Shooting at Applebee's in Lady Lake this morning. (Tuesday).

Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2023, 10:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,384 Times in 4,371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedChariot View Post
I think the fact that this is not a gated community is a major factor. Relative lived in Lakewood Ranch in 2 different areas. One entrance I could not enter at all. Not manned at the time so no card no entrance. The main entrance we had to stop. Our name and license plate written down. They documented who we were visiting. Only after that were we able to pass through the gate. Prior to living here, I did not realize how important a gated community can be. And wasn't Morse smart when he decided to have the roads fall under the local jurisdictions so that anyone can enter here and ride around. Not!
You responded:

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Applebees isn’t inside TV proper, so gate not appropriate.
Then, you posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Have no idea of the Lakewood Ranch you are posting about, did you mix up posts?
Well, you replied to a post citing the community of "Lakewood Ranch", and I responded to your response...

So no I did not mix up posts...

Did you forget what you posted?

-Tom Petty
Old 03-11-2023, 10:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
We have lived here since June of 2005 and found it quite safe relative to Wildwood, Ocala, Fruitland Park, Orlando and other surrounding areas. I does help that many Villagers are retired military and/or law enforcement and are often armed. But do seem very careful about when they pull their weapons out. The training they received helps. But the wanna-be John Wayne like approach is a bad one. Probably because it kicks the nest of tort lawyers.
Where does this "wanna-be John Wayne like approach" exist? Other than in your imagination?

-Tom Petty
Old 03-11-2023, 10:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,365 Times in 2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Where does this "wanna-be John Wayne like approach" exist? Other than in your imagination?
Lots of places. The man who killed Trayvon Martin for instance--George Zimmerman. The police who took down George Floyd which happened in Minneapolis. Instances where a lynch mob mentality creeps in and which throws caution and compassion to the wind.

Shoot first and ask questions later.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 03-11-2023 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-11-2023, 10:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Lots of places. The man who killed Trayvon Martin for instance--George Zimmerman. The police who took down George Floyd which happened in Minneapolis. Instances where a lynch mob mentality creeps in and which throws caution and compassion to the wind.

Shoot first and ask questions later.

Wait... Didn't you say that the police are trained about when to pull out their weapons? Was George Floyd shot?

As to George Zimmerman, he never used his weapon until he was having his head slammed into a concrete sidewalk... Sound's pretty restrained to me...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-11-2023, 11:07 PM
Sage

Quote:

Wait... Didn't you say that the police are trained about when to pull out their weapons? Was George Floyd shot?

As to George Zimmerman, he never used his weapon until he was having his head slammed into a concrete sidewalk... Sound's pretty restrained to me...
You are good at taking things out-of-context. The important point is making life changing decisions on very little evidence. I never said all cops are well- trained and act thoughtfully.

And we have very different takes on Treyvon Martin and his killer George Zimmerman.
Old 03-12-2023, 08:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
Isn't that called "Minnesota nice"?
Sounds to me like Minnesota "ICE".
Old 03-12-2023, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ele201 View Post
Yes Morse was smart. Because they did Not want the Villages to be closed off. Because through traffic means more opportunities for Sales! People see it, then want to buy (maybe). It’s not gated , it’s open. All you have to do is press the red button (like a clowns nose). Couldn’t resist that!
A pessimistic person might say, "What they were REALLY SELLING was the DECEPTION of a SAFE and really GATED community". It's like the glass-half-full situation often talked about.........here is a situation of either safe and wonderful or unsafe, deceptive, and pandering to the public!
Old 03-12-2023, 08:42 AM

Quote:
You are good at taking things out-of-context. The important point is making life changing decisions on very little evidence. I never said all cops are well- trained and act thoughtfully.

And we have very different takes on Treyvon Martin and his killer George Zimmerman.
This could be it's own thread. But it wouldn't last long once the truth comes out.
Old 03-12-2023, 09:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Let me guess, you think Kyle Rittenhouse is a killer also.

Believe me, if criminals start getting blasted by folks defending themselves who live in TV word will get out quickly, suspects prey on the weak.

Florida’s stand-your-ground law should be a model for other states.
Old 03-12-2023, 09:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgibson View Post
let me guess, you think kyle rittenhouse is a killer also.

Believe me, if criminals start getting blasted by folks defending themselves who live in tv word will get out quickly, suspects prey on the weak.

ditto!!!!
Old 03-12-2023, 09:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGibson View Post

Believe me, if criminals start getting blasted by folks defending themselves who live in TV word will get out quickly, suspects prey on the weak.

Let us get back to this week or so. How was this shooter in Lady Lake defending himself? There are not enough facts available to say one or another. And he looks trigger happy acting very quickly without actually knowing what was going on unless there are other facts.
Old 03-12-2023, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,742 Times in 1,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGibson View Post

Much truth in that.

I remember when permit-to-carry became law in Minnesota about 20 or so years ago. Of course we heard all the doleful prophecies about bodies piling up in the streets. Didn’t happen, of course. But what DID happen is interesting—and instructive. A lot of businesses put up those signs (I think some organizations were even giving them away) to the effect that GUNS ARE NOT ALLOWED ON THESE PREMISES. The signs came down right quick when it became evident that those were the businesses that were getting held up!

Bad guys just don’t like their targets shooting back.
Old 03-12-2023, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,970 Times in 5,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Much truth in that.

I remember when permit-to-carry became law in Minnesota about 20 or so years ago. Of course we heard all the doleful prophecies about bodies piling up in the streets. Didn’t happen, of course. But what DID happen is interesting—and instructive. A lot of businesses put up those signs (I think some organizations were even giving them away) to the effect that GUNS ARE NOT ALLOWED ON THESE PREMISES. The signs came down right quick when it became evident that those were the businesses that were getting held up!

Bad guys just don’t like their targets shooting back.
The signs are not enforceable anyway.
Old 03-12-2023, 10:41 AM

Quote:
The Villages Florida
Old 03-12-2023, 11:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
I've heard this from some other people. Odd thing is, I haven't experienced it. Not even once. It is pretty safe to say that my wife and I probably have more non-Villager friends, than we do IN The Villages. In fact we're taking care of a farm for the next two weeks for a couple who we are friends with, while they are gone. It is a relaxing, refreshing change from Villages life (though in honesty anything more than two weeks would be more suited to a much younger man).

People tend to see what they are conditioned to see. If someone expects to see non-Villagers as "angry, jealous have-nots", then it is pretty sure that that is what they WILL see. For myself, I try to see people for what they are, and not according to some stereotype or other. The locals I've met have been warm, sincere, down-to-earth folks who have a refreshing honesty. Some of them were a bit circumspect upon first meeting (I suppose stereotypes work both ways, and my Minnesota accent is as good as wearing a sign), but it didn't take long at all for that to disappear.

People are people. Ignoring the stereotypes while giving each other the benefit of the doubt is by far the more rewarding way to go.
EXCELLENT reply
Closed Thread

Tags
involved, shooting, facts, carry, concealed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.