Shooting at Applebee's in Lady Lake this morning. (Tuesday).

Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2023, 01:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedChariot View Post
I think the fact that this is not a gated community is a major factor. Relative lived in Lakewood Ranch in 2 different areas. One entrance I could not enter at all. Not manned at the time so no card no entrance. The main entrance we had to stop. Our name and license plate written down. They documented who we were visiting. Only after that were we able to pass through the gate. Prior to living here, I did not realize how important a gated community can be. And wasn't Morse smart when he decided to have the roads fall under the local jurisdictions so that anyone can enter here and ride around. Not!
Good post. Our gates ONLY give us an unwarranted feeling of safety. It is like a mirage.
Old 03-11-2023, 01:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,365 Times in 2,083 Posts

///?

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 03-11-2023 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-11-2023, 01:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
No but a state Stand your Ground law is. Someone has their hand in their pocket? You can shoot them. Justification: "I thought he was reaching for his weapon, I considered it a threat to my personal safety and defended myself."
That does tend to promote a "quick-draw" mentality.
Old 03-11-2023, 01:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,386 Times in 4,371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
To show a fairly large presence that will deter crimes BEFORE they happen.
You mean all of that crime that already doesn't happen?

Crime Rate in The Villages

According to the most recent FBI reports, The Villages are among the safest places to live in Florida. With about 2,116 crimes per 100,000 people, the crime rate in The Villages is about 40% lower than the national average. The violent crime rate is about 41% lower than average as well.

-Tom Petty
Old 03-11-2023, 01:26 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,915 Times in 3,717 Posts

Quote:
To show a fairly large presence that will deter crimes BEFORE they happen.
But The Villages is pretty much crime-less now.

What crimes are you wanted a presence for in order to deter??
and
How many coppers are needed???

Provide facts, don't need unsupported opinions.
Old 03-11-2023, 01:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
A "fight" can be physical or verbal...
I know.

The most current update I've seen is News 6, two days ago and they are reporting verbal.
Old 03-11-2023, 01:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
That is also not true. He was arguing with someone to open the door for him and that person did just that. Arguing not fighting.
Didi you miss this part?

"After the incident, several patrons escaped, employees locked the doors to the restaurant and called 911. Police allege Hudson got inside the restaurant through a side door despite attempts to keep him out. After starting a fight in the Applebee's, police say a customer who was armed shot and killed the man because Hudson allegedly reached into his pocket."

"Hudson got inside the restaurant through a side door despite attempts to keep him out"

It says nothing about someone "opening the door to let him in"...

And it specifically says "after starting a fight"...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-11-2023, 01:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
That does tend to promote a "quick-draw" mentality.
He who hesitates get's shot...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-11-2023, 01:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Stuff does seem to happen in the Lady Lake area of the Villages more often. The Melinda Duckett suicide was somewhere up there. That case was national news so there was a lot of material in The Villages Daily Sun about it.

Probably there is more news of the bad kind happening because of 441/27 and the people coming in from there.

We never did learn what happened to Trenton Duckett.
i remember that story. i always thought the mother passed him off to some relatives or friend, but we won't really know. no remains showed up after all these years, which leads me to think he was 'adopted' out
Old 03-11-2023, 01:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
But The Villages is pretty much crime-less now.

What crimes are you wanted a presence for in order to deter??
and
How many coppers are needed???

Provide facts, don't need unsupported opinions.
I had tools worth $5,000 dollars stolen 5 years ago. That IS hard to put into the rearview mirror. And it is a KNOWN FACT that murders nationwide have increased in the last 3 years after the Pandemic. The US is NOT protecting its borders (both South and North ) from both criminal and perhaps non-criminal, BUT still illegal immigrants that I and no US citizen have ever gotten to vote about whether it should happen. It is also VERY OBSERVABLE that nationwide there is a vanishing middle-class, which is universally known to INCREASE potential crime. It is true that The Villages IS a UNIQUE wealthy bubble surrounded by have-nots. I am just trying to warn senior residents that future conditions seem poised to tend toward VIOLENCE.
.......Better to be WARNED and something NOT HAPPEN than something HAPPEN that a person is NOT prepared for.
.......As practical proof about the danger from increasing crime that real people here locally feel. I was just down to Rural King and the table of cartridges and shotgun shells was just about empty. 10 years ago it would have been filled. People realize that CRIME locally IS a BIG problem.
Old 03-11-2023, 01:49 PM
Sage

A few years ago my home was robbed of $5K worth of tools. That IS hard to forget.
Old 03-11-2023, 01:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
I had tools worth $5,000 dollars stolen 5 years ago.
If in TV and true, this is your only fact about crime in TV and needing more police.

Old 03-11-2023, 02:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
A few years ago my home was robbed of $5K worth of tools. That IS hard to forget.
Murders are up nationwide for the last 3 years. The Villages is a bunch of rich older people SURROUNDED by neighborhoods of angry, JEALOUS have-NOTS. It IS INEVITABLE that there will be increasing crimes and clashes between these 2 groups. I am simply trying to warn older citizens that it is LIKELY that crime increases in the next several years here in OUR Bubble.
........Nationwide, murders are up in the last 3 years. Another problem is that the US has LOST its middle-class which can act as a socially stabilizing force to LOWER violence. Also, nationwide and in Florida Public schools have teachers quitting in DROVES - FORETELLING another removal of a stabilizing social FORCE.
.........I was just down to Rural King and the table where ammo is kept was almost empty. 10 years ago that same table would have been full. There are signs of social instability and potential crime ALL around.
......The Villages is VERY POTENTIALLY vulnerable to violence. It is just a matter of time. I say, better to have a fairly large Police presence and NEVER need them than have a small Police presence that does NOT deter crime in the 1st place.

Last edited by jimjamuser; 03-12-2023 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-11-2023, 02:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,365 Times in 2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Didi you miss this part?

"After the incident, several patrons escaped, employees locked the doors to the restaurant and called 911. Police allege Hudson got inside the restaurant through a side door despite attempts to keep him out. After starting a fight in the Applebee's, police say a customer who was armed shot and killed the man because Hudson allegedly reached into his pocket."

"Hudson got inside the restaurant through a side door despite attempts to keep him out"

It says nothing about someone "opening the door to let him in"...

And it specifically says "after starting a fight"...
How do you fight with someone when the door is locked and you are on the other side? This was people talking at one another.
Old 03-11-2023, 02:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Murders at up nationwide for the last 3 years. The Villages is a bunch of rich older people SURROUNDED by neighborhoods of angry, JEALOUS have-NOTS. It IS INEVITABLE that there will be increasing crimes and clashes better these 2 groups. I am simply trying to warn older citizens that it is LIKELY that crime increases in the next several years here in OUR Bubble.
........Nationwide, murders are up in the last 3 years. Another problem is that the US has LOST its middle-class which can act as a socially stabilizing force to LOWER violence. Also, nationwide and in Florida Public schools have teachers quitting in DROVES - FORETELLING another removal of a stabilizing social FORCE.
.........I was just down to Rural King and the table where ammo is kept was almost empty. 10 years ago that same table would have been full. There are signs of social instability and potential crime ALL around.
......The Villages is VERY POTENTIALLY vulnerable to violence. It is just a matter of time. I say, better to have a fairly large Police presence and NEVER need them than have a small Police presence that does NOT deter crime in the 1st place.
Wow! It's sad that you have such a poor and disparaging view of our neighbors outside TV...

And if you think that TV is nothing but a "bunch of rich people", I suggest that you visit Naples, or Palm Beach, or Boca Raton...

I've found TV to be a mix of everything form retired Blue Collar workers, Teachers, Nurses, Firefighters, Cops, Nurses, Doctors, Lawyers and Indian Chiefs. With housing prices from the mid/low $200s to well over a $Million...

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
involved, shooting, facts, carry, concealed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.