Shipping a Car from New Jersey to TV

Closed Thread
Old 10-13-2015, 01:10 PM
Veteran member
Default Shipping a Car from New Jersey to TV

Has anyone shipped a car to The Villages from New Jersey? If you have, would you recommend the shipper you used or not (and who did you use)? Thanks for any advice.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:56 PM

John Mehorter Car Transporter
From NJ - transports on west coast of FL
908-313-7988
Fair price and very reliable!
Old 10-13-2015, 08:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishJW View Post
Has anyone shipped a car to The Villages from New Jersey? If you have, would you recommend the shipper you used or not (and who did you use)? Thanks for any advice.
Be careful. My understanding is that there are a lot of brokers but only a few actual haulers. Prices may not hold up. I finally decided to drive my car here.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Dependable Auto Shippers in Linden N.J. 908-862-2408. My kids use this company to ship cars they buy & sell all over the USA...never a problem yet. Reasonable rates & quick service. Good Luck.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:56 AM
Veteran member

Are you aware of the Amtrak car train that will take you from VA to Sanford FL on the car train. Would recommend a suite for yourself rather than just the reg twin seat as the trip is 16 hours. Auto Train Transports You and Your Car - Lorton, VA - Sanford, FL | Amtrak
Old 10-14-2015, 09:43 AM
Veteran member

Thanks - I was aware of this and do not plan on using a broker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Be careful. My understanding is that there are a lot of brokers but only a few actual haulers. Prices may not hold up. I finally decided to drive my car here.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:45 AM
Veteran member

Maybe it is just us but we have had many delays and disruptions traveling to and from DC. To use the train, we would have to drive through what we consider to be the most problematic part of our trip. That is just one of the reasons why we want to ship this particular car. Thanks for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner52 View Post
Are you aware of the Amtrak car train that will take you from VA to Sanford FL on the car train. Would recommend a suite for yourself rather than just the reg twin seat as the trip is 16 hours. Auto Train Transports You and Your Car - Lorton, VA - Sanford, FL | Amtrak
Old 10-14-2015, 10:24 AM
Sage

We used Dependable to ship a car from CA to FL years ago. I was impressed by the inspection that occurred when we dropped it off. The inspector and I together cataloged every smudge, scrape, scratch, etc. on the car and repeated that when it was delivered. There was no damage to the car, it just needed to be washed. We paid extra for top placement on the trailer and for delivery to our home. Otherwise we would have to pick up the car at their depot in Orlando (I think).
Old 10-14-2015, 10:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,197 Times in 2,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishJW View Post
Maybe it is just us but we have had many delays and disruptions traveling to and from DC. To use the train, we would have to drive through what we consider to be the most problematic part of our trip. That is just one of the reasons why we want to ship this particular car. Thanks for the link.
Jim, I used autotrain for 4 different vehicles, on 3 different trips. I agree with your concerns about 95. We are from the Allentown area, so we went to Harrisburg, took 15 south, to 267, then 495 to 95. Total distance on 495 and 95 is around 10 miles. We found this to be a very pleasant way to get around phila, Baltimore and DC.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:06 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsamms View Post
John Mehorter Car Transporter

From NJ - transports on west coast of FL
908-313-7988
Fair price and very reliable!
He does not seem to return calls.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:27 PM

If you leave a message, he should call you back....may be on the road. His e-mail is: mehorterautotransport@gmail.com

John took my father's car from NJ to The Villages at least 3-4 times and was very helpful. Hope it works out for you.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:50 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsamms View Post
If you leave a message, he should call you back....may be on the road. His e-mail is: mehorterautotransport@gmail.com

John took my father's car from NJ to The Villages at least 3-4 times and was very helpful. Hope it works out for you.

Thank you for that email address.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:30 AM

We used DAS 10 years ago to ship my Honda Civic from NJ to FL. Yes, the inspection report when the car was picked up was very thorough. We even took photos. DELIVERY WAS A DISASTER. They called us in FL the day the car was to be delivered, asking how to disarm the alarm (we could hear it blaring over the phone). When they arrived, they rolled the car off the flatbed and had to jump start the battery in the street. They drove the car into the driveway. First thing we noticed was that the front license plate was missing. And the rear plate was gone as well. BIG dent in the right rear quarter panel. And the alarm did not work - at all. We immediately called the local FL police, who came out and filed a report that the license plates had been stolen. All this was indicated on the DAS delivery report. It wasn't until later that day (once the bright sun was no longer shining directly on the hood) that we noticed several small dents around the edge of the hood, apparently from (an attempt of) being pried open. We immediately called DAS - it was just a few hours after delivery, and the car had not been moved. They refused to send someone to inspect. Since the hood dents were not noted on the "official" report at the time of delivery, DAS refused to cover those repairs. I often wonder what crimes have been committed with a vehicle bearing my stolen license plates. And I always check the walls in Cody's and other establishments that decorate with license plates...just in case!
It was an awful experience. Good luck!
Old 10-16-2015, 08:26 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
Thank you for that email address.
Mr Mehorter does not answer phone calls or emails. His address seems to indicate he operates out of his home.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:30 PM
Veteran member

I’ve been watching this thread with great interest, since when/if the time comes, I’ll be shipping from WA to TV.

Any recommendations for west to east shipping? I checked out Dependable Auto Shippers and they have hundreds of complaints. I’ll pass on that one but any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
Closed Thread

Tags
jersey, car, advice, shipped, villages, recommend, shipping, shipper

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.