Simple question. At what age did you start you adventures Living in TV?

Closed Thread
Old 05-20-2020, 10:08 AM

We were 47 and 51, childfree, both former military. TV was happy to sell us a new home. Moved in full time a week after closing. This was back in 2003 when you could pick out every detail. We couldn't wait to get out of South Florida, was tired of the horrible traffic and working in a foreign country. Spouse was already set up in home office by boss, so retired from job at 55. We are in our third home here. Started with ranch/cottage, upgraded to new block Designer home w/2.5 garage, then upgraded again to preowned pool home. Helpful hint: If swimming is important to you, get a house with a pool or swim spa. Don't count on finding lap lane availability; restricted times at sport pools and if you try to 'swim' at neighborhood pools, you will get dirty looks. Also, courtyard villas are great for privacy and pets, unless you need more garage space. Many different home styles, sizes, neighborhoods to pick from. Good luck in your search!

Medicated Vet ... For your protection.
Quote from Boot Camp Company Commander: "I'm gonna have to issue you all plexi-glass belly buttons, so when you have your heads up your asses, you can at least see where you're going."
Old 05-20-2020, 10:11 AM

Me and my wife were 45 and 47 when we purchased our home. Best move we could of made!
Old 05-20-2020, 10:13 AM
Default Still living the dream

We were 54 and 55. Residents since 1996. There was 15k people here. Still living the dream.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:31 AM

My wife and I both moved here at 50. We both feel it was a good move. One of us still had to have a job that offered good health insurance as we are still too young to qualify for govt medical
Old 05-20-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Vernon View Post
I will soon be turning 54 with the possibility of retiring at 55. I am ready to start living the lifestyle. How old were you when you started living in TV? Advice from the wise is always welcomed.
I was 53 and my wife was 48. I am retired military. We had cash and children were grown and gone. If you have a pockett full of cash and no children you are welcome.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:16 PM
Smile

I was 53.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:29 PM
Default I don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich42 View Post
And you need to know this because.........
I don't but thanks anyway..lol
Old 05-20-2020, 02:47 PM
Default Good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyVet View Post
We were 47 and 51, childfree, both former military. TV was happy to sell us a new home. Moved in full time a week after closing. This was back in 2003 when you could pick out every detail. We couldn't wait to get out of South Florida, was tired of the horrible traffic and working in a foreign country. Spouse was already set up in home office by boss, so retired from job at 55. We are in our third home here. Started with ranch/cottage, upgraded to new block Designer home w/2.5 garage, then upgraded again to preowned pool home. Helpful hint: If swimming is important to you, get a house with a pool or swim spa. Don't count on finding lap lane availability; restricted times at sport pools and if you try to 'swim' at neighborhood pools, you will get dirty looks. Also, courtyard villas are great for privacy and pets, unless you need more garage space. Many different home styles, sizes, neighborhoods to pick from. Good luck in your search!
I am also a Navy Vet but only four years. The respect for veterans in TV is also a big factor for me. Take care and thanks to both of you for your service.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:51 PM
Default Congrats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKell35 View Post
I'm 50, just retired 5 months ago and pulled the trigger to buy a home in TV. Moving in June 18, 2020. Can't wait.
Very happy for you.."Fair winds and following seas."
Old 05-20-2020, 02:55 PM
Default Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom359 View Post
We bought at the end of last year when I was 53, wife 55. We plan on moving to TV full time at the end of next year when I will be 55 to get my health benefits. Would do it right now if we could! Everyone we have talked to when asked about when they moved have told us "we just wish we did it earlier!"
Similar situation here no retiree medical until age 55. Most tell me the same thing they wish they would've come sooner. Smart people in TV. Enjoy!
Old 05-20-2020, 03:01 PM

Great stuff everyone Thanks so much. Keep them coming I love to read them all...
Old 05-20-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Vernon View Post
I will soon be turning 54 with the possibility of retiring at 55. I am ready to start living the lifestyle. How old were you when you started living in TV? Advice from the wise is always welcomed.
One of us was 61 and the other turned 55 the month after we closed in 2018. Also, just fyi, there is a club called 'South of 60' to get you connected with the younger crowd, if that's your concern.
One bit of advice I would give for your consideration... maybe rent for a bit, or at least visit a few times. We bought our first time down here and were fantastically lucky to have picked a good neighborhood. By "good" I mean friendly and supportive. I thought that's how all of TV was, but after having played mahjongg with random people on many occasions, belonging to a quilting group and genealogy groups and listening to others talk, that is not the case; some say their neighbors don't even know each other, they don't get together, and don't seem interested in doing so.
In mine (as well as many others, but apparently not all) we get together once a month for a pot luck or a catered event and play games/socialize. The women go to lunch each month to celebrate the birthday of all those with a birthday that month. The guys have Executive and Championship golf groups, etc. When COVID-19 came about, a gentleman put together a straw plan for support for our neighborhood and emailed it out to all via our neighborhood mail group so we could offer additions/deletions. Then 3 retired nurses divided up the neighborhood with them being the points of contact to check on us if we hadn't been seen about, or we could contact them. Someone else picked up the vials of life from the sheriff's dept for the whole neighborhood. And during the lockdown, one of the guys played bagpipes for us at the end of his driveway every Wed and Sun evenings. We all pulled up in our golf carts, listened, and socialized just a little from our carts. I know that if we needed something, I could call any of them for assistance and it would happen. Just giving you an example of what it can be like if that's what you're looking for. I know we are much happier than we would be in an isolated neighborhood. Just some food for thought!
And I canNOT tell you how happy I was to move to a place that CLEARLY cares for their country - the flags will line the yards this coming weekend - no doubt!

We look forward to your arrival Shipmate!
(retired Navy)

Last edited by transplanted; 05-20-2020 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:16 PM

Have been coming back and forth to TV when off from school for the last 8 years when we bought our house . I was 54 and my husband was 53. Will make the final move in 2 years at 63 and my husband at 62. I say the sooner one can, the better. And if you have the opportunity to work your job down there in the area, even better!
Old 05-20-2020, 04:21 PM
Platinum member

I was 59 and husband 63 and we've been here 10 years
Old 05-21-2020, 12:20 AM

I retired from teaching at 59 and moved to Florida from Oregon two days after my retirement party. We’ve been here ten years next month, and we have enjoyed so many physical activities while we were young. As we age, The Villages offers literally hundreds of clubs which will not require a great deal of physical energy. A win-win situation.💕
Closed Thread

Tags
living, start, wise, advice, started

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.