Single Pane vs Double Pane

Closed Thread
Old 07-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Sage
Question Single Pane vs Double Pane

I have been visiting the villages web site for homes and some homes advertise double pane windows.
1. I was wondering, what is the difference between buying a home with single pane window versus a double pane window? Is one type better than the other?
2. Does a double pane window protect a home better from hurricanes as opposed to single pane?
3. Are hurricane shutters needed in the villages?

Sorry if this question was ever asked before. This site that provides great information by all of the TOTV members.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Default Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I have been visiting the villages web site for homes and some homes advertise double pane windows.
1. I was wondering, what is the difference between buying a home with single pane window versus a double pane window? Is one type better than the other?
2. Does a double pane window protect a home better from hurricanes as opposed to single pane?
3. Are hurricane shutters needed in the villages?

Sorry if this question was ever asked before. This site that provides great information by all of the TOTV members.
IMHO, double pane windows serve the same purpose in FL as they do up north. Insulation from heat/cold. Helps reduce A/C-Heating costs. Also, on the golf view lots, may slow down the errant, misguided ball a little bit.
- Irving Kristol

Last edited by macro; 07-11-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Even more important than single pane or double pane is to make certain your windows are LOW -E especially if the windows are in the path of receiving direct sunlight. Low E windows will be double pane and they block out alot of the radiant heat thus reducing the heat that would come into the hosue and also protect your furniture, rugs etc from bleaching out due to over sun exposure. There are different grades of LOW E and they are priced accordingly.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Sage

Another advantage to double-pane windows is that street noise is significantly reduced. Also, as mentioned above, the insulating factor is considerable.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I don't think I have ever seen a home with single pane windows in TV. I have only looked at homes built sense around 2000, but I do not ever recall seeing one. Everything has double panes.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.