shoe build up

Closed Thread
Old 12-06-2021, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd2 View Post
Help! Does anyone know who can do a shoe build-up? Not just an insert in the shoe but an actual build-up on the sole of the shoe. I had a hip replacement and one leg is 1/2" longer than the other now.
MR. GOOGLE can help
Old 12-06-2021, 08:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I don’t know if this will help you or not, but it might be worth a try until you find someone to build up the shoe itself. . .

About 3 years ago, I twisted my ankle. The podiatrist at home did an x-ray and put me in an ankle brace. Nothing was broken.

When we got back to FL, it started to really hurt — a lot, so I went to a podiatrist in TV. She figured out what was wrong and put me in a boot. (It took an MRI to show I had torn a tendon.)

She told me to get a simple, little contraption called an EVENup. She did not have them, but she said I could get one on Amazon.

In just the few days I waited for my Amazon order, clomping around in that boot made the opposite hip really sore. (I had never had hip problems before and I don’t now.)

The EVENup straps on the bottom of the opposite shoe and does exactly what its name says it will do.

I was in that boot for 6 or 8 weeks, as I recall, but the tendon tear was not a big one and it healed, no surgery.

Although being in a boot for my ankle was not exactly fun, at least I was even-upped and did not have to pull my opposite hip joint in a weird way.

I had never been in a boot before and was so surprised at how walking lopsided could affect the opposite hip and make it so sore. Had it not been for the EVENup, I probably would have spent those weeks doing a whole lot of sitting around because walking would have hurt so much. But I did fine. That EVENup took care of the problem right away and that sure made me happy.

I understand that your situation is permanent and mine was temporary. But maybe this information can help you while you get your shoes taken care of.

Boomer

PS: I am pretty sure there is a poster here who is a podiatrist who would be happy to tell us if I am giving you bad advice. Meanwhile, look up the EVENup and see if it could make sense for you temporarily.
Somebody call?

Yes your advice is great for someone in a walking boot, but not a permanent solution.

Either a heel lift (inside the shoe), a 1/4 inch may suffice, since most people or off by 1/8-1/4" anyway, and never even notice it. But the other answer is to add the 1/2" to the bottom of the sole. I have several patients I've referred out for this and on patient (due to polio) needs about 4# added to every pair of shoes he owns.

And decent shoe repair shop will be able to remove the current sole, add the appropriate amount of lift, the re-attach the sole.

Sorry, but I don't know of any here in TV area, but if you're in DC, I've got a guy...

-Tom Petty
Old 12-06-2021, 08:27 AM

The same thing happened to me. Even with the inserts I still limp. When I asked the surgeon he said get the other hip replaced.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:51 AM

There is a shoe store on 466 in the plaza near Bone Fish. Husband had shoe built up due to hip problem. Can't remember the name of the place. Also a shoe store on 466 near Bargains and Treasures across 466 from Walmart. Again, can't remember the name of it.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:58 AM
Veteran member
Default Hip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
Wow, that’s a bummer. Never heard of that happening.

I would think a shoe repair place could do something.

I quickly googled, and came up with this: CRAFTY COBBLER - 14 Photos & 13 Reviews - Shoe Repair - 2204 E Silver Springs Blvd, Ocala, FL - Phone Number

Hope it helps.
Very common according to my surgeon. Just had mine done 3 weeks ago and that leg is definitely longer. Dr. and research all say very common and more noticeable because you've been walking on a short leg for a long time. The trade off to be pain free and able to walk, bike and be active is well worth it.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

Try a podiatrist.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singerlady View Post
A shoe repair shop can do it. My grampa had one for years.
If you are covered by Medicare Part B, contact a Certified Orthotist. They should know how to give you the best gait and roll off at the toe.
Old 12-06-2021, 12:24 PM
Veteran member

Thanks to all of you who replied! I will be checking into your suggestions. 1/2" difference cannot be fixed by inserts. The bottom of the shoe must be built up. Years ago I tried shoe repair places here before and could not find one but will go back and try again. There was one in Leesburg but he retired.
Old 12-06-2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie'sDad View Post
The same thing happened to me. Even with the inserts I still limp. When I asked the surgeon he said get the other hip replaced.
Now I’m getting spooked here. I have to see a hip doctor, haven’t found one yet, soon to see if I need hip replacement but never heard that you can be shorter on one side when done.
Old 12-06-2021, 02:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

When I had my knee surgery my leg finished up eleven and a half inches longer than the other.
Evidently when the surgeon asked about length adjustment for the replacement knee, one of the nurses was admiring my middle leg, and shouted, "God help us, that's nearly a foot long!"
Hence the discrepancy!
Old 12-06-2021, 04:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
Try a podiatrist.
They won't modify your shoes, but they should know of a good shop that will...

-Tom Petty
Old 12-06-2021, 04:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd2 View Post
Thanks to all of you who replied! I will be checking into your suggestions. 1/2" difference cannot be fixed by inserts. The bottom of the shoe must be built up. Years ago I tried shoe repair places here before and could not find one but will go back and try again. There was one in Leesburg but he retired.
Yes, but if you fix half the deformity (1/4", which CAN be done with OTC heel lift), it might solve your problem, since most people won't notice that small a difference...

-Tom Petty
Old 12-06-2021, 04:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbs317 View Post
Now I’m getting spooked here. I have to see a hip doctor, haven’t found one yet, soon to see if I need hip replacement but never heard that you can be shorter on one side when done.
Shorter OR longer...

-Tom Petty
Old 12-06-2021, 04:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
When I had my knee surgery my leg finished up eleven and a half inches longer than the other.
Evidently when the surgeon asked about length adjustment for the replacement knee, one of the nurses was admiring my middle leg, and shouted, "God help us, that's nearly a foot long!"
Hence the discrepancy!
The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Old 12-07-2021, 07:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
Dr had a defective ruler
Doctor skipped the carpentry rotation in medical school. “ measure twice…cut once”!
Closed Thread

Tags
shoe, build-up, hip, replacement, sole

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.