Sinkhole Just Opened Up 5/21/18

Closed Thread
Old 05-24-2018, 10:34 AM

[QUOTE=GoodLife;1546687]You need to get your facts straight. Your map is wrong, sinkhole was on McLawren not McAlpin. That's about 1.5 to 2 miles from the VA Hospital.

I got my info from here... (I didn't visit the location personally). With the info I saw, that is how I checked the map. Oh, and get your facts straight, it isn't a VA Hospital, it is a VA clinic. And I looked at that map you posted and where all the homes near Morse going to Rohan? Sure wasn't a 2017 map. Not even a 2014 map.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-05-24 at 11.32.35 AM.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	75173  

Last edited by Chi33; 05-24-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I don't think PVC pipe rots. PVC has been used in Florida since 1975.
Well, them must of added metal tubes on the end, CAUSE you can See the rotted out street drain outlet in the pond basin on the west side.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:54 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

The epidemic of sinkholes in The Villages made Smithsonian Magazine.

"Man-made development, it turns out, is the most persistent factor for increased sinkholes. Earth-moving equipment scrapes away protective layers of soil; parking lots and paved roads divert rainwater to new infiltration points; the weight of new buildings presses down on weak spots; buried infrastructure can lead to leaking pipes; and, perhaps most of all, the pumping of groundwater disrupts the delicate water table that keeps the karst stable. “Our preliminary research indicates that the risk of sinkholes is 11 times greater in developed areas than undeveloped ones,” says George Veni, the executive director of the National Cave and Karst Research Institute who conducted a field study in Sinkhole Alley."

Another huge factor is pumping water from the aquifer. From the same Smithsonian article...

"And The Villages has been in development overdrive. It was the fastest growing metropolitan area in the US. four years in a row (2013-16), and it’s still in the top 10. In his 2008 book Leisureville, journalist Andrew Blechman reported that The Villages would “finish its build-out—an industry term for the point when a project is complete—in the very near future,” peaking at “110,000 residents.” Yet a decade later, the population has sped past 125,000. Last year The Villages reported a 93 percent boom in housing construction and a new purchase of land that will yield up to 20,000 homes. Another land deal for 8,000 new homes is nearing completion.

Those new homes will bring more golf courses, and The Villages already has 49 of them (#2 per capita among all U.S. counties). The retention ponds built on those courses can leak into the karst and trigger sinkholes. Irrigating those 49 courses and the tens of thousands of lawns in The Villages is also a significant risk factor. In his 2016 book Oh, Florida, veteran reporter Craig Pittman reveals how his friend who worked at the Daily Sun said the staff was never to write two things: 1) anything complimentary of Barack Obama, and 2) “The numerous sinkholes that open up because of all the water being pumped from the aquifer to keep lawns and golf courses green.”

In a scathing column, Orlando Sentinel’s Lauren Ritchie notes how the fledgling community in 1991 had a water permit to use 65 millions gallons a year, but by 2017 that rate reached “a stunning 12.4 billion gallons a year.” The local aquifer in Sumter County is also threatened by a controversial plan by a bottling company to pump nearly a half-million gallons of water a day—and double that rate during peak months. Despite the protests of Villagers worried that a falling water table will spur sinkholes, pumping will begin soon."

The Science Behind Florida’s Sinkhole Epidemic
|
Science | Smithsonian

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 05-26-2018 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Looks like the epidemic of sinkholes in The Villages made Smithsonian Magazine. Wow! The Science Behind Florida’s Sinkhole Epidemic
|
Science | Smithsonian
Any bets on whether the Happy Paper will report this national story...by an institution as well respected as the Smithsonian?
Old 05-26-2018, 06:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Any bets on whether the Happy Paper will report this national story...by an institution as well respected as the Smithsonian?
As my mother used to tell me "Wait and see."

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 05-26-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
As my mother used to tell me "Wait and see."
Mine always said...

"Quit saying...do you wanna bet?!"

Old 05-26-2018, 07:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

...mmmm]

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-30-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:17 PM
Default This was a defective street drain!

A bigger question than where to get sink hole coverage is what is causing the problem in The Villages. These holes started from a culvert that was either installed wrong or with defective material which caused an underground water leak which lead to a large erosion problem which made sink holes.
I am no engineer, but when large amounts of water leak from drainage pipes your going to have major erosion. In the southern part of The Villages I am told they now use concrete pipe, in the old section they use steel. All street drains that can be are interconnected in The Villages, and feed into their man made ponds. Look at your neighborhood, these large culvert style pipes run underground in between many of our houses.
So the question is what is going on? Were the drains in Calumet installed wrong?? Did The Villages use cheap foreign piping that is corroding and collapsing in places 15 years after installation. Is this an isolated incidence or should we all be worried??? BIG QUESTION TO ME? They admitted fault was theirs in Calumet, but really haven't explained the how and why. Look at the pictures all over the web. This was a defective drain that caused a man made sink hole. I do not believe this is mother natures work!
Old 05-26-2018, 08:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Of course I abhor her attitude about TV but she competently uncovers a lot of what is really happening in the area that would be otherwise overlooked and/or swept under the rug. Smithsonian Magazine saw fit to quote her on water use. I respect her report on that particular matter.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:31 PM
Sage

////

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-30-2018 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Of course I abhor her attitude about TV but she competently uncovers a lot of what is really happening in the area that would be otherwise overlooked and/or swept under the rug. Smithsonian Magazine saw fit to quote her on water use. I respect her report on that particular matter.
I just got through reading the entire thread about the columnist linked above.

It's patently obvious that she's an investigative journalist/columnist, which doesn't have to mean that they cannot also show their own opinion.

I challenge anyone, to point to ANY television/print, journalist/columnist...that DOESN'T interject their own opinion(s).

Having said that, we also all have the ability to agree/disagree with a writer's/commentator's opinion...but we don't have the right to argue with their actual facts.

Her writing on the water amounts and the bond issue...were pure fact.

Her writing on the morality/immorality of the deceased developer...was pure opinion.

For those that become apoplectic at even a scent, of any criticism, of any part of TV...I can see why they abhor her.

One thing is for sure though, you'll never find out about the facts she's uncovered...if you just depend on the Daily Sun.

As for me, I prefer facts and the whole story (with proof)...at which point I will then develop my overall 'opinion' of a certain subject.

Primarily because, I've never been real fond...of Ostriches anyway.

As for sinkholes...that's a deep subject.

And y'all can save it, as I know that Ostriches don't really stick their head in the sand...and it's just an urban myth.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:33 PM
Sage

Rational answers and hopefully engineering remedies depend upon understanding the science of the situation as revealed in the Smithsonian Magazine article, sources cited therein and other published research. Making obviously clearly refutable statements about the subject with religious-like fervor is irrational and nonsensical. Attacking the messenger is callous.

Nor am I an ostrich. I simply want to know and understand the facts so as to be able to rationally proceed.

Last edited by manaboutown; 05-26-2018 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Rational answers and perhaps remedies depend upon understanding the science of the situation as revealed in the Smithsonian Magazine article, sources cited therein and other published research. Making unsubstantiated statements about the subject with religious-like fervor is nonsensical. Attacking the messenger is callous.

Nor am I an ostrich. I just want to know and understand the facts to rationally evaluate how to proceed.
Ahh, it's all good.

'Build-out' is coming soon...so it's all moot anyway.

Old 05-26-2018, 09:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
'Build-out' is coming soon...so it's all moot anyway.

Yep, only what, 28,000 homes left to build on the land currently in inventory?

Last edited by manaboutown; 05-26-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:59 AM
Sage

I live dangerously. I just got up. My dear sweet husband placed a cup of coffee with half and half and a freshly baked donut with cream inside right next to where I plopped down here at the computer.

There is Zero, Zilch in the rain gauge. It has only sprinkled all night long and the several inches of rain predicted from Alberto have not started. The sun is shining. It is another beautiful day in The Villages.

I will soon sally forth to the Publix and purchase a nice chuck roast to fix tomorrow for the holiday. I will see a lot of older people who are busily moving around this beautifully run place.

I am so lucky to live here.

Tags
make, happen, rain, opened, 5/21/18

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.