Side striping of the golf cart path

Closed Thread
Old 09-04-2015, 01:36 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
very sad day when the people who live in district 8 have no say as to how our money is being spent.
where is this 1 mile of path that is so dangerous located?
complete waste of money
Here's how that works. A majority of voters elect an official. That official now has the proxy authority to spend all the voters' money. My advice is to worry more about how this process unfolds on a national level.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:46 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,638 Times in 1,767 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
Here's how that works. A majority of voters elect an official. That official now has the proxy authority to spend all the voter's money. My advice is to worry more about how this process unfolds on a national level.
Boy do I concur with this!

It will be interesting to see what the outcome of the cart path striping will be as far as cart drivers are concerned. Will they like it? Will they not like it? Will carting become safer?

It seems to me that after experiencing driving some striped cart paths folks will know whether to stripe or not elsewhere in The Villages.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 09-04-2015, 02:38 PM
Callaway Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
I read that CDD 8 had the courage to go ahead and vote it in for their District. Like it or not you have to give them credit for taking action on something they want and the Village's District Management did not want them to have. Actually if we are being clear we could say the people who live outside The Village's did not want them to have.

I could get pretty damn courageous if I had the power to make a decision to spend RETIRED people's money, who wouldn't? The PWAC is not going to spend a dime on this idiot decision; the RETIRED residents of CDD 8 are going to have to pay for this. I'm really p/o about this; I didn't work hard all my life to come to a place where three people want to frivolously spend RETIRED folks money so they can puff their chest out and say "look what we've done". It's easy as hell to do when you spend RETIRED folks money to do it. Oh, did I mention they're spending RETIRED folk's money to do this????? I live in CDD 8 and there are plenty of people here who thinks this rogue decision to paint side stripes is STUPID.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:39 PM
Veteran member

Shall we check some pocket books. Just like the tree issue. Almost. Problem if one district does the others will follow.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

No one is gonna come to your door and ask for $5 to pay for the stripes! These funds are already sitting there and you are not going to get a refund. It's your amenity fees that you pay every month. They are spent to maintain and make things better for all of us.

Personally, I am happy that they spend that money on things I can see. Marking the paths is a good thing, in my opinion. I would rather have the silver reflectors along the side of the paths, but that is just my personal preference. Any markings are better than none.

Like others have said, I am a little disappointed that these districts cannot agree on something this simple and keep the Villages consistent.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:33 PM
Callaway Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Like others have said, I am a little disappointed that these districts cannot agree on something this simple and keep the Villages consistent.
4 up north has yellow stripes down the center; 8 will have white (who knows) stripes down the sides. What's next, alternating center and side stripes with another CDD? I can hear it now after an accident, "I felt too crowded on the side with those stripes, that's why I was driving over the center". Yea, a center with no clear definition.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,784 Times in 1,387 Posts

If you live in the area in question and are not happy with the decision and you have not called or contacted the representatives....shame on you.

Those elected, even at this level are special interest, politically or in some other way motivated. They need to be overwhelmed by the majority.....which never seems to happen....therefore they get to do what they want.

Hmmmnnnn that all has a familiar ring to it!
Old 09-04-2015, 04:52 PM
Sage
Default Side stripping of the golf cart path

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
...Those elected...need to be overwhelmed by the majority.....which never seems to happen...
Big assumption here...what if the majority are silent because they have no objection?
Old 09-04-2015, 05:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,377 Times in 2,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Who knows?
Then what does your idea accomplish?
Old 09-04-2015, 05:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Isn't this a great opportunity for the rest of the villages to see if the number of accidents go down?

If it doesn't improve safety, which admittedly is hard to measure, close calls and all than maybe the rest of the districts could help chip in to defray the cost. That may set up a president. So the next time an idea comes along one district could try it out and the other districts would help defray the cost if it fails or add the same service if it doesn't.

This strikes me as an opportunity to try new ideas out.
Sir, we are talking one mile of MMP in district 8, not a good test sample in my opinion.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Who knows?
The district knows and it has been published. 67 accidents in 4 years, 12 fatalities, and I think only 3 or 4 accidents after dusk in those 4 years.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Bob View Post
From what I've read on this issue, the cost is less than $1 a year per household so I don't know that it's that much of an issue. My opinion is if there is striping to be done at all, it makes a lot more sense to have it in the center rather than the sides.
I remember my days living in Ohio. And I also remember various levies proposed to be on the ballot for schools, public works, etc. And the selling point was..it's only $32 dollars per $100,000 home value, and then it's only $79 per $100,000 home value. And before you know it, your yearly tax bill goes from $1800 per year to $7500 per year. Been there, seen that.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:56 PM
Default side stripping

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgind View Post
Some one please tell me why the side stripping of the golf cart paths have to be done. Thats an expence that is a waste of money.
Just a center stripe like on the G.C. bridge for safety please...
Old 09-04-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callaway Guy View Post
I could get pretty damn courageous if I had the power to make a decision to spend RETIRED people's money, who wouldn't? The PWAC is not going to spend a dime on this idiot decision; the RETIRED residents of CDD 8 are going to have to pay for this. I'm really p/o about this; I didn't work hard all my life to come to a place where three people want to frivolously spend RETIRED folks money so they can puff their chest out and say "look what we've done". It's easy as hell to do when you spend RETIRED folks money to do it. Oh, did I mention they're spending RETIRED folk's money to do this????? I live in CDD 8 and there are plenty of people here who thinks this rogue decision to paint side stripes is STUPID.
The cost amounts to approximately 20 cent per home per year.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
If you live in the area in question and are not happy with the decision and you have not called or contacted the representatives....shame on you.

Those elected, even at this level are special interest, politically or in some other way motivated. They need to be overwhelmed by the majority.....which never seems to happen....therefore they get to do what they want.

Hmmmnnnn that all has a familiar ring to it!
Yes it does. I contacted my reps and district this morning via email. I did get a response from one district supervisor and his stance was...it's only .20 per household. And so the next whimsical project will be how much per household?
Closed Thread

Tags
side, cart, golf, stripping, expence, waste, money, path, paths

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.