Addition to home

Closed Thread
Old 05-18-2018, 03:09 PM
Location: The woods of the UP of Michigan and the Village of Pinellas
Default Addition to home

We have a designer home on a golf course. We built the home as close to the property line of the golf course as permitted. This has left use with a sizable front yard and driveway.
We have been considering adding an addition to the home because we would prefer not to leave our neighborhood and homesite. We have seen a few homes that have added up, enhancing their view and adding needed square footage.
We,on the other hand, do not want stairs to climb as we age. I am wondering if anyone has seen an addition to the front of a home. Adding square footage to the entrance, front bedroom and garage, could be the solution. We have not, however, seen this done.
Does anyone have any pertinent advice. Thank you in advance.

I'd rather regret what I've done, than regret what I've left undone. Lucille Ball
Old 05-18-2018, 03:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
We have a designer home on a golf course. We built the home as close to the property line of the golf course as permitted. This has left use with a sizable front yard and driveway.
We have been considering adding an addition to the home because we would prefer not to leave our neighborhood and homesite. We have seen a few homes that have added up, enhancing their view and adding needed square footage.
We,on the other hand, do not want stairs to climb as we age. I am wondering if anyone has seen an addition to the front of a home. Adding square footage to the entrance, front bedroom and garage, could be the solution. We have not, however, seen this done.
Does anyone have any pertinent advice. Thank you in advance.
Suggest you contact Architectural Review Committee, for advice.
VCDD Architectural Review
Old 05-18-2018, 08:32 PM
Veteran member

What about an elevator? Second floor view would be awesome.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

A good contractor will have the ability to help determine alternatives.

The better ones are very creative once they know what you want to accomplish.

Don't worry about cost/price during the free thinking mode. That comes after you get what you want done on paper. The pricing process has a way of providing reality to the equation.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:10 PM
Platinum member

There are a number of homes north of 466 that have added to the front of their home... 3 or 4 just in our neighborhood alone!
Old 05-19-2018, 06:47 AM
Veteran member

We have used for our additions ..." X Cel Construction " all with 100% satisfaction here is the contact information

X Cel Construction Tel: Office 352-589-4440 Cell : 352-266-1102
Old 05-19-2018, 09:16 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,345 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Suggest you contact Architectural Review Committee, for advice.
VCDD Architectural Review
I agree with this. Why waste time if they are not going to allow it, if they say it can be done with or without restrictions, then you can really get into it. Good luck either way.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I agree with this. Why waste time if they are not going to allow it, if they say it can be done with or without restrictions, then you can really get into it. Good luck either way.
ARC needs specific plans as to what the project entails. Meet with a contractor, get a game plan, and submit it to ARC. You cant just call ARC and say “I want to expand, is it allowed?”
Old 05-19-2018, 10:08 AM

And a good contractor has a good sense of what is allowed. Especially if they are gathering the permits.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
ARC needs specific plans as to what the project entails. Meet with a contractor, get a game plan, and submit it to ARC. You cant just call ARC and say “I want to expand, is it allowed?”
Why not? If you asked can I expand to the front of my house.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,160 Times in 2,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Actually you can call ARC and ask questions, you cannot get final approval. All you will get is general information, and they will tell you that you need to submit specific plans for approval. I have called a few times gotten replies, as to "no you cannot do that" to "yes you MAY be able to do that but you need to submit detailed plans", so as suggested previously call ARC. As an aside, I did call ARC about an addition to the front of our house and was told absolutely NO, however in our case the addition would have caused the house to be closer to the road than surroundinfg houses, you stated your house is further back, so you MIGHT get away with it.
Good luck with your project.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
I am wondering if anyone has seen an addition to the front of a home.
Yes.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:15 PM
Location: The woods of the UP of Michigan and the Village of Pinellas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Yes.
I would like to drive by and see any additions to the front of homes that you can direct me to.

I'd rather regret what I've done, than regret what I've left undone. Lucille Ball
Old 05-19-2018, 03:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Actually you can call ARC and ask questions, you cannot get final approval. All you will get is general information, and they will tell you that you need to submit specific plans for approval. I have called a few times gotten replies, as to "no you cannot do that" to "yes you MAY be able to do that but you need to submit detailed plans", so as suggested previously call ARC. As an aside, I did call ARC about an addition to the front of our house and was told absolutely NO, however in our case the addition would have caused the house to be closer to the road than surroundinfg houses, you stated your house is further back, so you MIGHT get away with it.
Good luck with your project.
///////

Last edited by photo1902; 05-19-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:35 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I would like to drive by and see any additions to the front of homes that you can direct me to.
Contact Xcel construction, They can give you a list of addresses of additions they've done.
(they did a 2 car garage addition for me last year)
Closed Thread

Tags
home, front, adding, addition, golf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.