Should I avoid some Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 05-10-2024, 07:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,031 Times in 4,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike234 View Post
"Having grown up in North Minneapolis, I think I know what you are referring to and would be happy to tell you that you won't really find that here."

so, what is in north Minneapolis, that this person would not find here, and you think the person is referring to? can you enlighten me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
I think we all know what the poster was referring to.....

North Minneapolis | CURA Twin Cities Gentrification Project
Quote:
really? you are speaking for the o.p. and everyone else here? I have no idea what he was asking, and referring to. I asked the o.p.
thank you very much
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I'm familiar with the Twin Cities....our daughter used to live in "North" as they call it. We have other family members and friends who live in the "Cities" as well. We once did but it was in the early 70's. Back to our daughter during the day, in their neighborhood, it was quiet and lovely but once in awhile in the evening I remember hearing gun-fire and once looking out a man was walking in the alley and was staggering. He either was on drugs or alcohol or both. The grocery store also seemed sketchy in many ways. I was happy when they moved. I'm sure many areas have changed up there, that once were beautiful and safer than other areas. IF you've not visited here then don't over-think. We've been here nearly 15 yrs. Certain areas of Wildwood and Leesburg (or any city for that matter---any state or FL) has areas not to go to if it's worrisome to you. We're relatively safe in The Villages.
I guess that answers the question..........
Old 05-10-2024, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtennent View Post
I would worry less about the edges ....... Lawnmowers, power washers can be heard anywhere. Having played golf on Southern Oaks, I would hate to live that close to the turnpike.
They purposely put the golf course directly beside the turnpike to act as a buffer for the homes.
Old 05-10-2024, 07:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Pay attention to the utility company servicing the area and the local town and county taxes. Cost can vary.
Old 05-10-2024, 07:33 AM
Gold member

Quote:
really? you are speaking for the o.p. and everyone else here? I have no idea what he was asking, and referring to. I asked the o.p.
thank you very much
I'm not speaking for the OP...or you! One drops an ambiguous post and another does what many others did....searched it. So like you, cant wait for the answer...
Old 05-10-2024, 07:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,203 Times in 1,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLuna View Post
They purposely put the golf course directly beside the turnpike to act as a buffer for the homes.
Yet, there are lots of homes that are not buffered at all. Those homes are a stone’s throw to the Turnpike. I have seen those home as we drive by. All the discounts in the world would never entice me to purchase a home that sits so close to the Turnpike. But…… that’s just me.
Old 05-10-2024, 08:15 AM
Default Ask about bad smells

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsPete View Post
Everyone from a big city knows, there are some places you avoid, and some places you don't want to live; some are even nice areas, but they are close to not so nice areas.

While I understand there's probably nothing bad within TV, I am concerned about surrounding areas. Even bubbles have edges.
Stay away from the stinky water treatment plant on Buena Vista behind Bacall Golf course!
Old 05-10-2024, 08:15 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,223 Times in 576 Posts

I would also be aware that occasionally the developer decides to do something else with the land they own. Ask the people that live by the Hacienda Championship course how that goes.
Old 05-10-2024, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsPete View Post
Everyone from a big city knows, there are some places you avoid, and some places you don't want to live; some are even nice areas, but they are close to not so nice areas.

While I understand there's probably nothing bad within TV, I am concerned about surrounding areas. Even bubbles have edges.
Take everything you know about being from a big city and throw it in the trash! You’re not in Kansas anymore! There isn’t a bad area here. Depends on what you’re looking for! If you want brand new, then you will go South of 44. Want to be close to shopping? north of 44 would be your thing. When speaking to a Villager, they will say they live in the best Village! And that’s true! Enjoy!
Old 05-10-2024, 08:32 AM

I personally would avoid buying next to a pickleball court. The noise from pickleball can grate on one’s nerves.
Be kind to one another... Ephesians 4:32
Old 05-10-2024, 08:33 AM

There are definitely some very depressed areas just on the other side of the fence from the Villages. You rarely, if ever hear of any property crime. Bad news is not good for selling houses. Check local counties to find crime stats. The streets and town squares are public so you are not in a gated, isolated community. Any one can access the Villages. Best advice we got - rent first. Acquaint yourself with the area more thoroughly before buying. The place is so huge, and growing day by day. It is hard to take it in until you are able to spend some time. Good luck.
Old 05-10-2024, 08:53 AM
Gold member

Some tips for you: Third lane now being installed on the Florida Turnpike. The road noise will then increase. Don't buy near the pickleball courts. That sound will drive you nuts. Avoid homes unless you have a pool that face south. That sun produces lots of heat on the lanai. Try and get a Villages that has access and exit via a stop sign, roundabout or stop light. During the winter when its busy you could have a hard time getting on the main road. Just ask the people who can't pull out and make a left on Morris just north of 466. More shopping is located in the north parts of The Villages.
Old 05-10-2024, 10:48 AM

Think twice about a big corner lot and how far you might want to be from mail, main road, pool
Old 05-10-2024, 12:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,628 Times in 598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottoguy View Post
Some tips for you: Third lane now being installed on the Florida Turnpike. The road noise will then increase. Don't buy near the pickleball courts. That sound will drive you nuts. Avoid homes unless you have a pool that face south. That sun produces lots of heat on the lanai. Try and get a Villages that has access and exit via a stop sign, roundabout or stop light. During the winter when its busy you could have a hard time getting on the main road. Just ask the people who can't pull out and make a left on Morris just north of 466. More shopping is located in the north parts of The Villages.
Actually pike is going from 4 lanes to 8 lanes
Old 05-10-2024, 12:59 PM
Default Sorry I was not clear.

I never intended this to be about power lines, turnpike noise, etc., but thanks for those comments.

On May 10, 2024, in a letter to the editor of a newspaper of TV, a resident of Caroline wrote about needing a fence, "... we do not want strangers to come into our private yard." They also spoke of "three fatalities" behind their home, and although this sounds like a traffic issue, who knows?

Okay, there's an area to avoid, no?
Old 05-10-2024, 01:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,698 Times in 640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottoguy View Post
Just ask the people who can't pull out and make a left on Morse just north of 466.
Yeah, we were warned about that in 2016. We definitely avoided having a house that would require us to turn left on Morse north of 466.
Closed Thread

Tags
areas, places, nice, avoid, concerned

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.