Sinkhole near Cane Garden

Closed Thread
Old 02-08-2012, 01:50 PM
BOMBERO

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villager II View Post
WOW Does home insurance cover this?
WOW You have a house here and don't know.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Gold member
Default Daily Sun Coverage

There have been a number of sinkholes in The Villages-- generally unreported by The Daily Sun. I wonder of the reporting of this one was an editorial oversight or if the Sun is actually becoming a newspaper.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
Look at the front door area. See the gap on top of the door from left to right. The foundation appears to be missing under the front porch area too. This home has some issues... Hope it can be saved.
Tommy, what looks like the door being racked could be a shadowing issue at the top of the door - might just be how the light appears to be hitting it. But you might be right as well, though nothing else with the house looks off at all.

I believe a porch like that might be poured as a slab without any footer, just like a patio would be poured. It doesn't appear that it's supporting any part of the house so no footers would be necessary.

Bill
Old 02-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Sage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm2760jmm View Post
Does this happen all at once or over a period of time...hours, days etc..? I've never seen anything like this and it's a little scary.
From what I've learned after living in FL for over a decade is there's no hard and fast rule. There might be cracking over a period of time in foundations, flooring, and walls, or it could just go caboom. I don't know what the circumstances of this case were.

Unfortunately, this is probably not an isolated event. Hernando county, which is dubbed the sinkhole capital of FL, has had whole neighborhoods wiped out. When you live in sinkhole alley, you must keep your sinkhole insurance coverage up to date. Number of residential sinkhole claims filed with Citizens Insurance in 2011: statewide 4024, Hernando County 1920.

Last edited by janmcn; 02-08-2012 at 04:31 PM. Reason: more info
Old 02-08-2012, 02:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm2760jmm View Post
Does this happen all at once or over a period of time...hours, days etc..? I've never seen anything like this and it's a little scary.
I agree.

As a wannabee:

Does sinkhole coverage include living in other accomodations until this is investigated and resolved?

I know I wouldn't feel safe if this happened. I would need to be reassured everything would be OK.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Gold member
Default Don't assume

that because a particular homeowner policy might cover alternate accommodations if home is unlivable while being repaired, that all of them do.

Just like 3 people might have liability coverage on their auto insurance, but one policy might exclude coverage if driver is convicted of dui when the accident occurred, or might deny coverage if the at-fault driver had no valid driver's license (perhaps they let the renewal date slip by). ALL POLICIES ARE NOT THE SAME.

This would be a good time for everyone to go read their policies and make sure you understand what is and is not covered.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
There have been a number of sinkholes in The Villages-- generally unreported by The Daily Sun. I wonder of the reporting of this one was an editorial oversight or if the Sun is actually becoming a newspaper.
Seems as though the Daily Sun just can not win. If they don't publish they are damned, if they do then it must be a mistake.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:36 PM
Veteran member

Does anyone know the answer to this question. The deed restrictions I have read require the owner to rebuild a home that is damaged or destroyed. ( I am assuming to avoid blight and empty lots. How do you do that if you get a sinkhole? It would be one thing to repair a hole next your house, and hope it do not expand and damage the house.. but if there was a hole under the house, who would ever rebuild on a such a lot.. even if you had the guts to try it, how would you ever sell it later?
JJ
Old 02-08-2012, 02:52 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post

This would be a good time for everyone to go read their policies and make sure you understand what is and is not covered.
This bears repeating, repeating, repeating.

And learn the difference between sinkhole coverage and catastrophic ground collapse. (hint--there is a whole thread on this)
In reality, they're different!
Old 02-08-2012, 02:57 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJoe View Post
Does anyone know the answer to this question. The deed restrictions I have read require the owner to rebuild a home that is damaged or destroyed. ( I am assuming to avoid blight and empty lots. How do you do that if you get a sinkhole? It would be one thing to repair a hole next your house, and hope it do not expand and damage the house.. but if there was a hole under the house, who would ever rebuild on a such a lot.. even if you had the guts to try it, how would you ever sell it later?
JJ
Four years ago a neighbor in our former village had 2 sink holes along side and in back of the home. The holes were plugged with concrete and filled in. Then large holes (looked like at least 6 to a side) were bored in to angle under the home on all 4 sides and concrete was pumped in, apparently to fill in and support the slab. A neighbor told me that at least 15 truck loads were needed to just fill the holes drilled. I noticed all seemed to be fine when I recently drove past that property.
I assume the owner will have to disclose in event of a resale. While I would hesitate to buy it, it probably sits a lot more solid than its neighbors.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:04 PM
Sage

I think I'm in the land of OZ! Ykes! Really scary.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
Four years ago a neighbor in our former village had 2 sink holes along side and in back of the home. The holes were plugged with concrete and filled in. Then large holes (looked like at least 6 to a side) were bored in to angle under the home on all 4 sides and concrete was pumped in, apparently to fill in and support the slab. A neighbor told me that at least 15 truck loads were needed to just fill the holes drilled. I noticed all seemed to be fine when I recently drove past that property.
I assume the owner will have to disclose in event of a resale. While I would hesitate to buy it, it probably sits a lot more solid than its neighbors.
Thanks.
JJ
Old 02-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJoe View Post
JJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJohn View Post
:And learn the difference between sinkhole coverage and catastrophic ground collapse. (hint--there is a whole thread on this)
Good questions and answer. Lots of great info by our smart members to be learned and retained.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-08-2012, 04:44 PM
BOMBERO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Seems as though the Daily Sun just can not win. If they don't publish they are damned, if they do then it must be a mistake.
Remember .... this was posted by an attorney.

Attorney Joke : A golfer hooked his tee shot over a hill and onto the next fairway. Walking toward his ball, he saw a man lying on the ground, groaning with pain.

"I'm an attorney," the wincing man said, "and this is going to cost you $5000."

"I'm sorry, I'm really sorry," the concerned golfer replied. "But I did yell 'fore'."

"I'll take it," the attorney said.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:00 PM
Sage
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
I think I'm in the land of OZ! Ykes! Really scary.
Didn't your sales person explain the risks of sink holes in this neck of the woods?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.