Campers Parking on the Street?

Closed Thread
Old 04-06-2012, 05:54 PM
Veteran member
Default Campers Parking on the Street?

I seem to recall reading about the rules governing the parking of campers on the street in TOTV, but I can't seem to find the thread I remembered by using the search function.

What are the rules about parking a camper (a rather large one) on the street in TV? Someone parked one on our street a couple of days ago. It is causing problems getting around it when we have cars/carts going in both directions.

I'm not comfortable approaching the homeowner, and if it is only here for another day or so it is not a big deal (to me), but if it remains for much longer I may need to call Community Watch (is that who we call?). I did notice today that they have a power cord going out to the camper, so it appears someone is staying in the camper.

"Growing older but not up." J. Buffett

Coral Gables, FL, Bahamas, Belize, Wilmington, NC, Bocas del Toro, Panama and finally The Villages
Old 04-06-2012, 06:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,415 Times in 2,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappyjon431 View Post
I seem to recall reading about the rules governing the parking of campers on the street in TOTV, but I can't seem to find the thread I remembered by using the search function.

What are the rules about parking a camper (a rather large one) on the street in TV? Someone parked one on our street a couple of days ago. It is causing problems getting around it when we have cars/carts going in both directions.

I'm not comfortable approaching the homeowner, and if it is only here for another day or so it is not a big deal (to me), but if it remains for much longer I may need to call Community Watch (is that who we call?). I did notice today that they have a power cord going out to the camper, so it appears someone is staying in the camper.
If you feel it is a safety hazard, call the sheriff's office.
A camper in a driveway can only be there for 72 hours. Some owners of campers just drive them around the block every three days. Nice, don't ya think??
Old 04-06-2012, 06:08 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

You can try this discussion from 2007:

New TOV member needs RV answers - Talk of The Villages
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 04-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
If you feel it is a safety hazard, call the sheriff's office.
A camper in a driveway can only be there for 72 hours. Some owners of campers just drive them around the block every three days. Nice, don't ya think??
Unfortunately, this one is too big to fit in a driveway. It is out on the street in front of the homeowner's house. I wouldn't care if it was in his driveway. If it is still there by this time tomorrow i will call community watch first and then the sheriff (if community watch can't resolve it).

Coral Gables, FL, Bahamas, Belize, Wilmington, NC, Bocas del Toro, Panama and finally The Villages
Old 04-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Gold member

Maybe its someone just visiting for a few days. I would not call community watch. Maybe for a few days you just have to drive slower around it,or use the next street. Its always nice to be polite to the people on your street.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Sage

check your deed restrictions. usually they're pretty clear.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:32 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
Maybe its someone just visiting for a few days. I would not call community watch. Maybe for a few days you just have to drive slower around it,or use the next street. Its always nice to be polite to the people on your street.
I believe that is what I said I was going to do in my above posts (its been there for a couple of days and I am going to wait until this time tomorrow), but maybe I wasn't clear. I'm a relatively new resident and as a newcomer I don't want to cause any problems with my neighbors.

We live in an older Village and the streets are fairly narrow. I think the reason the rules are in affect is that the campers can impede emergency vehicles from getting through in the event of an emergency.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:23 PM
Sage

A thread on the same topic from several months back:

Giant RV parked in the road

Bill
Old 04-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,534 Times in 1,921 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
I agree. Bend over backwards on this one. It is Easter week. A lot of family come at this time.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:43 PM

Sit back - relax - and smell the roses!. Yes, sometimes campers cause a very minor inconvenience but as others have said, this is Easter weekend and a lot of residents are fortunate enough to have family and/or close friends visiting. Chill out and turn the other cheek (or should I say, the other eye - lol). If it doesn't obstruct emergency vehicles, then feel happy for the resident and have a blessed Easter.
The Villages
Old 04-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Veteran member

Lots of snowbirds getting ready to leave in their motor homes. Lighten up and stop complaining.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,598 Times in 1,335 Posts

I am thinking community watch would already know. If they can see me when I am running at 3am and want to stop me an chat, than they should be able to spot a camper in the street
Old 04-06-2012, 08:24 PM

My "Cousin Eddie" is visiting for a few days. He'll be going back to Nebraska Sunday afternoon, so if you could please bear with me and my family, we don't get to see him often.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I agree. Bend over backwards on this one. It is Easter week. A lot of family come at this time.
Amen
Old 04-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Veteran member

All good points (and well taken), and it IS a holiday weekend.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.