Should I avoid some Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2024, 08:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,001 Times in 2,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsPete View Post
Everyone from a big city knows, there are some places you avoid, and some places you don't want to live; some are even nice areas, but they are close to not so nice areas.

While I understand there's probably nothing bad within TV, I am concerned about surrounding areas. Even bubbles have edges.

I’d stay out of Orlando don’t believe me watch Orlando news.
Old 05-10-2024, 03:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,477 Times in 2,556 Posts

I would avoid the Village of Winifred.
Priciest place to buy in TV!
Old 05-10-2024, 04:31 AM

You’ll be fine here no worries…….know if you own a dog and you let it take a crap in yard that’s another story !!
Old 05-10-2024, 04:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,646 Times in 963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
True but who wants to be on top of a power line
If you are talking about Crime, there are no villages you need to avoid, the entire Villages is very safe.

There are personal reasons you may want to avoid certain lots; but that. Is up to you - everyone has their own reasons.
Old 05-10-2024, 04:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,628 Times in 598 Posts

I thought OP was asking about is it Safe outside of the bubble of TV. Not what warnings of what village to live in, due to ________ don’t buy there.

So OP I will give you places We don’t feel comfortable driving, because if you are in TV walking it would take a long while to be out of the edges

Inside TV we still have a fair amount of wildlife, bear, bird of prey, bobcats, coyotes, fox and of course gators. Walking early morning or evening one should always be careful especially the woods, ponds, and the prairies.

Once you are outside of the bubble some neighborhoods, say behind Russell Stover make me a little uneasy. Wildwood Post office is in a strip mall, with an Ace hardware, that we frequent, we used to go to restaurant and little shops on 301 Wildwood, but parking was a nightmare. As I type they are building a prefab 2 story parking garage, but many little businesses have closed. But you have Miz Cathy’s, thrift shop, and the train store. Hopefully with the parking some mom and pop will come back.
Really outside of TV, Once a month we go to Gainesville and enjoy restaurants and shopping. Clermont, we go to Costco, 5/3 bank and restaurants. Disney is 50 minutes along with the rest of the parks. We travel occasionally to Ocala, and Orlando, like any city some parts are not where I want to be day or night.

But once thing to consider living in TV, pretty much anything you need is within TV bubble. Yes if you live south of 44 it will take you 20-40 minutes to go to the northern areas, but compared to our northern house quality shopping was more than an hour.
Old 05-10-2024, 04:58 AM
Veteran member

You may want to avoid areas where city taxes apply. Some villages are within city limits of Wildwood, Fruitland Park and others. Not only will you pay county property tax but also a city tax with no added benefits. Also some areas have higher bonds than others.
Old 05-10-2024, 05:04 AM

"Having grown up in North Minneapolis, I think I know what you are referring to and would be happy to tell you that you won't really find that here."

so, what is in north Minneapolis, that this person would not find here, and you think the person is referring to? can you enlighten me?
Old 05-10-2024, 05:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,698 Times in 640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevatorman View Post
You may want to avoid areas where city taxes apply. Some villages are within city limits of Wildwood, Fruitland Park and others. Not only will you pay county property tax but also a city tax with no added benefits. Also some areas have higher bonds than others.
That is a very good suggestion.

We bought our house in Osceola Hills in 2016. We pay tax to Sumter County but we pay no city tax.

In 2016, The Villages was also building new houses in Pine Ridge and Pine Hills. However, those houses were located in the city of Fruitland Park, and the owners have to pay a yearly tax to that city.

I recall a posting in which a new owner in St. Catherine complained about paying tax to the city of Wildwood. He said, "Why should I pay tax to Wildwood when it is several miles away from our house?'

I responded, "Go out your front door and look around. You are in Wildwood. You just didn't know it."
Old 05-10-2024, 05:49 AM

Think less about crime and what a village has/doesn't have. For example, we wanted a gas stove and prefer gas appliances to electric. When we started looking Chitty-Chatty was being built and looked there. Loved the village....but no gas.

We wanted to be closer to a turnpike on ramp, 301, and 75, so that put us on the west side of the Villages verses in the middle of The Villages.

As others have said, I'd stay away from open non-Villages fields behind you.....know exactly what is all around your home.
Old 05-10-2024, 06:17 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike234 View Post
"Having grown up in North Minneapolis, I think I know what you are referring to and would be happy to tell you that you won't really find that here."

so, what is in north Minneapolis, that this person would not find here, and you think the person is referring to? can you enlighten me?
I think we all know what the poster was referring to.....

North Minneapolis | CURA Twin Cities Gentrification Project
Old 05-10-2024, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
I think we all know what the poster was referring to.....

North Minneapolis | CURA Twin Cities Gentrification Project
really? you are speaking for the o.p. and everyone else here? I have no idea what he was asking, and referring to. I asked the o.p.
thank you very much
Old 05-10-2024, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
I thought OP was asking about is it Safe outside of the bubble of TV. Not what warnings of what village to live in, due to ________ don’t buy there.

So OP I will give you places We don’t feel comfortable driving, because if you are in TV walking it would take a long while to be out of the edges

Inside TV we still have a fair amount of wildlife, bear, bird of prey, bobcats, coyotes, fox and of course gators. Walking early morning or evening one should always be careful especially the woods, ponds, and the prairies.

Once you are outside of the bubble some neighborhoods, say behind Russell Stover make me a little uneasy. Wildwood Post office is in a strip mall, with an Ace hardware, that we frequent, we used to go to restaurant and little shops on 301 Wildwood, but parking was a nightmare. As I type they are building a prefab 2 story parking garage, but many little businesses have closed. But you have Miz Cathy’s, thrift shop, and the train store. Hopefully with the parking some mom and pop will come back.
Really outside of TV, Once a month we go to Gainesville and enjoy restaurants and shopping. Clermont, we go to Costco, 5/3 bank and restaurants. Disney is 50 minutes along with the rest of the parks. We travel occasionally to Ocala, and Orlando, like any city some parts are not where I want to be day or night.

But once thing to consider living in TV, pretty much anything you need is within TV bubble. Yes if you live south of 44 it will take you 20-40 minutes to go to the northern areas, but compared to our northern house quality shopping was more than an hour.
Just a minor correction… the train store (Nick’s Trains) closed many months ago. The owner moved to another location.
Old 05-10-2024, 06:47 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,889 Times in 800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsPete View Post
Everyone from a big city knows, there are some places you avoid, and some places you don't want to live; some are even nice areas, but they are close to not so nice areas.

While I understand there's probably nothing bad within TV, I am concerned about surrounding areas. Even bubbles have edges.
I’ve lived in two homes in my four years here. First was in Tierra del Sol South a couple hundred yards north of 466. Now I live in a courtyard villa five minutes north of the intersection of Buena Vista and 466A. I have NEVER seen a mosquito at either place. I think they get sprayed with insecticides. However, I have seen them near lakes and ponds north of 44 and at homes near them. South of 44, there seem to be mosquitoes at every home I’ve visited, including those not near water. I’d say that south of that line, you may want a birdcage if you are going spend time outside. Not necessary where I live.

Also, if you want a water view, bear in mind that what looks like water on maps may actually be a retention pond that is covered with vegetation and is home to lots of birds, bugs, reptiles, and mammals, from mice to bobcats. If you want to attract birds and other critters with a feeder, that is the place to be. Where I live, I never see a bird except mockingbirds. Nothing for them to eat.
Old 05-10-2024, 07:12 AM
Sage

I'm familiar with the Twin Cities....our daughter used to live in "North" as they call it. We have other family members and friends who live in the "Cities" as well. We once did but it was in the early 70's. Back to our daughter during the day, in their neighborhood, it was quiet and lovely but once in awhile in the evening I remember hearing gun-fire and once looking out a man was walking in the alley and was staggering. He either was on drugs or alcohol or both. The grocery store also seemed sketchy in many ways. I was happy when they moved. I'm sure many areas have changed up there, that once were beautiful and safer than other areas. IF you've not visited here then don't over-think. We've been here nearly 15 yrs. Certain areas of Wildwood and Leesburg (or any city for that matter---any state or FL) has areas not to go to if it's worrisome to you. We're relatively safe in The Villages.
Old 05-10-2024, 07:24 AM

Is there a huge financial risk if the CDD that got sued over the white crosses?
If CDD does not win, are they on the hook for big$ lawyer costs, and damages? Are they already on the hook for their lawyer costs even if they lose because homeowner may not have $ to pay?
Wouldn't all the residents of that CDD have to pay?

So I would avoid buying there. Not worth the risk to me.
Closed Thread

Tags
areas, places, nice, avoid, concerned

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.