Siding or Stucco?

Old 02-01-2024, 07:57 AM
Veteran member

I just hate the look when Stucco develops a crack down the wall.

Most noise comes from the roof vents and not necessarily the walls.
Old 02-01-2024, 08:14 AM
Veteran member

Just think of the 3 little pigs. Hurricanes can cause tornadoes even here and ask yourself which kind of house you would prefer to own if one struck. Sticks or stone?
Old 02-01-2024, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageshooter View Post
those with stucco homes will be pallbearers for those with siding homes when the hurricane comes through
So untrue. We were here in 2007 when a tornado came thru and it destroyed block homes just as easily as stick built homes, same is true in tornado alley, brick, block, stick built, no matter all are destroyed. Been here since 2001, so plenty of hurricanes have come thru too, no damage to either type homes.
You can always put up hardy plank instead of vinyl siding too. If sound is a concern pay more at build for a higher level of insulation, we did and it paid off after only one year. We added insulation in all walls and all ceilings including garage and lanai. Worth every penny. So, buy the look you like because you like that look. The rest is basically the same due to strict hurricane building codes.
Old 02-01-2024, 08:33 AM

Quote:
those with stucco homes will be pallbearers for those with siding homes when the hurricane comes through
Sorry, somehow got posted twice.

Last edited by Villagesgal; 02-01-2024 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Duplicate post in error
Old 02-01-2024, 08:46 AM

If it quiet home is important to you, then location is more important than materials. If you plan to enjoy a lanai this is particularly important. When we moved to The Villages I took a map and crossed off any neighborhood near a major road, railroad track, square, rec center (pickleball!), school, or adjacent to a multimodal path or sewage treatment facility. I also eliminated areas adjacent to power transmission lines (harder to resell) and developable land. This eliminated almost all of the southern half of the villages and most of the northern half. We ended up focusing on a wonderfully quiet neighborhood on the northwest side of the villages which was a good choice for us. Because we only had the option of pre-owned houses in this neighborhood, the number of houses available in the area was very limited and we did end up moving into a vinyl sided home. However, if a painted concrete home becomes available in the same neighborhood I would strongly consider buying it and putting this one on the market. Concrete is, as noted by earlier posters, favored by its durability, ease of maintenance, noise dampening, and resale value. Also, concrete homes in The Villages are often, but not always, built with more upgrades.

Some problems we noticed with our vinyl sided home and others in the area include: 1) initial installation was not a stellar job and we did have to correct some issues regarding water not draining properly from the lower trim 2) vinyl is extremely susceptible to damage from weed eaters used by lawn maintenance people 3) vinyl seems to require more frequent pressure washing, although once or twice a year is plenty 4) vinyl fades slightly with sun exposure over time, which can be problematic if having to repair a piece of vinyl siding with a matching piece 4) neighbor had a piece of siding disturbed by high winds, although it popped back into place easily. 5) The walls heat up a bit with prolonged direct sun, resulting in some of the kitchen cabinet interiors being warmer than we would like. 6) creatures like snakes and lizards are able to access the area behind the siding very easily. We did have a cute little snake living under the siding for a while and popping its head out occasionally from the bottom, but no critters in the house. That said, vinyl siding is a pretty hard wearing, economical material. Our vinyl sided home is extremely quiet, but I believe that has more to do with location than construction.
Old 02-01-2024, 08:50 AM

It probably comes down to personal preference. If built after 2002, both are designed to withstand storm damage to the degree required by code. As for noise pollution, with a few exceptions such as living near a busy road or one of the squares, TV is one of the quietest places I have lived, especially between 9pm and 6am. We lived in both type of houses before we bought and chose stucco for the looks. However, we were purchasing an existing home and there were quite a few places that we looked at that had few if any stucco homes for sale so were were not locked into a stucco home for that reason.
Old 02-01-2024, 08:52 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Stucco Block homes (masonry ) are rated the highest for sound proofing vs tilt or stick. STC is maximized because of mass air mass resonance (or the second wall having drywall attached lol). That said, they cost more to build and can have leakage problems. The Villages has done well on stucco surfacing though. Masonry would be my first choice.

Rated overall

1. Masonry/ block
2. Tilt
3. Stick
Totally agree with this post. We have owned both stick & block here.

Never would do tilt though, unless we really loved the location. It is a process that saves only the builder/developer $, which is not passed down to the buyer. Cannot modify the build, if say you want to add a room or window or doorway later.
Old 02-01-2024, 09:09 AM
Default Stucco vs siding

I have had both. My sided house was very susceptibleto mold and mildew on our non aunny side. I also felt that the insulation against temperature, noise, etc was not as good. Our stucco house seems to be much more energy efficient.
Also the resale is better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePgh View Post
As we approach the 2nd half of life, my wife and I have decided that TV is where we want to be. Now due to employment situations that may happen this year or that may happen 5 years from now. Frustrating is an understatement.

The Villages agent we worked with on our recent return visit was a wealth of information and a tremendous help. However, I think when it comes to the build itself, he may not have been much help. Living in western PA currently everything here is stick built construction with mostly vinyl siding. Sometimes a brick or stone veneer. All that said, you tend to hear a lot of ambient outside noise. Wind, rain, dogs, kids...even the neighbors basement dwelling son playing video games at 2 am.

When we finally move to Florida, I want the look of the house to say You're in Florida. My wife would be fine with either siding or stucco. I would prefer block (or poured wall) and stucco. I like the look, but rightly or wrongly I think it would be quieter inside, especially in bad weather and more energy efficient.

Has anyone lived in both in TV? Which do you prefer? and am I right or wrong on the noise and efficiency?

Thanks
Old 02-01-2024, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I was here when the tornado hit in 2007. It was an equal opportunity monster. It destroyed both home types. The main issue was the roofs were lifted off. Luckily no Villagers were killed.
Old 02-01-2024, 09:47 AM

Quote:
As we approach the 2nd half of life, my wife and I have decided that TV is where we want to be. Now due to employment situations that may happen this year or that may happen 5 years from now. Frustrating is an understatement.

The Villages agent we worked with on our recent return visit was a wealth of information and a tremendous help. However, I think when it comes to the build itself, he may not have been much help. Living in western PA currently everything here is stick built construction with mostly vinyl siding. Sometimes a brick or stone veneer. All that said, you tend to hear a lot of ambient outside noise. Wind, rain, dogs, kids...even the neighbors basement dwelling son playing video games at 2 am.

When we finally move to Florida, I want the look of the house to say You're in Florida. My wife would be fine with either siding or stucco. I would prefer block (or poured wall) and stucco. I like the look, but rightly or wrongly I think it would be quieter inside, especially in bad weather and more energy efficient.

Has anyone lived in both in TV? Which do you prefer? and am I right or wrong on the noise and efficiency?

Thanks
Stucco is what we chose 19
years ago. Won’t have to worry about teens next door making noise!😉
Old 02-01-2024, 09:59 AM

Quote:

Thanks
We have a Block home that has a thin concrete cover base and then painted. When the hurricane was predicted to go through Sumter County they posted on the news that we could remain in our home since it was listed as Shelter In Place. Insurance is also much less.
Old 02-01-2024, 10:50 AM
Default but

But like IRMA showed us we are far enough inland to have hurricanes lose most of their pop by the time they get here almost no damage from cat 5 IRMA
Old 02-01-2024, 11:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,179 Times in 1,935 Posts

We have had both here in The Villages; vinyl siding on our Villa and concrete block on our Designer home. We much prefer the concrete block home for a few reasons. The look of the concrete block homes is one reason. Sound dampening is another reason for concrete block preference.

As an aside........In our villa with the vinyl siding, I was dumb enough to put the BBQ grill too close to the siding. The siding became warped from the heat. In our concrete block home, the grill sits just close enough to the house that the lid does not bang into the side of the house. It is that close and the side of the house looks like the day we had it freshly painted.

No contest.
Old 02-01-2024, 12:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,179 Times in 1,935 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell57 View Post
I’m thinking you accidentally reversed that comment.
Mom and Dad were in Hurricane Andrew. Cat5…total devastation. It was actually the 7tornadoes that Andrew spawned that did all the damage.
What survived was the block (stucco) structures. And 90% of their contents.
When we retired to Florida we knew two things. First, we would not live in a coastal city. By mid-state winds have been greatly diminished.
Second, stucco homes can withstand hurricanes and tornadoes. We built stucco.
BTW hearing neighbors noise is seldom a complaint in The Villages. 1 or 2 retirees per household, plus pets.
Welcome to The Villages….youll love it here!
No, the comment is correctly stated, as I see what the poster was getting at.
Old 02-01-2024, 12:16 PM

Drink the Kool Aid slowly. It's intoxicating. My wife and I purchased a vinyl sided 23 year old home in an established neighborhood in the Northern part of the Villages. 3 year old roof (very important on an older home), no Bond payments (paid off) more mature neighborhood with some older Trees. Very active Neighborhood group. Our home is a Vinyl sided home. Minimal noise from outside.

From Western PA 40 miles North of Pittsburgh. Welcome and good luck.

Tags
siding, stucco, happen, florida, prefer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.