The Sharon ticket scam

Closed Thread
Old 02-25-2018, 09:27 AM

I am happy to report I was able to grab 4 great seats to see Jersey Boys on Saturday April 14 at 2:00 at the Sharon. I have to say I have never seen seats go so fast! The box office opened at 8:30 and I completed my purchase at 8:35.

Since I have frequently purchased seats for popular shows, I became curious regarding what I was seeing and immediately searched the other two dates to see if they were as popular as the matinee. Both the Friday and Saturday night shows were well on there way to being sold out. That would have been within the first 10 - 15 minutes of the box office opening. The thing I noticed as I was purchasing my tickets was that large groups of seats were disappearing, rather then two, four or six at a time. I was really glad I had selected the matinee because I seriously doubt I would have gotten such good seats at either of the evening events.

I know very little about online ticket scalpers other than my daughter has has to pay ridiculous prices for my granddaughter to see performances, due to tickets being purchased by brokers with the first few minutes of a sales offering.

Since the Sharon is such a big part of our Villages lifestyle I would love to see some sort of process be developed which would allow residents to have purchase priority for popular shows. Perhaps a first day sale which would require signing in using our Villages ID might help Villages get first dibs. Just a thought!
Old 02-25-2018, 10:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

If you have a neighborhood group who wants to go to a show one person from that group purchases the tickets to keep the seating together. That could be why groups of seats disappear at a time. And that person chosen to be the seat purchaser is usually the most diligent of the group.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Chi-Town; 02-25-2018 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:43 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Reread the OP's post. He was on the proper web site when ticket sales were supposed to start, only to find that 80% of the seats were already sold. He went to another site to find tickets, only to find that they were grossly overpriced.

It's obvious there is a bot that snapped up most of the tickets in order to resale them at a higher price, as is explained in subsequent posts. Also explained is a way TV can put in place a means to stop that.

I don't think TV is doing this intentionally. I just think they need a better IT person to put these technological stops in place.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing-nut2 View Post
No ticket should be sold to the general public without a village ID for 48 hours after the first tickets go on sale.
This is the simple answer !!
Old 02-25-2018, 02:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by refeik View Post
This is the simple answer !!
I don't think the Sharon (or even Savannah) have ever been a resident only venue. They are doing their part, getting a nice variety of acts at both places. They bid for these acts on a National stage and have a break even point on seats that need to be sold. I wouldn't depend on the resident base to make my numbers, and don't think they should either. There are over 100K people in and around TV and it seats 1100, first come first served as it is in all venues in this country unless you purchase a yearly early advisory subscription.....which might be an option. FYI, check the Orange Blossom Opry, they will sometimes have the same acts as The Sharon and Savannah but do the same thing, first come first served.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-26-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
I went to purchase tickets to The Jersey Boys from the web site. At 8:30 I waited for the ticket site to open. When it did and I went to pick a seat I found that more than 80% of the seats were already sold. All in less than 30 sec.. No computer is that fast. About 20 min later I found another site selling tickets to the Sharon, and what did I find ? all the good seats now for sale on that sit at 2 to 3 times the price. Shame on the owners and management of The Sharon. They are scalping their own tickets to up the profit . I will nerver support your theater again and I hope no one will purchase these scalped tickets.

The same thing happened with tickets to Tony Bennett.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:47 AM

Why hasn’t the Daily Sun reported on this?
Old 02-26-2018, 08:52 AM
Gold member

If no one bought the ridiculously overpriced scalper tickets, the scalpers would go away.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trichard View Post
Why hasn’t the Daily Sun reported on this?
They have. Why didn't you read it?
Old 02-26-2018, 09:00 AM

That is a great idea! If the tickets were available to residents first, we could eliminate many scalpers purchase.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSFentz View Post
That is a great idea! If the tickets were available to residents first, we could eliminate many scalpers purchase.
Read what Jo Mar wrote above.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:25 AM
Veteran member

I agree with tophcfa. Offer tickets to residents only on the first day of sales and in person only. We got 6 tickets at 9AM at the Spanish Springs office for $80 each, but mezzanine were the best we could get. We were lucky. They are now over $400 each on the internet.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts
Default The Sharon ticket scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I don't think the Sharon (or even Savannah) have ever been a resident only venue. They are doing their part, getting a nice variety of acts at both places. They bid for these acts on a National stage and have a break even point on seats that need to be sold. I wouldn't depend on the resident base to make my numbers, and don't think they should either. There are over 100K people in and around TV and it seats 1100, first come first served as it is in all venues in this country unless you purchase a yearly early advisory subscription.....which might be an option. FYI, check the Orange Blossom Opry, they will sometimes have the same acts as The Sharon and Savannah but do the same thing, first come first served.

No one has claimed they should be "resident only" however Allowing resident only purchases for the first 48 hours certainly wouldn't stop outsiders from buying after that period passes. Jersey Boys still would have sold out as would any of the major attractions. If they didn't sell out under those rules they wouldnt have sold out anyway.

As an example American Express offers "advanced purchase" for card holders for many major shows in NYC and other major cities a couple days before they go public. Villages Entertainment could do the same. You still might not get seats but at least you'd beat out the pros and have a fighting chance.

---------
My user name should be EdF(formerly from)NJ and glad to be gone. [emoji3]
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcon View Post
I agree with tophcfa. Offer tickets to residents only on the first day of sales and in person only. We got 6 tickets at 9AM at the Spanish Springs office for $80 each, but mezzanine were the best we could get. We were lucky. They are now over $400 each on the internet.

So instead of anonymous scalpers buying the tickets and reselling, Residents could take over the resale market? It would be a nice source of side income.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:44 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think Cisco means that he doubts very much that the Morse family who own The Sharon are scamming anyone.

I am so tired of Morse slamming posts. It is not a crime to be successful. Many people do it without breaking any laws. They build a better mousetrap.

Gracie. A huge fan of the free market.
They could put a stop to bots buying blocks if they cared to do so. It’s not difficult so they do share blame.
Closed Thread

Tags
site, tickets, sharon, found, seats

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.