It sets a bad precedent

Closed Thread
Old 11-30-2016, 02:26 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default It sets a bad precedent

My wife asked me what I thought of the homes listed in the Daily Sun which advertised with fences in the back yard.

I told her not much and that The Villages was setting a bad precedent.

The Villages had it right by restricting fences and suggesting natural green barriers. Now with their introduction of privacy fences they created a crack in their own rules.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:48 PM
Platinum member

there's already been a section built with fences. Nash Loop, in Hemingway (I think). So they have experimented with them already and hadn't built any more of them since the ones done then which would have been about 2006. So I doubt it's going to have an impact anywhere else.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:51 PM

I agree. There is a section of new homes under construction in the Village of Pine Hills, visible from the Okeechobee and Escambia golf courses, with high, brown, vinyl fences. Although having a fenced area for pets makes life easier for the owner, I think the fences are unattractive.
Different people buy for different reasons but I would stay away from that area because of the fences.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:15 PM
Veteran member

Great place for barking dogs.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:03 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default Fences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
there's already been a section built with fences. Nash Loop, in Hemingway (I think). So they have experimented with them already and hadn't built any more of them since the ones done then which would have been about 2006. So I doubt it's going to have an impact anywhere else.
Occasionally, The Villages does something a bit different. The homes built on Nash Loop in the Village of Hemingway a few years ago was something different in that they have fenced back yards. I am not aware of any homes like those (approximately 20) small number having been built since about 2006-2007. There are large power lines crossing that area and perhaps the fencing has something to do with the power lines.

Last edited by justjim; 11-30-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnc View Post
I agree. There is a section of new homes under construction in the Village of Pine Hills, visible from the Okeechobee and Escambia golf courses, with high, brown, vinyl fences. Although having a fenced area for pets makes life easier for the owner, I think the fences are unattractive.
Different people buy for different reasons but I would stay away from that area because of the fences.
I agree.

I actually had to look twice, as I couldn't quite believe that a new development was being built with white vinyl fences.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:00 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Occasionally, The Villages does something a bit different. The homes built on Nash Loop in the Village of Hemingway a few years ago was something different in that they have fenced back yards. I am not aware of any homes like those (approximately 20) small number having been built since about 2006-2007. There are large power lines crossing that area and perhaps the fencing has something to do with the power lines.

I can't even imagine what the connection might be between fencing and power lines

Could you 'splain this theory, please?
Old 11-30-2016, 06:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
I can't even imagine what the connection might be between fencing and power lines

Could you 'splain this theory, please?
Absorbs aeolian vibration and corona discharge...due to magnetostriction?
Old 11-30-2016, 06:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Like my insurance policy, that says blah, blah, blah, blah, blah
Old 11-30-2016, 10:01 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
That's why they are brown. The white ones would reflect it toward pedestrians in the street.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:43 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Our lawn guy cuts several lawns at the same time because he has open access. If neighbors began fencing off their properties his task would be increasingly difficult and cost of mowing lawns increased. The same problem applies to other maintenance issues and especially the care and maintenance of the fence itself. Can you spell mildew and mold. don't need more of that

The Villages emphasizes privacy but that cuts both ways for good and for bad such as the affect on neighborhood watch
Old 12-01-2016, 06:52 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts

The more likely reason for this section of homes with fences in this new area and the ones they had in the Harris Court/Blaise Terrace area of Pine Hills is due to the lack of new Courtyard Villas being built in the south end of TV. With the exception of Nash Loop and these two areas, CYVs are the only place you can have a fenced yard.

If you've watched the construction progress of new areas, CYVs are normally the first built and they sell very quickly. I live in a CYV, a decision driven by residing with two Golden Retrievers, and after talking with my neighbors the driving factors for most all of us for buying a CYV was either pets or privacy or both. Yard size/maintenance comes in a distant third and pricing was hardly ever a consideration.

Compare the pricing of new CYVs to similarly sized cottage, designer, and patio villa homes and they are more expensive per sq ft than almost all in the 200-350K price range. Yes, there are many homes with larger lots, upgrades, and pools that are more per sq ft but apple-to-apples the CYVs are more expensive so any though of a low cost alternative goes out the window.

Give the "Developer" their due, they know what sells and know what people want, if they are building homes with fenced yards they are very confident that they'll sell quickly. They are being creative to fill a gap in the inventory at the south end of The Villages.

I'd bet a dozen doughnuts that by the first the year only one or two of these homes are left on the market and these are not the last we'll see.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnc View Post
Was just golfing Okeechobee yesterday and had no idea they were allowing fences. Not attractive, but then again those houses are directly across from those monstrous power lines so I guess the fence goes along with the poor placement of the houses.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Our oldest looked at the homes with the new fences when he was down last. As they were built selling just as quickly.

Problem with the old Courtyard villas is one and a half car garage. The cottage gives you a straight driveway most with a two car garage and a fenced in yard. All of the pluses of the courtyard villa but a better driveway. And you have the ability to do with what you want to the back yard, grass no grass.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:10 AM
Platinum member

also the problem with CYV are many of the windows look out to walls. Some people would like the opportunity to have a more conventional house with a fence, but chose the villas because of pets.
Closed Thread

Tags
fences, villages, precedent, bad, restricting

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.