Sinkhole near Cane Garden

Closed Thread
Old 03-08-2012, 06:54 PM
Veteran member
Default Sinkhole coverage

So I'll definitely contact an agent before putting a deposit on a lot. But say I pick a lot and by the time they come to test it's sold to someone else.
Wonder if TV will give you a rebate if you back out of a lot cause you cannot get sinkhole coverage or the coverage has a very high deductible or high cost.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:19 AM
Sage
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljetmet View Post
So I'll definitely contact an agent before putting a deposit on a lot. But say I pick a lot and by the time they come to test it's sold to someone else.
Wonder if TV will give you a rebate if you back out of a lot cause you cannot get sinkhole coverage or the coverage has a very high deductible or high cost.
That's an excellent question for your sales person. Please let us know what he/she says in response.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,513 Times in 1,912 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
That's an excellent question for your sales person. Please let us know what he/she says in response.
You can't insure what you don't own. Inquire now. Do your due diligence.

And even if there is a danger anywhere in Florida of sinkholes, The Villages isn't having any trouble selling those lots.

Dance while you can still hear the music.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:14 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

And even if there is a danger anywhere in Florida of sinkholes, The Villages isn't having any trouble selling those lots.

I think he was talking about a sink hole inspection. A very good idea. I will be doing same before dancing.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,513 Times in 1,912 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default I thought I was following this line of thought.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl The Villages Florida

"I think he was talking about a sink hole inspection. A very good idea. I will be doing same before dancing."Posh

How could they inspect a lot for sinkholes before you choose a lot and put a deposit on it??? Just asking. And my point is that sinkholes happen, they are fairly rare. Central and West central Florida has more than the rest of the state. That known and given, the lots are still selling here pretty fast and people are taking their chances. May I have this waltz, Posh? .

The cheery thought around here is that if you don't ever have a sinkhole, you have a good chance to be hit by a drunken golf cart driver.

OR...CAN YOU HAVE A POTENTIAL LOT INSPECTED.??AND HOW DO THEY DO THAT? AND WILL THEY CHARGE YOU FOR THAT? And even after that can you be sure?
Old 03-12-2012, 10:22 AM
Veteran member
Default Sinkhole coverage

Quote:
Quote:

"I think he was talking about a sink hole inspection. A very good idea. I will be doing same before dancing."Posh

How could they inspect a lot for sinkholes before you choose a lot and put a deposit on it??? Just asking. And my point is that sinkholes happen, they are fairly rare. Central and West central Florida has more than the rest of the state. That known and given, the lots are still selling here pretty fast and people are taking their chances. May I have this waltz, Posh? .

The cheery thought around here is that if you don't ever have a sinkhole, you have a good chance to be hit by a drunken golf cart driver.

OR...CAN YOU HAVE A POTENTIAL LOT INSPECTED.??AND HOW DO THEY DO THAT? AND WILL THEY CHARGE YOU FOR THAT? And even after that can you be sure?
I wonder if I should start a new thread on this?

With the multitude closures on homes south of 466A I wonder how many people have:

1> Tried to get sinkhole coverage?
2> How many denied?
3> If coverage was given how much and what is the deductible?

I wish I knew how to start a poll. hint hint please!

So in the meantime I'll

Last edited by aljetmet; 03-12-2012 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Added "?"
Old 03-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
.....I wish I knew how to start a poll. .....
This should help:

Talk of The Villages - FAQ: Reading and Posting Messages

Bill
Old 03-12-2012, 10:57 AM

I heard that someone received a letter from their insurance company that their sinkhole coverage was canceled. The catastophic sinkhole coverage was not canceled. Has anyone else had their sinkhole coveraged canceled?

What did you do? Can you get S.H. coverage from Florida Citizens Ins? What would the cost and the deductible be?

We have visited The Villages for two years and will be putting our home up for sale in April. I need to be sure I will be covered when the home is built and in the future. Thanks in advance for responding.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:13 AM
Sage

twotogo, in addition to seeking feedback/input here on TOTV, it's undoubtedly best that you also contact an insurance agent regarding your questions and concerns. Plenty of referrals in this thread and others regarding various insurance agencies if you don't already have one in mind.

Bill
Old 03-12-2012, 11:20 AM
Gold member
Default Call first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
twotogo, in addition to seeking feedback/input here on TOTV, it's undoubtedly best that you also contact an insurance agent regarding your questions and concerns. Plenty of referrals in this thread and others regarding various insurance agencies if you don't already have one in mind.

Bill
Bill is Spot on- This is no longer a stick your head in the sand and it will go away concern. If you are buying a lot find out of coverage is available.

If the TV wants to sell homes and FLa underwriters are no providing a service to the new clients then TV may want to consider and underwrite ther own insurance for us. Now that will start a stink on this site!

Call agents get quotes on total sink hole coverage first That is both major and minor damage.

Folks in St James and Tamarind Grove area got in under the wire or those that took it did. TOTV saved our hides. I would never have looked into that coverage without help from my fellow posters.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post
Per today's paper, this incident was a water main break and not a sinkhole.

To Advo.... Golf course irrigation is primarily via reclaimed water in the various ponds.
So what caused the water main to break? Up north breaks are usually ground movement caused by freezing and thawing..
Why would a new pipe in TV just break if it was not ground movement?
JJ
Old 03-12-2012, 01:51 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Quote:

Working on it. Get this place sold first then away we go.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotogo View Post
I heard that someone received a letter from their insurance company that their sinkhole coverage was canceled. The catastophic sinkhole coverage was not canceled. Has anyone else had their sinkhole coveraged canceled?

What did you do? Can you get S.H. coverage from Florida Citizens Ins? What would the cost and the deductible be?

We have visited The Villages for two years and will be putting our home up for sale in April. I need to be sure I will be covered when the home is built and in the future. Thanks in advance for responding.
It's possible that insurance companies will not renew policies with sinkhole coverage. The reason I say this is that when we lived in Palm Beach County, our HO policy was not renewed by Allstate Floridian, along with 95,000 others. This was due to hurricane losses, even though we never had a claim. Even our agent's policy was not renewed. The big insurance companies left Florida and gradually smaller companies moved in. Probably when the whole issue of sinkhole claims eventually settles down more insurance companies will step in and offer the coverage.

Allstate Floridian offered us one alternative: Universal Property, with whom we could retain our $500 deductible. Citizens would have been much more expensive with a higher deductible. Our insurance in TV is up for renewal in July and we'll have to see what happens.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:05 AM
Gold member
Default Rates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
The big insurance companies left Florida and gradually smaller companies moved in. Probably when the whole issue of sinkhole claims eventually settles down more insurance companies will step in and offer the coverage.

Our insurance in TV is up for renewal in July and we'll have to see what happens.
Couldn't have said it better Carla! I'm betting that next year all our rates go up or are gone until this all settles down.

Wonder how many say go un-protected and just let the bank take it when it disappeares?
Old 03-13-2012, 03:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuys View Post
Thanks Bill, Your a good mentor and a " Go to Resource"

I did exactly what you recommend. Like you we went to our agent and we were lucky with getting our policies. In fact I had several close friends in Tamarind work with me also.

My Post was for all the new or soon to purchase buyers reading. I believe that we are not starting panic but as per the TOTV I feel it is a nice gesture to give people a heads up.

Some attack that we are starting a panic. I was shocked to find out how close we came to NOT getting coverage or a huge deductible.

As you most correctly stated. You and I both found that a call to your agent is priceless.

I would someday hope like a used home inspection a new lot would have the requirement to provide sinkhole inspection to give those peace of mind.

Good companies with technology of ground sonar and test drilling can determine a yea! or nay!

I am afraid that these rates are going to climb unless Fla law restores insurance sinkhole reasonable coverage.
Everyone thinking of purchasing in The Villages would understand your gesture of giving people a "heads up". It's not panic to educate oneself about potential problems. The old adage........."Buyer Beware" still holds true.

Also, as far as another thought , by others, that maybe those who did encounter a lot with sinkhole "issues" would just give it back to the bank.
Well, not everyone takes out a mortgage. I would think most would use the profits from their earlier home to buy the new home or lot/property and without the sinkhole insurance in their Homeowners Policy....would be totally devastated.

I was just surprised to see our HO policy up here in Vermont rise in cost as well as the insurance agency offer us a $5,000 deductible to save $100 a year. This on the heels of the devastating Vermont floods (two last year, in June and August).............Mother Nature is unpredictable all over lately.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.