Should I avoid some Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 05-10-2024, 07:58 PM
Veteran member

Correct. If you live anywhere near a multimodal path you will hear (and smell) gas golf carts going by all day long..
Old 05-11-2024, 04:57 AM
Default It’s safe here !

I’m going to keep this short: The Villages are safe. That’s a key reason people like myself came to live here. I spent almost my entire adult life in Manhattan, so I know big cities. TV is like living in a “bubble.” I really don’t know of an unsafe Village or area of TV.
Old 05-11-2024, 05:51 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,306 Times in 564 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsPete View Post
Everyone from a big city knows, there are some places you avoid, and some places you don't want to live; some are even nice areas, but they are close to not so nice areas.

While I understand there's probably nothing bad within TV, I am concerned about surrounding areas. Even bubbles have edges.
ALL , avoid them all
Old 05-11-2024, 06:42 AM

Golfers shopping for homes in The Villages should NOT purchase a New Home in the Southern Areas, which lack enough Executive Golf Courses. Rather, they should buy a pre-owned home in the Middle or Northern areas which have plenty of Executive golf courses nearby. Also, the Bond is usually paid off on homes in the North and Middle areas, plus you are MUCH CLOSER to Shopping & Restaurants.
Old 05-11-2024, 07:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,743 Times in 967 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleprice View Post
Golfers shopping for homes in The Villages should NOT purchase a New Home in the Southern Areas, which lack enough Executive Golf Courses. Rather, they should buy a pre-owned home in the Middle or Northern areas which have plenty of Executive golf courses nearby. Also, the Bond is usually paid off on homes in the North and Middle areas, plus you are MUCH CLOSER to Shopping & Restaurants.
We live south of 44. We rarely have trouble getting a tee time in the execs. We have more trouble getting onto Southern Oaks. It is terrific shape. I have played with several golfers who came down from the north to play it because of its condition.

And, more importantly - Many of the courses further north are in terrible condition. The five execs south of 44 are all the great shape. Also, additional courses are being constructed right now.

Golf is great in the south, and it is going to be even better soon. That is from someone who actually plays here.
Old 05-11-2024, 07:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
We live south of 44. We rarely have trouble getting a tee time in the execs. We have more trouble getting onto Southern Oaks. It is terrific shape. I have played with several golfers who came down from the north to play it because of its condition.

And, more importantly - Many of the courses further north are in terrible condition. The five execs south of 44 are all the great shape. Also, additional courses are being constructed right now.

Golf is great in the south, and it is going to be even better soon. That is from someone who actually plays here.
One would expect new golf courses to be in great shape.We can only hope they remain that way.
Old 05-11-2024, 08:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,646 Times in 3,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsPete View Post
I never intended this to be about power lines, turnpike noise, etc., but thanks for those comments.

On May 10, 2024, in a letter to the editor of a newspaper of TV, a resident of Caroline wrote about needing a fence, "... we do not want strangers to come into our private yard." They also spoke of "three fatalities" behind their home, and although this sounds like a traffic issue, who knows?

Okay, there's an area to avoid, no?
It's BEHIND their house, on a public road, separated by fencing and bushes/trees/shrubs. Just like any house in any suburban neighborhood that backs to a secondary road (it's not a main street like 441 or 466, it's a secondary road, like Griffin or Rolling Acres).

Strangers aren't going into their back yard. The homeowners are just overly paranoid, think that THEIR house is more worth bad people coming to trespass than their neighbors' houses (who obviously aren't obsessed with that kind of fear since they're fine with their short fences and shrubs). They're fixing a problem that doesn't exist, and are upset because the CDD won't pay for it.

This is a community of old people. At some point, someone will die on YOUR block. Are you going to then complain that it's not a safe neighborhood because there's already been a death on your own block? That's what's happening with the people in Caroline. They're just spinning things to justify their obsession. There might have been 3 deaths on a secondary road, which stretches a couple of miles long, that is /not/ in The Villages. I don't know if that's true or not. It's certainly possible. But where that homeowner lives, there is no entrance to her neighborhood from that secondary road. And if she just stopped drawing SO MUCH ATTENTION to her property by barricading it with high dark blockade walls and "K-9 Protection" signs all over the walls, maybe people would stop wondering what she's hiding behind those walls that she needs to make such a huge fuss about it.

THAT is what will attract the burglars. She's putting a target on her back yard, and then whining about being worried about being robbed.
Old 05-11-2024, 08:28 AM

Go get the app for your phone called spotcrime. It shows you in real time the areas that have crime issues. Biggest problem I see here is people who should not be driving because of loss of ability and people who drink and get behind the wheel.
Old 05-11-2024, 08:43 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
It's BEHIND their house, on a public road, separated by fencing and bushes/trees/shrubs. Just like any house in any suburban neighborhood that backs to a secondary road (it's not a main street like 441 or 466, it's a secondary road, like Griffin or Rolling Acres).

Strangers aren't going into their back yard. The homeowners are just overly paranoid, think that THEIR house is more worth bad people coming to trespass than their neighbors' houses (who obviously aren't obsessed with that kind of fear since they're fine with their short fences and shrubs). They're fixing a problem that doesn't exist, and are upset because the CDD won't pay for it.

This is a community of old people. At some point, someone will die on YOUR block. Are you going to then complain that it's not a safe neighborhood because there's already been a death on your own block? That's what's happening with the people in Caroline. They're just spinning things to justify their obsession. There might have been 3 deaths on a secondary road, which stretches a couple of miles long, that is /not/ in The Villages. I don't know if that's true or not. It's certainly possible. But where that homeowner lives, there is no entrance to her neighborhood from that secondary road. And if she just stopped drawing SO MUCH ATTENTION to her property by barricading it with high dark blockade walls and "K-9 Protection" signs all over the walls, maybe people would stop wondering what she's hiding behind those walls that she needs to make such a huge fuss about it.

THAT is what will attract the burglars. She's putting a target on her back yard, and then whining about being worried about being robbed.
@margaretmattson.....this scenario, coupled with my post....is a perfect example of what MY interpretation is of a Karen and/or Darren. It’s ambiguous and open to many other uses....this is mine
Old 05-11-2024, 11:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
@margaretmattson.....this scenario, coupled with my post....is a perfect example of what MY interpretation is of a Karen and/or Darren. It’s ambiguous and open to many other uses....this is mine
I understood your interpretation and was not questioning your opinion. My question was "what is a Darren?" I never heard of it. Reading between the lines, I now think you have two names for the same thing. Karen is female and a Darren is the male version. You are the first I have seen do this. In my circle, a Karen does not need another name. It is ANYONE (male, female, or child) who cares only about themselves and their comfort level. They often whine and lambast when they do not get their way. Sorry, I wasn't belittling you. Just curious as to the meaning of a Darren. And, if I need to be on the lookout for one! lol

Last edited by margaretmattson; 05-11-2024 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-11-2024, 12:49 PM
Cool village area to avoid?

After we moved 3 times (looking for a larger house) in TV and this is our last one(!), we r gladly living in Polo Ridge no matter how old it is, it s very much enjoyable and easy to drive and shop nearby (right by 466)...easy to get the hospital, Lowe's, Cracker Barrel, etc. with only one roundabout and without auto traffic jams from snowbirds or new below 466A residents and many roundabouts. North of 466 is ideal to live and accessible to shop nearby and very peaceful. Unless you just want a brand new house, fyi, many flooring arrangements/models are very similar to the old ones in TV. Chas
Old 05-11-2024, 01:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,920 Times in 1,538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djean1981 View Post
Correct. If you live anywhere near a multimodal path you will hear (and smell) gas golf carts going by all day long..
I agree with the noise (AND SMELL) of gasoline golf carts. Older people have more lung problems like asthma.
Old 05-11-2024, 01:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post

I was robbed 10 years ago in the pre-Historic section. It was a break in while we were away and about $2,000 worth of power tools were taken. The Police did ZERO as far as results were concerned. I see very few Police patrols and the Community Service just wastes gasoline and would be better riding E-bikes around so they might actually see something.
------Overall, I can see why some people are anxious about their security here. They have some reason for it. And as the "Haves" get closer to the "HAVE NOTS" in the future, I would expect more incidents.
Old 05-11-2024, 01:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
I bet the brave people who have the courage to walk on an MMP much prefer the noisy gas-powered golf carts because they can hear them coming.
Many people here have such BAD hearing that a Railroad engine could sneak up on them while they were walking. Most bicycles and golf carts have horns.
Old 05-11-2024, 01:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
I often have no fracking idea what he's talking about!
Correct, me neither. He be very confused, but NOT us.
Closed Thread

Tags
areas, places, nice, avoid, concerned

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.