Service dogs and rentals

Closed Thread
Old 03-01-2015, 02:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Which changes exactly nothing. Service and comfort animals are protected by law from whatever language you put in your agreement. Why is this so difficult for some to understand? If you think that the service or comfort animal is not really providing a service to the rentee and that they have deceived you, there are very specific questions and documents you may request, and nothing beyond those specific questions and documents. The law is there to protect the less fortunate from people who would otherwise discriminate against them. Apparently many on this thread.
People may be handicapped but they still have their pride and their ethics. There are many homes that rent to dogs. One can be on both sides of this issue you know. not just one or the other. There needs to be protections in law for both sides or people will be abused and people will abuse..
Old 03-01-2015, 02:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Which changes exactly nothing. Service and comfort animals are protected by law from whatever language you put in your agreement. Why is this so difficult for some to understand? If you think that the service or comfort animal is not really providing a service to the rentee and that they have deceived you, there are very specific questions and documents you may request, and nothing beyond those specific questions and documents. The law is there to protect the less fortunate from people who would otherwise discriminate against them. Apparently many on this thread.
The home being rented is not a public place. I would toss them out of my home in a heartbeat! Not because they are disabled, but because they were low life sneaks. I am not discriminating against anyone, nor am I giving anyone preferential treatment, based on disabilities. Comfort animal?? If you are not comfortable without your animal then you should make sure that animal is not a problem toward the comfort of others (including the person you are renting from). Less fortunate? They might be better off than the many on this thread you have accused of discriminating. I believe the advise I offered was fair to all involved, if you have better suggestion lets hear it. If you just want to talk about world peace throw on a pageant dress.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:43 PM
Gold member

Quote:
You think the accommodation of disabled people by property owners will certainly lead to the downfall of civilization? If you read the link you provided, it clearly states that the service/comfort animal must be a non-threat to others and that any damages it causes are the responsibility of the animal owner to repair. So other than making life a little better for a person with a disability, I am not seeing your objection that this accommodation should result in divine retribution from a loving God. Are you suggesting that a disabled person who uses the law to get relief from a no-pet policy deserves to go to Hell?
So purposeful in missing my point about a growing trend of disdain for private property ownership and lawmakers who write loopholes to enable and empower liars who abuse the needed accommodation for disabled people!
Old 03-01-2015, 03:12 PM
Veteran member

My point is the so called service animal is a ruse for some folks that seem to think they are entitled to take their dog any where they please without any thought of others.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:20 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Dirt biker, you're missing the point. While the renter was underhanded and sneaky in the way the animal was mentioned, legally there is nothing the OP can do. Had the Op been renting out the property directly, she could have refused to allow the dog into the home provided she did not own more than three residential properties. Since she used an agency, she has to allow the dog by law. Hometown Properties could have asked the renter to prove the dog was in fact an emotional support animal (comfort animals are NOT considered emotional support animals but, if proven, the animal stays with no additional cleaning fee or pet deposit allowed. Any damage caused by the animal should be paid by the renter but extra cleaning to remove pet hair would not be covered. This is the law according to the FHAA, Section 205.

For an animal to be considered an emotional support animal, the handler must provide a letter from their therapist stating that the handler is their patient and that part of the necessary treatment is the use of an emotional support animal. Details need not be provided nor does the handler need to show any training the animal may have. Since these animals are not considered pets, pet or animal security deposits are not allowed.

For some people, these animals are very necessary. They have been shown to assist tremendously with PTSD situations for example. However, there are some people abusing the system because they don't want to leave their pet behind. These people should be ashamed of themselves. To me, it is the equivalent of parking in a handicapped spot to run into a store. You will probably get away with it, but it is dead wrong and hurts those with a true need.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-01-2015, 03:41 PM
Sage

Redwitch, Thanks for sharing your opinion.

I don't care what the law states, It does not relieve the renter of acting in an ethical manner. There are rental homes that allow dogs, and the renter should have chosen one of those homes if they wish to bring their dog with them. Just because you have a need for a service dog does not mean you get to be excused for acting low life sneaky. This is someone's home, that someone might have an allergy or just a strong dislike to animal scents.

Florida bill would make bogus service-animal claims illegal | www.mypalmbeachpost.com
Old 03-01-2015, 04:10 PM
Sage

My thinking is anyone that has a LEGITIMATE service animal is either going to look for a dog friendly rental or at the very least be up front with the owner and ask if this would be a problem.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:12 PM
Eternal Member

The "service animal" being talked about THIS TIME is a dog. What if the renter had a pot-belly pig or a goat for a comfort animal (service animal that provides comfort)?

Airlines have been required to allow pot-belly pigs and miniature horses in the passenger cabin as comfort animals.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
The "service animal" being talked about THIS TIME is a dog. What if the renter had a pot-belly pig or a goat for a comfort animal (service animal that provides comfort)?

Airlines have been required to allow pot-belly pigs and miniature horses in the passenger cabin as comfort animals.

I am just sitting here shaking my head.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:29 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am just sitting here shaking my head.
Not too many years ago, a passenger in first class had a pot-belly pig as their comfort animal. The pig had not flown before and when the plane started taxiing down the runway, the pig became terrified and began running up and down the aisle squealing and defecating all around first class.

The plane had to be brought back to the gate, passengers disembarked (gladly, probably) and a new plane brought in for service.

Same thing happened with a miniature horse one time.

...and some people don't like flying on planes with children!
Old 03-01-2015, 05:00 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbanker View Post
Redwitch, Thanks for sharing your opinion.

I don't care what the law states, It does not relieve the renter of acting in an ethical manner. There are rental homes that allow dogs, and the renter should have chosen one of those homes if they wish to bring their dog with them. Just because you have a need for a service dog does not mean you get to be excused for acting low life sneaky. This is someone's home, that someone might have an allergy or just a strong dislike to animal scents.

Florida bill would make bogus service-animal claims illegal | www.mypalmbeachpost.com
You'll get no argument from me on this particular renter. My gut tells me they didn't tell the agency because they really didn't have a service dog and didn't want to pay a pet deposit. From what was stated by the OP, it doesn't sound like anyone asked for proof that this was a service or emotional support dog. From the sound of it, the AGENCY fell down on its job and did nothing to protect the homeowner.

BTW, a comfort dog has no legal standing in rental contracts. The animal must be a service dog for someone physically or emotionally disabled. A comfort dog does not meet this criteria and can be denied access to a home. Not sure what the law for comfort critters is re public places like restaurants or airports at this time.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-01-2015, 05:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by missypie View Post
This was the first time that this situation came up.
With Villages Home Town Rental
One wouldn't think so I bet they have an answer

340 Heald Way #200, The Villages, FL 32163
(352) 753-6216
Old 03-01-2015, 05:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
So lets say I have a house to rent. I rent it out using lets say The Villages rental folks. I have a stipulation that there are to be no pets or smoking. The renters move in and then I find out that they have a dog living in the home. I am told the dog has to stay because it is a Service Animal and not a pet. I guess so it goes??

So sorry for you about this. I already have changed the wording in my lease to " No pets or animals of any kind" I am still amazed the low depths people submit other people to because of their selfish ways. More of the I'm entitled because the law says I am mentality. If I felt I needed an animal to provide me emotional comfort there is no way in hell I would subject any person other than my wife [emoji2] to this.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
So lets say I have a house to rent. I rent it out using lets say The Villages rental folks. I have a stipulation that there are to be no pets or smoking. The renters move in and then I find out that they have a dog living in the home. I am told the dog has to stay because it is a Service Animal and not a pet. I guess so it goes??
I would keep the security deposit and make sure my house was thoroughly cleaned & the rugs steam cleaned. No pets was stipulated in the rental contract.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:54 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
Not too many years ago, a passenger in first class had a pot-belly pig as their comfort animal. The pig had not flown before and when the plane started taxiing down the runway, the pig became terrified and began running up and down the aisle squealing and defecating all around first class.

The plane had to be brought back to the gate, passengers disembarked (gladly, probably) and a new plane brought in for service.

Same thing happened with a miniature horse one time.

...and some people don't like flying on planes with children!
This is how entitled and shameless people can be.

"Passengers on a US Airways aircraft waiting to depart Bradley International Airport Wednesday morning were puzzled when they saw a pig board their flight.

Puzzlement turned to concern for one of those passengers, University of Massachusetts-Amherst Professor Jonathan Skolnik, when he realized the open seat next to him in the last row of the Embraer 175 was going to be occupied by the young woman carrying the pig down the aisle.

At first, Skolnik thought the large item the woman was carrying was a duffel bag — except that it was moving. And it stunk. The woman tied the pig's leash to the armrest then began to stow the other items she carried onto the plane, Skolnik wrote in email describing the incident that he sent to The Courant.

"Oh my Lord, where is she going to put that animal," Skolnik wrote. "I am burying my face in my sweater to hide from the stench. ... Now I, who dreads a dog coming too close, am contemplating an hour next to a big pig on the lap of my fellow [passenger]."

And then it got worse: The pig pooped……"

Pooping Pig And Its Owner Booted From Bradley Flight - Hartford Courant
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.