Siding or Stucco?

Old 01-31-2024, 10:01 AM
Question Siding or Stucco?

As we approach the 2nd half of life, my wife and I have decided that TV is where we want to be. Now due to employment situations that may happen this year or that may happen 5 years from now. Frustrating is an understatement.

The Villages agent we worked with on our recent return visit was a wealth of information and a tremendous help. However, I think when it comes to the build itself, he may not have been much help. Living in western PA currently everything here is stick built construction with mostly vinyl siding. Sometimes a brick or stone veneer. All that said, you tend to hear a lot of ambient outside noise. Wind, rain, dogs, kids...even the neighbors basement dwelling son playing video games at 2 am.

When we finally move to Florida, I want the look of the house to say You're in Florida. My wife would be fine with either siding or stucco. I would prefer block (or poured wall) and stucco. I like the look, but rightly or wrongly I think it would be quieter inside, especially in bad weather and more energy efficient.

Has anyone lived in both in TV? Which do you prefer? and am I right or wrong on the noise and efficiency?

Thanks
Old 01-31-2024, 11:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

You may be correct about the noise to some extent, but the insulation value is pretty much the same because it is controlled by the building code. Personally, I think the concrete houses are better because they will have a higher resale value. Notice that very few of the large, expensive houses have vinyl siding. Also, some people confuse stucco with a painted cement finish. The concrete houses do not actually have stucco. It is a thin trowelled textured coating applied directly to the concrete or block.
Old 01-31-2024, 12:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,940 Times in 2,460 Posts

IMO Stucco seems to resist mold better than plastic. Mostly on north sides where sun hardly shines. So pressure washing would be less IMO.
Old 01-31-2024, 12:16 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Strong

Stucco holds up better to hurricane winds. Stick homes have peeling siding etc to worry about.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 01-31-2024, 12:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Stucco holds up better to hurricane winds. Stick homes have peeling siding etc to worry about.
those with stucco homes will be pallbearers for those with siding homes when the hurricane comes through
Old 01-31-2024, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageshooter View Post
those with stucco homes will be pallbearers for those with siding homes when the hurricane comes through
ALL homes are built to current codes and will withstand any winds that come to central Florida.

Remember, we are in the center of the state. Any hurricanes that come ashore will decrease by the time they get to us. The several storms that have occurred in the last 10 years we have been here have been like bad thunderstorms by the time they get to us.
Old 01-31-2024, 01:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
C'mon, man. A totally off-base and unnecessary comment.

Last edited by photo1902; 01-31-2024 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-31-2024, 01:38 PM

I currently live in stick/vinyl home… owned a block construction home in Boca Raton for many years.

My take is that block construction is quieter. i.e. less wind / neighborhood noise heard inside the home. I did not have a particular preference when buying here in The Villages as I did not expect neighborhood noise to be a factor and it is not.

I do think I would stick to block construction if near the coast, but the failure modes during hurricanes seem to revolve around roof shingles and collapsed garage doors. I’m 5 years in now and have no regrets… well, except I do wish I had a golf cart garage!

Hope this helps.

Frisco Kid

P.S. If you don’t move now, you’ll be a year older when you do! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePgh View Post
As we approach the 2nd half of life, my wife and I have decided that TV is where we want to be. Now due to employment situations that may happen this year or that may happen 5 years from now. Frustrating is an understatement.

The Villages agent we worked with on our recent return visit was a wealth of information and a tremendous help. However, I think when it comes to the build itself, he may not have been much help. Living in western PA currently everything here is stick built construction with mostly vinyl siding. Sometimes a brick or stone veneer. All that said, you tend to hear a lot of ambient outside noise. Wind, rain, dogs, kids...even the neighbors basement dwelling son playing video games at 2 am.

When we finally move to Florida, I want the look of the house to say You're in Florida. My wife would be fine with either siding or stucco. I would prefer block (or poured wall) and stucco. I like the look, but rightly or wrongly I think it would be quieter inside, especially in bad weather and more energy efficient.

Has anyone lived in both in TV? Which do you prefer? and am I right or wrong on the noise and efficiency?

Thanks
Old 01-31-2024, 02:29 PM

Google 'snakes under vinyl siding walls in the villages'. Seeing the black racer going into an impossibly small opening in a vinyl sided house was the deciding factor for me. Block was worth the extra $15,000.
Old 01-31-2024, 03:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

We have owned both in The Villages. The stucco is much quieter, it's not even close.
In the siding, we could hear the garbage truck, we could hear the neighbors next door when they were inside!!
When we decided to move, it was stucco only and it's very nice and quiet. Wouldn't even think it any other way now.
Old 01-31-2024, 05:26 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
C'mon, man. A totally off-base and unnecessary comment.
but it is a factual comment! stucco is stronger than wood frame homes, that is the way it is, if ur looking for a home it might be a consideration, so I would consider it on topic
Old 01-31-2024, 05:31 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,341 Times in 1,448 Posts

Here you go, first photo next door neighbors one stucco one vinyl. The second photo shows the force of nature during a tornado in TV the destroyed homes were vinyl villas the car was actually in the neighbors yard.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8481.jpg
Views:	2490
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	102574   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8482.jpg
Views:	2335
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	102575  
Old 01-31-2024, 06:10 PM

Quote:
but it is a factual comment! stucco is stronger than wood frame homes, that is the way it is, if ur looking for a home it might be a consideration, so I would consider it on topic
Not all stucco homes are block. My golf partner has a stucco home in Bridgeport, it's stick built.
Old 01-31-2024, 09:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,158 Times in 2,252 Posts

I tend to agree that the newest home should be on a relatively equal footing from a construction basis, however, I have seen reports of damage to vinyl siding from landscapers, golfers, occasional buckling due to weather extremes, occasional noises if the siding was not nailed correctly. I believe stucco has a longer life, however both tend to fade and as I recall vinyl requires special paint and prep to refinish, and I have no idea as to the longevity of a vinyl paint job, stucco I have seen offers of warrantees to 25 years.
We have a concrete block, with true stucco and love it, no maintenance in just over 10 years. Will be doing new paint in the next 1 to 2 years.
Old 01-31-2024, 10:34 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePgh View Post

Thanks
The only reason anyone would go for siding is that it is cheaper(short term). CBS(stucco) is a stronger, quieter product. In addition termites like wood frame(siding) construction. Best construction is poured concrete. You should be able to get a lower homeowner insurance cost(this is going up way above regular inflation rate in Florida) Lived in Florida entire life.

Tags
siding, stucco, happen, florida, prefer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.