WATER

Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Veteran member
Default WATER

A friend knows I'm researching central FL and he said there's some sort of water "shortage", "problem", "questionable drinking quality"....... I DUNNO! So, I'm coming right to the source of knowledge and experience and asking y'all.

Please tell me 'bout the water in central Florida !! (If this has already been discussed, I'm sorry to regurgitate it again) :
Old 02-11-2008, 08:45 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: WATER

We're in a drought. Not as bad as Atlanta area, but water is rationed. We can only water lawns once a week and plants have to be water conservative. The drinking water tastes pretty foul (at least to me) but that's easy to get around -- either get a fridge that dispenses water (they have filters in them) or get a Britta or buy a water softening system for the entire house.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-11-2008, 08:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We are north of 466 and our drinking water is fine from the tap...........But true we do only water once a week but it seems to be sufficient.........
fumar
Old 02-11-2008, 11:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

well, taking showers with your SO may not be a bad idea,

I have read that The Villages actually has very high quality water for drinking

we should be careful with it anyway, it will be the "new oil" in a few years
Old 02-11-2008, 11:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We are south of 466 and have no issues with the water, tastes fine to me. We do use a brita for drinking water and cooking, not to change taste just to remove any unseen gremlins.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:47 PM
Sage

Hey, water tastes bad to me in general. Have yet to find one I like but I really don't like the water here -- too much chlorine to my nose.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-11-2008, 11:53 PM
Eternal Member

Do not ~~ I repeat ~~ DO NOT believe the spiel of the plethora of water treatment people who contact all new homeowners. :yikes: First of all, their tests and "statistics" are totally bogus. :yikes: Second, more than likely you will not receive the "gift" promised to you for letting them in. The water here is fine, if scarce. It's a bit too hard for me, but that seems to be a preference issue. Certainly not a problem requiring thousands of bucks for equipment and yearly supplies and services. :yikes:

Regardless, you don't want to drink water. Fish . :edit: . . sorry
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 02-12-2008, 12:10 AM
Veteran member

JohnN...... May I ask........ what do you mean water will be the "new oil" in a few years; is it a permanent shortage or seasonal or ? THANKS FOR ALL REPLIES.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:16 AM
Gold member

Coney:

I have lived in TN and Ark for the past 11 years and most of that time we have had a drought. My sister has had same experience over in South Carolina. Most of the southern states are in some kind of drought stress.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 02-12-2008, 12:17 AM
Sage

Water is becoming a prime commodity all over the world. Having lived through a few droughts in California, I've truly come to appreciate how important it is. I've also learned that it is not an unlimited resource. I don't know what the story is in Florida but in California the aquifers are being used up at a tremendous rate. Every year the reservoirs are going down 2-5%. So are the rivers. So, I agree with JohnN -- the countries with excess water will have a major source of revenue. Those that don't will suffer severe hardships (look at Africa over the past 50 years -- it's a frightening picture).

This is not a problem with just a state or two or even an area or country. It is a worldwide issue that is going to become a very serious problem in the future.

(Okay, I'll get off my soapbox, but I think you get the basics.)

Old 02-12-2008, 01:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

CIB,
I'm not clever enough to make that up, read it somewhere recently.
As redwitch says, out west , and in Georgia, and here in Arkansas/Tennessee, plenty of droughts and seems to be spreading. More people and less water.

I hope we can desalinize the oceans at some nominal cost, that may help.
But there is plenty of interest in water, all over the world.

But... given our age, not likely to overly affect us except to conserve.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:15 AM
Veteran member

You all know of course that Sybericuse will be reborn! Plenty of water and come global warming ...

(but we still want to be in TV)

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 02-14-2008, 03:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Although it is rationed it is expensive......not sure I could afford twice a week sprinkler service for the lawn!!
Old 02-14-2008, 06:49 PM

What is the average water bill? Is there a sewer charge?
Old 02-14-2008, 08:40 PM
Sage

In Marion County, our water bill for just the landscape on a 7500 SF lot (we only visit about three weeks a year until next year when I retire) runs about $60 a month.
It includes sewage for the same quantity of water going thru the water meter - even tho normally none of it gets into the sewer.

In California our water bill is about $50 every two months and maybe 2/3 of that is in home use by the wife and I. The sewers are billed with the property tax and I haven't looked at what portion of the property tax is for sewers.
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.