Siding or Stucco?

Old 01-31-2024, 10:41 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX rider View Post
Not all stucco homes are block. My golf partner has a stucco home in Bridgeport, it's stick built.
True but there are very few of this construction in TV
Old 01-31-2024, 11:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,940 Times in 2,460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneko View Post
Google 'snakes under vinyl siding walls in the villages'. Seeing the black racer going into an impossibly small opening in a vinyl sided house was the deciding factor for me. Block was worth the extra $15,000.
Black racers are like big night crawlers totally harmless along with ring necks occasionally seen. They’re more interested in lizards and insects and place to hide.
Old 01-31-2024, 11:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,940 Times in 2,460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvtheVillages View Post
ALL homes are built to current codes and will withstand any winds that come to central Florida.

Remember, we are in the center of the state. Any hurricanes that come ashore will decrease by the time they get to us. The several storms that have occurred in the last 10 years we have been here have been like bad thunderstorms by the time they get to us.
Until that rare tornado come over? I feel safer in block home. Harder to knock down walls I would think?

I came from OKC, we got underground when tornado was heading our way.
Old 02-01-2024, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageshooter View Post
those with stucco homes will be pallbearers for those with siding homes when the hurricane comes through
Family ignorant comment!! Both style houses have the same roof structure. If the hurricane is strong enough, the roof would be the first to go. Then the windows.
Old 02-01-2024, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Here you go, first photo next door neighbors one stucco one vinyl. The second photo shows the force of nature during a tornado in TV the destroyed homes were vinyl villas the car was actually in the neighbors yard.

Someone please explain to this individual, that tornados and hurricanes are NOT the same.
Old 02-01-2024, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePgh View Post
As we approach the 2nd half of life, my wife and I have decided that TV is where we want to be. Now due to employment situations that may happen this year or that may happen 5 years from now. Frustrating is an understatement.

The Villages agent we worked with on our recent return visit was a wealth of information and a tremendous help. However, I think when it comes to the build itself, he may not have been much help. Living in western PA currently everything here is stick built construction with mostly vinyl siding. Sometimes a brick or stone veneer. All that said, you tend to hear a lot of ambient outside noise. Wind, rain, dogs, kids...even the neighbors basement dwelling son playing video games at 2 am.

When we finally move to Florida, I want the look of the house to say You're in Florida. My wife would be fine with either siding or stucco. I would prefer block (or poured wall) and stucco. I like the look, but rightly or wrongly I think it would be quieter inside, especially in bad weather and more energy efficient.

Has anyone lived in both in TV? Which do you prefer? and am I right or wrong on the noise and efficiency?

Thanks
We rented a stick built, vinyl sided court yard villa before buying. When we bought we chose a block and stucco courtyard villa. It’s definitely quieter in this one than the vinyl sided one. It has to be raining very hard to hear it at all and we hear nothing else from outside such as voices from neighbors.
Old 02-01-2024, 05:51 AM

Quote:
As we approach the 2nd half of life, my wife and I have decided that TV is where we want to be. Now due to employment situations that may happen this year or that may happen 5 years from now. Frustrating is an understatement.

The Villages agent we worked with on our recent return visit was a wealth of information and a tremendous help. However, I think when it comes to the build itself, he may not have been much help. Living in western PA currently everything here is stick built construction with mostly vinyl siding. Sometimes a brick or stone veneer. All that said, you tend to hear a lot of ambient outside noise. Wind, rain, dogs, kids...even the neighbors basement dwelling son playing video games at 2 am.

When we finally move to Florida, I want the look of the house to say You're in Florida. My wife would be fine with either siding or stucco. I would prefer block (or poured wall) and stucco. I like the look, but rightly or wrongly I think it would be quieter inside, especially in bad weather and more energy efficient.

Has anyone lived in both in TV? Which do you prefer? and am I right or wrong on the noise and efficiency?

Thanks
Ive lived in both. Block houses are MUCH more quiet. I can’t hear my own sprinklers come on. In a stick home, I can hear all the neighbors sprinklers.
Old 02-01-2024, 06:07 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracy.harding View Post
Ive lived in both. Block houses are MUCH more quiet. I can’t hear my own sprinklers come on. In a stick home, I can hear all the neighbors sprinklers.
Stucco Block homes (masonry ) are rated the highest for sound proofing vs tilt or stick. STC is maximized because of mass air mass resonance (or the second wall having drywall attached lol). That said, they cost more to build and can have leakage problems. The Villages has done well on stucco surfacing though. Masonry would be my first choice.

Rated overall

1. Masonry/ block
2. Tilt
3. Stick

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 02-01-2024, 06:42 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I tend to agree that the newest home should be on a relatively equal footing from a construction basis, however, I have seen reports of damage to vinyl siding from landscapers, golfers, occasional buckling due to weather extremes, occasional noises if the siding was not nailed correctly. I believe stucco has a longer life, however both tend to fade and as I recall vinyl requires special paint and prep to refinish, and I have no idea as to the longevity of a vinyl paint job, stucco I have seen offers of warrantees to 25 years.
We have a concrete block, with true stucco and love it, no maintenance in just over 10 years. Will be doing new paint in the next 1 to 2 years.
I have the concrete block with true stucco. The home is built like a brick outhouse! Very much worth the money!!!
Old 02-01-2024, 06:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Thanks
Definitely less maintenance with block. I think the noise is less but wouldn’t want to live where noise is an issue with a stick built house.
Old 02-01-2024, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageshooter View Post
those with stucco homes will be pallbearers for those with siding homes when the hurricane comes through
I’m thinking you accidentally reversed that comment.
Mom and Dad were in Hurricane Andrew. Cat5…total devastation. It was actually the 7tornadoes that Andrew spawned that did all the damage.
What survived was the block (stucco) structures. And 90% of their contents.
When we retired to Florida we knew two things. First, we would not live in a coastal city. By mid-state winds have been greatly diminished.
Second, stucco homes can withstand hurricanes and tornadoes. We built stucco.
BTW hearing neighbors noise is seldom a complaint in The Villages. 1 or 2 retirees per household, plus pets.
Welcome to The Villages….youll love it here!
Old 02-01-2024, 06:53 AM

Photographer please do show pics of the burnt out block houses struck by lightening too. Better odds of that happening in T V than a tornado. Don't forget the pics of the intentional burn down of one's own wood home in Lyndon Isle, walls still stood.

At least with a block house you will have walls left standing on most all scenarios. Insurance or ( self-insured $$) required by deed restriction to rebuild a destroyed house. Either block or wood you are living elsewhere for a long while. They do both have smoke detectors and are built to code.

The Three Little Pigs know the answer.

I for one am 2 for 2 wood and I don't hear anything outside other than garbage truck reminding me I forgot to put out my trash or I roll over in a state of relief, yay, mine is out.
Old 02-01-2024, 07:24 AM

Quote:

Thanks
You will want to get a Village Realtor as well as a MLS (outside) Realtor or you may miss your dream home.
Old 02-01-2024, 07:25 AM

Pittsburgher here! Retired Builder. Stucco is the way to go. Never vinyl. If possible, a fiber cement (James Hardie as an example) would give you the lap siding look. But, do not believe it is available for Villages Homes.
Old 02-01-2024, 07:43 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Thanks
This is my 3rd stucco I can still hear my neighbor's conversation across the street. look more at maintenance. Using the right quality paint and colors you only paint once for 20 yrs. (stucco) Siding has stick behind it.... what likes wood? it's really the basics on this. I love the 'never' on the siding but I'll take the stucco

Tags
siding, stucco, happen, florida, prefer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.