The Sharon

Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2015, 08:37 AM
Veteran member

And we have Publix parking all the way to Winn-Dixie.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:49 AM
Gold member

Doc and Red, why be so pessimistic? Why do you have to try to kill something before you've even seen it or gone to a show. All your complaints about the talent, the venue and the parking are just speculation. I, for one, am very excited that we are getting a venue to attract the kind of shows that an area with a population of over 125,000 deserves.

Why can't we see that this will be the kind of cultural attraction that we've been starved for for years? This will be a very good thing thing for Spanish Springs and will draw customers in from not only the Villages, but the surrounding area as well. I see the possibility of major improvements to both the retail and dining options as the new venue takes hold and continues to offer a variety of music, stage and dance performances.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 03-29-2015, 08:58 AM
Veteran member

Well today's Daily Sun should put to rest the RUMOR about cancelling Square entertainment..... The Sharon opens April 30 and the Gator Paw Band is scheduled for the Square.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 03-29-2015, 09:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Why complain about a top notch venue that gives us options for our entertainmenr dollar? Parking will work itself out. And it's a nice chance to have a night out for dinner and a show.
I guess some of us complain because we think that it could be so much better.

I love The Villages. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I think that the developer has done a magnificent job is almost every aspect of lie here. The one place that I'd say they are weak is in entertainment. I'm sick and tired of seeing DJs and people singing to tracks in the squares. By my definition, that is not live entertainment. It's people playing recordings.

They bring a lot of old washed up entertainers into the Savannah and charge exorbitant prices to see them. The reason for that is that the venue is too small. The Sharon with all of it's state of the art technology is only 150-200 seats larger. This, in my opinion was a big mistake. They should have build a much larger facility in an area that wouldn't inconvenient so many residents who choose not to attend a particular show. A larger venue would have allowed them to bring in people like Springsteen and others that have been mentioned here. It also would have kept the costs reasonable for a lot of the second and third rate entertainers they bring in.

As far as the parking working itself out, I have no idea how that is supposed Sorry, but you'd still have a huge problem. First of all, people in The Villages go home and go to bed at 9:00. I play at events that are scheduled from 5-9 and half the people are rushing out at 8:00. Take a look at the squares most nights. Half the people never hear the fourth set.

Even if you did sell out events that start at 9:00, people don't arrive at 9:00 for a 9:00 show. People come to the area early, have dinner and go to the show at nine.

Parking is going to be a major problem. It's not going to work itself out. It's already a problem when there is market night and Rocky and The Rollers are playing, people are in Gator's Dockside and Margarita Republic watching football and a popular movie is playing at the theater. People are going to be parking a quarter of a mile away.

As luckylilly says, multi level parking garage would make a lot of sense. But I don't see that as The Villages style. It would be unsightly. But then again, the huge orange wall on the west side of Town Square is not the prettiest thing I've ever seen.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMayor View Post
And we have Publix parking all the way to Winn-Dixie.
And on a night when The Sharon has an event the event book in the square could be one of the singers backed by a karaoke band who has a history of not requiring seats in the square to be roped off leaving more parking for The Sharon.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I guess some of us complain because we think that it could be so much better.

I love The Villages. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I think that the developer has done a magnificent job is almost every aspect of lie here. The one place that I'd say they are weak is in entertainment. I'm sick and tired of seeing DJs and people singing to tracks in the squares. By my definition, that is not live entertainment. It's people playing recordings.

They bring a lot of old washed up entertainers into the Savannah and charge exorbitant prices to see them. The reason for that is that the venue is too small. The Sharon with all of it's state of the art technology is only 150-200 seats larger. This, in my opinion was a big mistake. They should have build a much larger facility in an area that wouldn't inconvenient so many residents who choose not to attend a particular show. A larger venue would have allowed them to bring in people like Springsteen and others that have been mentioned here. It also would have kept the costs reasonable for a lot of the second and third rate entertainers they bring in.

As far as the parking working itself out, I have no idea how that is supposed Sorry, but you'd still have a huge problem. First of all, people in The Villages go home and go to bed at 9:00. I play at events that are scheduled from 5-9 and half the people are rushing out at 8:00. Take a look at the squares most nights. Half the people never hear the fourth set.

Even if you did sell out events that start at 9:00, people don't arrive at 9:00 for a 9:00 show. People come to the area early, have dinner and go to the show at nine.

Parking is going to be a major problem. It's not going to work itself out. It's already a problem when there is market night and Rocky and The Rollers are playing, people are in Gator's Dockside and Margarita Republic watching football and a popular movie is playing at the theater. People are going to be parking a quarter of a mile away.

As luckylilly says, multi level parking garage would make a lot of sense. But I don't see that as The Villages style. It would be unsightly. But then again, the huge orange wall on the west side of Town Square is not the prettiest thing I've ever seen.
Again, tons of parking available.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	385.5 KB
ID:	49646  
Old 03-29-2015, 09:30 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I'm not into plays and such but I think the performing arts center is a great addition to the villages but it would be better served had it been located elsewhere, not the square. I see future parking and crowds as a forth coming nightmare.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:30 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
Doc and Red, why be so pessimistic? Why do you have to try to kill something before you've even seen it or gone to a show. All your complaints about the talent, the venue and the parking are just speculation. I, for one, am very excited that we are getting a venue to attract the kind of shows that an area with a population of over 125,000 deserves.

Why can't we see that this will be the kind of cultural attraction that we've been starved for for years? This will be a very good thing thing for Spanish Springs and will draw customers in from not only the Villages, but the surrounding area as well. I see the possibility of major improvements to both the retail and dining options as the new venue takes hold and continues to offer a variety of music, stage and dance performances.
MY problem is that I want more than third-rate or beginning ballet companies and we could have had that had the Morses kept their word and assisted in building a true performing arts center with seating for over 2,000. I'm sorry but I don't consider out-of-date musicals, performers who were in their prime 30+ years ago, etc. the type of entertainment "an area with a population of over 125,000 deserves."

We're a reasonable driving distance from both Tampa and Orlando. We could have easily drawn some of our audience from there. Given what we have, the bookings could be better -- the Miami Ballet Company has a better rep than the Moscow Festival. I'm just disappointed with the entertainment selections made so far. If this is the type of "cultural attraction we've been starved for for years," we have a big problem cause we're going to be paying a premium for mediocrity at best.

Yes, I'm spoiled. I came from a metropolitan area with great concerts and cultural events. But I also enjoyed the venue at the Concord Pavilion, which was a very small venue, where we enjoyed great jazz, light opera, rock/pop concerts from those not quite in their prime but not total has-beens, either.

Hopefully, they will improve with time but only if we let them know we're willing to pay for GOOD entertainment, not mediocre. Sadly, I doubt this will happen. People will pay through the nose just to have something here. Those of us who care about quality will be considered naysayers, whiners, complainers. So be it.

The parking is a wait and see type of thing, so I'll be quiet about it. The list of entertainment is out and it is pretty sad for the prices being asked so far.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-29-2015, 09:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylilly View Post
Instead of all the single car parking lots that are behind the shops in the town squares, why not put in high-rise parking garages. It certainly would hold 6 to 8 times the number of cars. Leave the on street parking to handicap only &/or golf carts. Many times I take a pass on things going on in the squares simply because I get tired of cruising the streets looking for a place to park. If curtailed parking is a means of crowd control. it's working.
Parking garages can cost from $10,000 to $30;000 per parking space.
500 spaces = $5 to $15 million -- Any takers???

In the final analysis this venue was created because the "Family" wanted it.
It will never operate at a profit and will require constant subsidies.
We are very fortunate to be in a place where the Developer is willing to share some of the profits and is culturally sensitive.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Aesthetically speaking I think a parking garage would look out of sorts in the village. However the developer could make it look like another building as they have with so many other things it might work. But is it cost efficient for 3 or 4 months out of the year
Old 03-29-2015, 10:32 AM
Sage

Is it too much to hope to see a lot of the present Savannah entertainment transferred to the Sharon and still maintain reasonable ticket prices? How great it would be to sit comfortably and enjoy our local talent.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Is it too much to hope to see a lot of the present Savannah entertainment transferred to the Sharon and still maintain reasonable ticket prices? How great it would be to sit comfortably and enjoy our local talent.
I would say yes.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

I have no interest in the opera or the ballet.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:48 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I have no interest in the opera or the ballet.
And I have no interest in tribute bands, Broadway that was old when I was young or performers long beyond their prime. However, I do love that The Sharon will have a bit of something for everyone, I just wish that something was of a better quality for all of us.

And I don't see wanting things to be as good as they could be to be whining and think you owe both Doc and me an apology since I haven't seen where either of us whine all that much.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-29-2015, 10:50 AM
Email Reported As Spam

So I wonder why they named it the Sharon Morse Performance Arts Center and also why since they did, that they didn't rename the parking lot at Spanish Spring the Sharon Morse Performance Art Center Parking Lot but why complain when such an altruistic gift is provided solely for the benefits of residents . The only other comparison I can think of, of this magnitude, is the gratitude I get for Comcast beaming their programming, internet and telephone services to me. Thank God for good corporate citizens.

And oh by the way the Center is open to the public so the public can feel the developers love too

P.S. Its what business people do for more profit so please stop making it about you.. None of this is done for you . Business is an impersonal activity because its about money transactions and money looks exactly alike to business people.

Personal Best Regards:
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.