Sewage Water For Sanibel Area Golf Courses

Closed Thread
Old 10-02-2011, 02:32 PM
Sage

EdVin, you got it 100% right. North of 466, though, we do not have the "grey water" for lawns. All of our house water and lawn water is the same good quality. It also is less expensive than the two-tier water South of 466.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member

From what I understand, it cuts down on using man-made fertilizer. Wow, did that come out right? I mean the fertilizer you have to buy at the garden centers.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Jim -

FWIW - from the VHA's October edition of The Villages Voice:

http://thevha.net/the-villages-voice...35&article=820

Bill
Thanks, Bill...very interesting!
Old 10-02-2011, 08:41 PM

It sounds like golf is going to stink at Bonifay.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:57 PM

Only kidding! I know it's the home irrigation using the surface water that makes the smell Thanks to Bill
Old 10-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTTPF View Post
Only kidding! I know it's the home irrigation using the surface water that makes the smell Thanks to Bill

We knew you were....
Old 10-03-2011, 07:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,621 Times in 1,349 Posts

when i am down i run at 3am and the smell from the sprinklers in buttonwood is over the top and it took me a week to figure out the smell was the water
Old 10-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Treatment station

To the left of the new Binify country club just before the entrance to the new Premier section there appears to be a treatment center for treared waste. If it's true that's what their doing that's where it will come from. As I said earlier thaey were putting some horrible smelling stuff down by tractor the other day. It really smelled like sh..!
Old 10-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Gold member

from my limited experience with golf...I know that at every hole at least one golfer says "s**t"...maybe they are getting what they asked for?
Old 10-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,429 Times in 2,424 Posts

I sent an email to Janet Tutt, here is the reply from her office.
District Utilities Department provided the following information regarding irrigation:
Home Irrigation:

- North of CR 466, homes are irrigated with potable water.

- South of CR 466, homes are irrigated with non-potable water which is comprised of storm water runoff that is collected in water retention areas and groundwater from the lower Floridan aquifer when storm water supplies are not available.

Golf Course Irrigation:

- North of CR 466, golf courses are irrigated with a combination of reclaimed wastewater, storm water runoff that is collected in water retention areas, and groundwater (some upper Floridan and some Lower Floridan, depending on the specific course). The specific irrigation sources used at each course vary. For example, Glenview GC uses reclaimed wastewater, storm water, and upper Floridan groundwater; Amberwood GC uses storm water and lower Floridan groundwater; and Hacienda Hills GC uses reclaimed wastewater and storm water.

- South of CR 466, all golf courses are irrigated with a combination of reclaimed wastewater and lower Floridan groundwater.

Please note that any reclaimed wastewater that is used for golf course irrigation meets the public access reuse standards established by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection.

Yes, it is reclaimed waster water from the sewage treatment facility. However, as indicated, the reclaimed water is only used if it meets public reuse access standards established by Florida Department of Environmental Protection.

The Utilities department has provided the following breakdown between non-potable water and reclaimed water:

Non-Potable water is not for human consumption. It could consist of a combination of lower Floridan aquifer water and storm water runoff, and is chlorinated as it leaves the pumping station.

Reclaimed Water is from the Waste Water Treatment Plant. It is treated and only permitted to irrigate Golf Courses; this water is put through chlorine high disinfection and will not hurt humans if it lands on the skin.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Veteran member
Default Thanks for the info

Bogie thanks for your research and info...........
Old 10-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
To the left of the new Binify country club just before the entrance to the new Premier section there appears to be a treatment center for treared waste. If it's true that's what their doing that's where it will come from. As I said earlier thaey were putting some horrible smelling stuff down by tractor the other day. It really smelled like sh..!
That facility next to the new CC is a water tank for the potable water pumped from the aquifer. It is similar to the tank that exists off Morse near Bonita and should not create any odor. All treatment of sewage for the new sections south of 466A is handled at the same treatment plant on Buena Vista and Bonita that has been serving the areas south of 466. You may have noted the construction that was going on there in the last year. That was to extend the processing capabilities for the new sections.

I have had a tour of the sewage plant and the water that leaves it is very clear and odorless - even though it is not pure enough to drink. As the VHA link indicates, the odor probably arises from the sulfur content of the water that comes from the aquifer level that is used for irrigation.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.