A Service Dog?

Closed Thread
Old 08-05-2017, 06:52 PM
Eternal Member
Default A Service Dog?

I was at Spanish Springs this evening for the Rocky and the Rollers entertainment. They were excellent, as usual.

A few minutes before 5, a couple walked onto the square with their dog and took seats near me. In a couple of minutes, I go over and engage them in conversation. Their dog was wearing a vest that read, "Service Dog...Do Not Pet". I definitely can respect that in a service dog. This was a ShiuTsu! We got talking and I asked what kind of service the ShiuTsu performed. The man said his wife was a little hard of hearing. When the husband is out of the house, the dog will bark when someone rings the doorbell so his wife knows someone is there.

What dog doesn't bark when someone comes to the door? For this, they bought a service vest and can take the dog into restaurants, fly it free on airplanes, and stay in pet-free hotels with no extra charge.

I totally understand appreciating a dog announcing a visitor to someone hard of hearing ...but to take it to the squares, etc ... is gaming the system. What service was the dog going to do outdoors, going to a restaurant, on a plane, etc since the service only applied at their house?

Don't get me wrong, no one loves dogs or cats more than me - but gaming the system like this just rankled my feathers - so to speak.

My lovely wife just said that I do not know if this couple would do all those things and maybe the service vest was just to kindly tell people not to pet the dog. I did not think of that. It is a possibility either way.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
I was at Spanish Springs this evening for the Rocky and the Rollers entertainment. They were excellent, as usual.

A few minutes before 5, a couple walked onto the square with their dog and took seats near me. In a couple of minutes, I go over and engage them in conversation. Their dog was wearing a vest that read, "Service Dog...Do Not Pet". I definitely can respect that in a service dog. This was a ShiuTsu! We got talking and I asked what kind of service the ShiuTsu performed. The man said his wife was a little hard of hearing. When the husband is out of the house, the dog will bark when someone rings the doorbell so his wife knows someone is there.

What dog doesn't bark when someone comes to the door? For this, they bought a service vest and can take the dog into restaurants, fly it free on airplanes, and stay in pet-free hotels with no extra charge.

I totally understand appreciating a dog announcing a visitor to someone hard of hearing ...but to take it to the squares, etc ... is gaming the system. What service was the dog going to do outdoors, going to a restaurant, on a plane, etc since the service only applied at their house?

Don't get me wrong, no one loves dogs or cats more than me - but gaming the system like this just rankled my feathers - so to speak.

My lovely wife just said that I do not know if this couple would do all those things and maybe the service vest was just to kindly tell people not to pet the dog. I did not think of that. It is a possibility either way.

Don't fret Sandy, this couple aren't the sharpest tools in the shed. But, you already know that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2017, 07:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

I was shopping a few days ago at Walmart. There was a guy in the dairy section with a dachsund on his shoulder wearing a vest. My thought was, if someone started talking about him and his ears were burning, the dog could pee in his ear...and give him comfort. True story about the dog.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,509 Times in 1,909 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

People who really don't care how other's feel will act selfishly. Many who live alone here feel sad and their pets are a great comfort. I think that we will just have to accept what is happening because the laws support it. I don't think that all people who take all pets to all places are always acting sincerely and honestly. I understand what you are saying Sandtrap.

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-28-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:00 PM
Platinum member
Thumbs down Not Gaming the System

Quote:

Well, let's take them in order.

1. MY Beagle doesn't bark when someone comes to the door. I can't speak for anyone else's dog.

2. You assume things that are not in evidence. That is that with the Service Dog vest they can take the dog all of the places that you list. The fact is that the vest is not an automatic pass. The various businesses can inquire whether or not the dog is a service dog and what the service is that the dog provides. (That's about all that can be asked.) And, if, as you observe, the service is only performed at home, the service dog does not get service dog protection at the businesses.

3. How is taking the dog to the Squares wearing its vest "gaming the system?" Any dog on a leash is allowed in the Squares.

4. It is possible that your wife is correct. The owners did not want the dog to be the target of well intentioned people who would want to pet the dog.

Last edited by Carl in Tampa; 08-05-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:12 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
Well, let's take them in order.

1. MY Beagle doesn't bark when someone comes to the door. I can't speak for anyone else's dog.

2. You assume things that are not in evidence. That is that with the Service Dog vest they can take the dog all of the places that you list. The fact is that the vest is not an automatic pass. The various businesses can inquire whether or not the dog is a service dog and what the service is that the dog provides. (That's about all that can be asked.) And, if, as you observe, the service is only performed at home, the service dog does not get service dog protection at the businesses.

3. How is taking the dog to the Squares wearing its vest "gaming the system?" Any dog on a leash is allowed in the Squares.

4. It is possible that you wife is correct. The owners did not want the dog to be the target of well intentioned people who would want to pet the dog.
Okay, Carl - let's say MOST dogs bark when someone comes to the door.

I will actually go along with what my lovely wife said. She is a very smart woman - after all, she married me!
Old 08-05-2017, 08:29 PM
Platinum member
Smile Three Question Test

How about a little three question test to see how much you know about Service Animals?

1. Can a cat be a Service Animal?

2. Under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) can Emotional Support Animals or Comfort Animals be considered Service Animals?

3. Can miniature horses ever be use as Service Animals?

The answers?

They are somewhere on the linked page. It is interesting reading.

Service Animals and Emotional Support Animals | ADA National Network
Old 08-05-2017, 08:33 PM
Platinum member
Smile And.....

Quote:
Okay, Carl - let's say MOST dogs bark when someone comes to the door.

I will actually go along with what my lovely wife said. She is a very smart woman - after all, she married me!
What about point #3?

Old 08-05-2017, 08:38 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

Sandtrap - you made me laugh! I agree... all dogs (except Carl's Beagle) bark when someone comes to the door. Gee -- I didn't realize I had a service dog!
Old 08-05-2017, 08:38 PM
Platinum member

Can someone tell me why someone needs their dog in Ace Hardware. Come on folks leave the freaking dog home. Note: we had our last mutt for 17 years.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:56 PM
Platinum member
Smile Yodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
Sandtrap - you made me laugh! I agree... all dogs (except Carl's Beagle) bark when someone comes to the door. Gee -- I didn't realize I had a service dog!
Well, no.

Nobody's Basenji barks when someone comes to the door.

(They never bark.)

Old 08-05-2017, 10:33 PM
Sage
Default A Service Dog?

I grew up with dogs and have always had a dog. My first wife threatened that if I brought home a dog she would lock herself in the bathroom and not come out till I got rid of it. I brought home a dog and kept the dog, now everyone knows where I stand on dogs.
To the point. People, leave your dogs HOME where they belong. Dogs DON'T belong in stores, in restaurants or on your freaking lap as you drive !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2017, 11:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

When I see one of those service doggies I don't even look anymore. I have learned it is not any of my business at all. If the dog was being mistreated I would discreetly call the correct person to handle it. We wanted to try our dog, Barney up at the square when we first moved in. Found the best parking spot, better than George Costanza. When I went to get him out of the back seat he said he didn't like the band and asked to go home. I obeyed him.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:46 PM
Veteran member
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
Well, no.

Nobody's Basenji barks when someone comes to the door.

(They never bark.)

But they do make noises tantamount to a bark.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:50 PM
Veteran member
Thumbs up Leave Them Home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
I grew up with dogs and have always had a dog. My first wife threatened that if I brought home a dog she would lock herself in the bathroom and not come out till I got rid of it. I brought home a dog and kept the dog, now everyone knows where I stand on dogs.
To the point. People, leave your dogs HOME where they belong. Dogs DON'T belong in stores, in restaurants or on your freaking lap as you drive !
You forgot to add they also do not belong in the squares when some kind of event is going on!

Tags
dog, service, wife, vest, couple

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.