Sinkhole near Cane Garden

Closed Thread
Old 02-08-2012, 05:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJoe View Post
Does anyone know the answer to this question. The deed restrictions I have read require the owner to rebuild a home that is damaged or destroyed. ( I am assuming to avoid blight and empty lots. How do you do that if you get a sinkhole? It would be one thing to repair a hole next your house, and hope it do not expand and damage the house.. but if there was a hole under the house, who would ever rebuild on a such a lot.. even if you had the guts to try it, how would you ever sell it later?
JJ
They can repair a sinkhole. They pump in concrete to reinforce the underlayers. This part of The Villages is about seven years old I would guess. I recall reading on this forum that a sinkhole happened on or close to a pond before we moved here more than four years ago in the Spanish sounding area. The ground here and hereabouts is sand as it is in most of Florida.

I think Avogado is dead wrong and there is no issues about sinkholes that we don't know about. We live here. We hear and see things. We know what is going on. We talk, we post, we email. Stop with the cover up stuff.

However the paper was incorrect if you go by the picture. The hole is NOT 20-30 foot deep, it is 20-30 foot wide. It looks to be no more than seven foot deep at the deepest from the picture.

We have flooding and water in basements and cracked foundation up north. I don't know where Hernando county is but we live in either Lake, Marion and mostly Sumter county in The Villages.

I feel bad for these folks but I bet that their property will be liveable and safe again in a matter of days.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Seems as though the Daily Sun just can not win. If they don't publish they are damned, if they do then it must be a mistake.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Sage

I agree with you Gracie. Florida is the sinkhole capital of the US, I believe. Has to do with what is under the top layer of soil.
Just in case you'd like more info on the nasty things, check out this link... FGS, Sinkholes in Florida
Old 02-08-2012, 05:41 PM
Gold member
Default Come on . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
Didn't your sales person explain the risks of sink holes in this neck of the woods?
Do you think that in Texas agents mention the risks of drought? That you should be sure to water your foundation? Or in Kansas or the rest of the Midwest and South that they mention tornadoes to someone moving there from the West Coast? Or on the east coast the possibility of hurricanes? Or lightning strikes anywhere there are thunderstorms? Of course not.

I remember that when I moved to California, I was a little afraid of earthquakes, but I don't remember the agent saying, "You know, we get a lot of earthquakes out here." I do remember that my native Californian neighbor was terrified of the rare thunderstorms when they occurred.

I am sure that if you asked, the agents (in all places) would have said something like, "yes, they occur, but the possibility of it happening to you is minimal", which it is. They would probably advise you to buy sinkhole coverage.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I now understand why the Daily Sun doesn't report it. And next time I will ignore it as well.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:04 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I agree.

As a wannabee:

Does sinkhole coverage include living in other accomodations until this is investigated and resolved?

I know I wouldn't feel safe if this happened. I would need to be reassured everything would be OK.

Sinkholes are a risk in Florida. Here is an excellent description of the situation and of the insurance coverage that is available for sinkhole coverage and catastrophic-ground-collapse coverage: Sinkholes and Catastrophic Ground Collapse

Catastrophic ground coverage is required in all homeowners' policies, but sinkhole coverage is optional. If you don't want to take chances, you need to get both kinds of coverage.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:06 PM
Gold member
Default Website with information on insurance coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I agree.

As a wannabee:

Does sinkhole coverage include living in other accomodations until this is investigated and resolved?

I know I wouldn't feel safe if this happened. I would need to be reassured everything would be OK.

Sinkholes are a risk in Florida. Here is an excellent summary of the situation and of the insurance coverage that is available for sinkhole coverage and catastrophic-ground-collapse coverage: Sinkholes and Catastrophic Ground Collapse

Catastrophic ground coverage is required in all homeowners' policies, but sinkhole coverage is optional. If you don't want to take chances, you need to get BOTH kinds of coverage.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I now understand why the Daily Sun doesn't report it. And next time I will ignore it as well.
You did great reporting it. The Daily Sun DID report it Chris. They said it was 20-30 foot DEEP. It looks to be about that wide. If you took the picture, how deep, wide, would you say?
Old 02-08-2012, 06:19 PM
Gold member
Default Kudos for the Daily Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Seems as though the Daily Sun just can not win. If they don't publish they are damned, if they do then it must be a mistake.
Hey, I am happy that the Sun reported it.

I just pointed out that stories reflecting unfavorably on The Villages or the Developer (murders, robberies, IRS investigation, the class-action lawsuit, dealings between the Developer and the CDDs controlled by the Developer, the Morse poaching indictment, etc.) are generally not reported by the Sun or are buried on back pages.

If reporting this story, which would certainly be reported in the local newspaper in any other community of comparable size, marks a new "page" for the Sun, good. On the other hand, if reporting it was an editorial mistake, heads will roll.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:49 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Just happened, I believe sometime last night.
O M G !! I magine stepping out at 6 am for your newspaper!
where we live, we suffer with 'subsidence' At different times of the year, our laundry room will drop by 1/2 1 inch, then come spring, back to normal
Old 02-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Veteran member

Has there been a history of sinkholes in The Villages? Here is an article I found...pretty scary!

Sinkhole eats lake - more trouble in The Villages
Old 02-08-2012, 07:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN & JOSIE View Post
Has there been a history of sinkholes in The Villages? Here is an article I found...pretty scary!

Sinkhole eats lake - more trouble in The Villages
Not scary if you read it carefully , all of it and read that it happened in 2002. And it was in a retention pond which is still there and very pretty too.

I am not trying to argue with you. I just am thinking about all of the nice people who worry who read this forum. Us grown up tend to worry anyway. Let's not make it worse than it is. It is troublesome, but it is rare. I am not trying to protect anything or anyone, I just know how I felt when I was up north and read something like this, with no way to personally assess it.

READ ALL OF IT. I am guessing that lake is the one that is in the center of St. James Circle near Glenview Country Club, but I don't know that for sure.

Poor carguy.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchgirl View Post
Not scary if you read it carefully , all of it and read that it happened in 2002. And it was in a retention pond which is still there and very pretty too.

I am not trying to argue with you. I just am thinking about all of the nice people who worry who read this forum. Us grown up tend to worry anyway. Let's not make it worse than it is. It is troublesome, but it is rare. I am not trying to protect anything or anyone, I just know how I felt when I was up north and read something like this, with no way to personally assess it.

READ ALL OF IT. I am guessing that lake is the one that is in the center of St. James Circle near Glenview Country Club, but I don't know that for sure.

Poor carguy.
Just asking, I found this article that shows a major sinkhole in Leesburg, in 2011, which really is not that far away. Just trying to get a grasp on how common these are. Not use to seeing the earth open up overnight with such nasty results.

Leesburg, Florida. June 27th, 2011. | thesinkhole.org
Old 02-08-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchgirl View Post

Poor carguy.
I agree... It seems every time someone posts something like this, or say banning golf carts, everyone starts running around like chickens with their heads cut off!

Sink holes happen in Florida.

Central Florida Sinkhole Problem is Growing - Florida Local Information - a Welcome Center - Zimbio

If they bother you, stay in California where there are earthquakes and mudslides, or the mid west or south where the tornadoes are. Or maybe a state that shuts down due to snow storms. The gulf or east coast, near the water with its hurricanes. Every state has it's issues. For Central Florida, it's sinkholes... and alligators... and coyotes.... Oh... and dogs pooping in your yard.... and.... *sigh*

I love my little place in paradise and if a sinkhole takes my home, I will deal with it then.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Village Girl View Post
I agree... It seems every time someone posts something like this, or say banning golf carts, everyone starts running around like chickens with their heads cut off!

Sink holes happen in Florida.

Central Florida Sinkhole Problem is Growing - Florida Local Information - a Welcome Center - Zimbio

If they bother you, stay in California where there are earthquakes and mudslides, or the mid west or south where the tornadoes are. Or maybe a state that shuts down due to snow storms. The gulf or east coast, near the water with its hurricanes. Every state has it's issues. For Central Florida, it's sinkholes... and alligators... and coyotes.... Oh... and dogs pooping in your yard.... and.... *sigh*

I love my little place in paradise and if a sinkhole takes my home, I will deal with it then.
Thanks for the link, it does answer my question that the sinkhole problem seems to be growing in Florida. I never really heard much about this before. You are so right, live each day, for we can never predict our futures.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.