Should I avoid some Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2024, 12:36 PM
Default Should I avoid some Villages?

Everyone from a big city knows, there are some places you avoid, and some places you don't want to live; some are even nice areas, but they are close to not so nice areas.

While I understand there's probably nothing bad within TV, I am concerned about surrounding areas. Even bubbles have edges.
Old 05-09-2024, 12:47 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,416 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsPete View Post
Everyone from a big city knows, there are some places you avoid, and some places you don't want to live; some are even nice areas, but they are close to not so nice areas.

While I understand there's probably nothing bad within TV, I am concerned about surrounding areas. Even bubbles have edges.
There are "bad edges" everywhere in Florida. Once living in the state you will know where not to venture. All of the villages within TV are safe. You can easily look up crime statistics for all of the surrounding communities.
Old 05-09-2024, 01:04 PM

I would worry less about the edges of the bubble than the noise coming from nearby highways, cart paths, pickleball courts, etc. Before buying, take some time in front and back yards and listen to the background noise. Lawnmowers, power washers can be heard anywhere. Having played golf on Southern Oaks, I would hate to live that close to the turnpike.

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978)
Old 05-09-2024, 01:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,350 Times in 2,071 Posts

I recall that Talk Host had moved too close to the train tracks in the northwestern part of the Villages. And I have heard that some places near Florida turnpike can be rather noisy. And some areas have problems with lights.
Old 05-09-2024, 01:12 PM

Having grown up in North Minneapolis, I think I know what you are referring to and would be happy to tell you that you won't really find that here. Take the advice of others and spend sometime in the area you think you want to live in. Do it at different times of the day and have an idea of what's most important to you, if its quietness, close to things or maybe you don't mind a little drive to get to something.

The biggest thing I had to get used to here when moving from Mpls, was this is more like a small town. Outside of the big box stores, many things close early and are not open on the weekends or sometimes just not on Sunday's. Great example is Hardware stores, I love going to Ace but if I don't get there before 6pm or if it's Sunday, I need to plan to go to Lowe's or Home Depot....
Old 05-09-2024, 01:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,181 Times in 5,402 Posts

I personally would avoid being too close to the turnpike or quarry but we are all different and what we would do others might not
Old 05-09-2024, 02:07 PM
Gold member

I also did not want to be on an edge of The Villages. The reason mostly being any non-Villages property could be developed into anything. A beautiful country view could turn into high rise apartments or a restaurant, or anything. If you purchase within a Village you will be able to see what you get.
Old 05-09-2024, 02:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,269 Times in 2,291 Posts

One other word of caution: be wary of any location that has an open field behind it. In the future you will have no idea of what might end up in that field and you will have no control over that change unless you buy the field. This would generally apply to locations along the outside of the villages, but there are occasional interior lots NOT owned by the villages and therefore not under their control.
Old 05-09-2024, 03:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,215 Times in 2,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
One other word of caution: be wary of any location that has an open field behind it. In the future you will have no idea of what might end up in that field and you will have no control over that change unless you buy the field. This would generally apply to locations along the outside of the villages, but there are occasional interior lots NOT owned by the villages and therefore not under their control.
That’s very good advice. Parcels of land can also have their zoning changed, so don’t rely on current zoning status as protection. I will add that depending on your interests and preferred lifestyle, different parts of the Villages might be either more, or less, appealing to you.
Old 05-09-2024, 03:37 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,214 Times in 766 Posts

If you're talking about crime, then this is a safe place. Outside of the bubble is like any other town, has its ups and downs.
Old 05-09-2024, 05:41 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
That’s very good advice. Parcels of land can also have their zoning changed, so don’t rely on current zoning status as protection. I will add that depending on your interests and preferred lifestyle, different parts of the Villages might be either more, or less, appealing to you.
Correct
Although I think if your property backs up to the power lines and the acreage around it...youre probably good on future development.
Old 05-09-2024, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsPete View Post

Up front I will say the The Villages, as a whole, is a very safe and comfortable place to retire to and live. We bought back in 2006 and were snowbirds until making things full time in 2012. Add another 12 years (really how possible) and we still love living here. We were young 52 and 51 and felt like the odd ones. Never was a problem with great neighbors and eventually friends.

There should be a place and situation for anyone who desires a nice life and comfortable surroundings. This just could be it.
Old 05-09-2024, 06:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,181 Times in 5,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Correct
Although I think if your property backs up to the power lines and the acreage around it...youre probably good on future development.
True but who wants to be on top of a power line
Old 05-09-2024, 07:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,215 Times in 2,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Correct
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
True but who wants to be on top of a power line
That’s why we bought with a wildlife preserve behind us. It can’t be developed, it’s part of the flood control system, without power lines but full of a beautiful variety of wildlife.
Old 05-09-2024, 07:12 PM

We did the 3rd time around as well. Best decision ever.
Closed Thread

Tags
areas, places, nice, avoid, concerned

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.