has to eat so maybe its the only job she could get. We do what we have to do.

If you really want to know, just look and see if the tags are expired. They do expire.

(edited: too much personal information)

Last edited by Chi33; 07-05-2018 at 08:26 AM. Reason: typos
Old 07-05-2018, 08:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

The real issue is the all too abundant abuse of the handicap parking permitting approval/recommendation.

Just like the "accommodation" pass for golfers. While valid for many there are as many who abuse it with their doctor's consent.

No judgement of those in need. Just a reality commentary.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:45 AM
Sage

I didn't bother to read the other responses...but had to chime in. Appearances aren't always what they appear. I have mobility issues and "look" fine. I don't (yet) use a walker or cane but may soon. I've had a placard for a number of years because of my issues. JUST because someone doesn't use a mobility cart, a wheelchair or a walker or other aides doesn't mean they don't need to park in the handicapped spots. I'm sure there are "some" who abuse this BUT please people have some empathy as some day this may be you who is being judged!!
Old 07-05-2018, 11:02 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
The real issue is the all too abundant abuse of the handicap parking permitting approval/recommendation.

Just like the "accommodation" pass for golfers. While valid for many there are as many who abuse it with their doctor's consent.

No judgement of those in need. Just a reality commentary.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:37 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
To me, it is obvious that doctors cannot be trusted to issue handicap permits to those who need it, and to deny it to those who don't. Many doctors tell their patients that walking is good for them, and then issue permits. If you really want a fair handicap parking system, you need to change the way permits are issued. Or, just use the honor system.
If you believe doctors can’t issue handicap permits effectively!
Just who would you suggest that could do it better?
Old 07-05-2018, 12:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,715 Times in 5,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredster View Post
If you believe doctors can’t issue handicap permits effectively!
Just who would you suggest that could do it better?
I think the current system allows any doctor to issue a handicap permit, with no accountability whatsoever. We spend an enormous amount of money to provide handicap parking spaces in almost every parking lot in the country. It just seems like a flawed system, with too many people abusing the privilage. In downtown Washington, DC, there were construction workers who parked in metered spaces using a handicap sticker because they could park all day without feeding the meter while they work.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:39 PM
Gold member

Quote:
I think the current system allows any doctor to issue a handicap permit, with no accountability whatsoever. We spend an enormous amount of money to provide handicap parking spaces in almost every parking lot in the country. It just seems like a flawed system, with too many people abusing the privilage. In downtown Washington, DC, there were construction workers who parked in metered spaces using a handicap sticker because they could park all day without feeding the meter while they work.
My question was...Who do you think could do it better?
Old 07-05-2018, 01:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,715 Times in 5,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredster View Post
My question was...Who do you think could do it better?
It should be done by doctors, but not every doctor. And, there should be some oversight to ensure that the permits are only being issued to people who need them. Like others have said on this thread, the system is being abused. The police can issue a ticket for parking in a handicap space, but no one can question the validity of the permit itself.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed2BNTV View Post
Tonight at Brownwood, card pulled up in front of Scooples into Handicap space. The driver pulled the placard from visor.

I watched as 4 able bodied women got out of car. They were in their early to mid sixties.

It was 8:50 pm and plenty of (other) parking spaces as others were leaving square.

I am sensitive to those who use the system to their advantage as I grew up with my best friend’s brother who was in a wheelchair for most of his life and knew the importance of handicap parking.

I ask this question with sincerity, why would someone use a parking spot designed for those who were handicapped?

I ask this to those who need a handicap spot, but look or appear to be physical fit.

This post is not to call out those that abuse the handicap parking system.
I agree with you. There are a lot of people who are not considerate. But you do not know what the handicap is and not all are observable so I would not object without knowing the person.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:23 PM
Gold member

Quote:
It should be done by doctors, but not every doctor. And, there should be some oversight to ensure that the permits are only being issued to people who need them. Like others have said on this thread, the system is being abused. The police can issue a ticket for parking in a handicap space, but no one can question the validity of the permit itself.
Police can question the validity of the handicap permit.
They can check that it is not expired, and that it has been legally issued to the driver of the vehicle.
Why don’t you check out the Florida DMV site, all the handicap placard information is available there.
I’m puzzled as to who would do your suggested oversight!
Old 07-05-2018, 01:37 PM
Sage

IMHO, the Universe will make sure you learn a lesson if you park in handicapped without needing it.
So I leave it up to the Universe to equalize things.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
IMHO, the Universe will make sure you learn a lesson if you park in handicapped without needing it.
So I leave it up to the Universe to equalize things.
Yes, good point. And the Universe probably doesn't carry concealed.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

In Michigan I can park in a handicap space with my card due to cardiac issues. If I have a passenger with me a ticket can be issued due to the passenger should drop me off and park in a regular space.

In TV i had a Leo ask for my DL compared the birthdate on my license and the date on the placard. His reason is in TV he finds that adult children living with parents use the permit for themselves, or owner has passed and family members use it. If DL does not match placard, it’s a ticket.

He was polite, thanked me for my service, and then went to the next car.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
In Michigan I can park in a handicap space with my card due to cardiac issues. If I have a passenger with me a ticket can be issued due to the passenger should drop me off and park in a regular space.

In TV i had a Leo ask for my DL compared the birthdate on my license and the date on the placard. His reason is in TV he finds that adult children living with parents use the permit for themselves, or owner has passed and family members use it. If DL does not match placard, it’s a ticket.

He was polite, thanked me for my service, and then went to the next car.
Wait a minute.

Are you saying that under Michigan law, you're required to stop, get out...and then let your passenger drive YOUR car to go park?

That doesn't sound right.

Did you mean if you're the passenger in someone else's vehicle...but using your handicap card?
Closed Thread

Tags
parking, handicap, spot, question, system

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.