Slight twist on enclosing Lanai

Closed Thread
Old 05-28-2021, 10:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts
Default Slight twist on enclosing Lanai

We are considering enclosing our Lanai. We have a CYV and a smaller Lanai - 14' x 9'.

What we are considering is having the screens replaced with concrete block and stucco and windows that are the same as in the rest of the house,. We do not have a burning desire to raise the floor to match the house. And we want it well done, and are not worried about tax implications.

We want it look like it is part of the original house and not a "Florida" room or porch that has been enclosed. We have nothing against a glassed-in Lanai. We drive around and saw many we liked, but we are not "outdoor" people and plan to use the room as a game/tv room.

So, my questions:

1. Could anyone that has a finished to match the house lanai post some photos so we can see how others have.

2. Ballpark estimates. I have no idea, I expect it is roughly the same price. My guess is, and it is a guess for a two wall with split air would be about $15,000? Less would be better
Old 05-28-2021, 11:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,251 Posts

Your estimate seems about right, but I would consider a few things. Most people who do wall construction instead of glass, use studs, not block. The block may be too heavy to be supported by the lanai slab, which does not have a wall footer like the rest of the house. The lanai floor is probably not level, but sloped away from the house. I would install electrical outlets in the wall and definitely insulate the lanai ceiling. Getting a building permit "may" be an issue if you are not raising the floor. This is a very difficult time to get a contractor to schedule the work, which could also cause the price to increase.
Old 05-28-2021, 11:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
We are considering enclosing our Lanai. We have a CYV and a smaller Lanai - 14' x 9'.

What we are considering is having the screens replaced with concrete block and stucco and windows that are the same as in the rest of the house,. We do not have a burning desire to raise the floor to match the house. And we want it well done, and are not worried about tax implications.

We want it look like it is part of the original house and not a "Florida" room or porch that has been enclosed. We have nothing against a glassed-in Lanai. We drive around and saw many we liked, but we are not "outdoor" people and plan to use the room as a game/tv room.

So, my questions:

1. Could anyone that has a finished to match the house lanai post some photos so we can see how others have.

2. Ballpark estimates. I have no idea, I expect it is roughly the same price. My guess is, and it is a guess for a two wall with split air would be about $15,000? Less would be better
I think then it would be called a "sunroom". I love sunrooms.

What would make it feel bigger too is to have the interior ceiling lifted.

small sunroom - Bing images
Old 05-28-2021, 12:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Good comments, thank you, the footing makes a lot of sense. We have two power duplexes and probably will want two more.
Old 05-28-2021, 12:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

IMHO, you might want to call the building department to see what the restrictions and permits are for this project. Also I ma sure you will need ARC approval for this project. The lanai floor is definitely slopped, ours is 2 inches over 13 feet, so you need to consider this for furniture. The ceiling of the lanai are typically not insulated, and the existing A/C is typically not rated for the additional cooling (or heat) load. Not sure of the implications of NOT raising the floor. You will need to meet current building codes, doors, windows, electrical receptacles, etc. If you plan on leaving windows open, plan for a wet floor and make sure you have a flooring for WET locations installed.
Hope your project goes well.
Old 05-28-2021, 12:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
IMHO, you might want to call the building department to see what the restrictions and permits are for this project. Also I ma sure you will need ARC approval for this project. The lanai floor is definitely slopped, ours is 2 inches over 13 feet, so you need to consider this for furniture. The ceiling of the lanai are typically not insulated, and the existing A/C is typically not rated for the additional cooling (or heat) load. Not sure of the implications of NOT raising the floor. You will need to meet current building codes, doors, windows, electrical receptacles, etc. If you plan on leaving windows open, plan for a wet floor and make sure you have a flooring for WET locations installed.
Hope your project goes well.
Good advice, and yes, I was certain it would require ARC, and sure it would probably require a building permit.

That the floor is sloped is probably reason enough to level and raise it. The first implication that comes to mind is that is a qualification to increase the sq footage of the house for taxes.
Old 05-28-2021, 06:07 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,090 Times in 298 Posts

If you get a quote for $15K, I need the name. I've been getting quotes for replacing my screens with double-pane windows, and the quotes have ranged from $17K to $37K, for the exact same thing -- most of them, the same brand of windows! They want 30% down and the only thing they will promise about when it will be done is that it won't be before September.

One guy told me it would take 6 weeks just for the permits, and then he would come out and frame up the windows in aluminum. At that point, a different guy would measure the openings (again) and order the windows, which would be ANOTHER 12 weeks. And THEN they would put me on the schedule to get them installed! And he wanted $37K for the privilege of leaving my lanai wide open all summer.

I'm about ready to give up and try again next year.
Old 05-28-2021, 07:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadywood View Post
If you get a quote for $15K, I need the name. I've been getting quotes for replacing my screens with double-pane windows, and the quotes have ranged from $17K to $37K, for the exact same thing -- most of them, the same brand of windows! They want 30% down and the only thing they will promise about when it will be done is that it won't be before September.

One guy told me it would take 6 weeks just for the permits, and then he would come out and frame up the windows in aluminum. At that point, a different guy would measure the openings (again) and order the windows, which would be ANOTHER 12 weeks. And THEN they would put me on the schedule to get them installed! And he wanted $37K for the privilege of leaving my lanai wide open all summer.

Sorry to hear that. I hope things go better than that for you.

We probably will not start until around October or November. I have been hearing about shortages in all production lines, and I hope we see some improvement by the end of the year.

Also, I will be going back to Ecuador around late September or Early October for a few weeks to finish some dental work that I am having done (jaw reconstruction and 5 impacts). And I need to be here to help my wife handle our dogs while the contractors are here. So, hopefully our new office/game room for my wife will be a nice Christmas present for her ! If it is not done by then, it is not a big deal. This is an upgrade we discussed before moving in and decided was optional. We are VERY happy with our home as is, but she would just like some place to hide while I am practicing my cello - LOL...
Old 05-28-2021, 08:11 PM

Quote:

So, my questions:

Our neighbor has the same size lanai- 14 x 9. She installed floor to ceiling, single pane sliders and did not have to add air. Her current system takes care of cooling the lanai with the sliders open from the house. She did not raise the floor and had no trouble with furniture placement due to the slight slope. It is not noticeable. Also, another neighbor got an estimate to enclose their 9 foot long wall on their lanai. The estimate for a solid wall on that side was 3000.00. I have seen positive reviews for Harbortown Homes on this site, certainly a possibility for at least one estimate.
Old 05-28-2021, 09:50 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

Build it and they will come! Didnt you all just read about a guy on the Northside! Better do it correctly and get the proper approval and permits... Lawsuits will take up
your Sunroom time!
Old 05-28-2021, 10:39 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadywood View Post

That would be my decision too !
Old 05-29-2021, 05:13 AM

I only have one fact for you but nevertheless I’m going to say that $15,000 is a dream that won’t be coming true.

We just had a 2 ton Mitsubishi split unit installed by Kalos - $5,000. That leaves $10,000 for the construction cost. Given the level of demand around here - I doubt that 10k will even be close.

For those who are wondering - yes, Kalos did a fantastically thorough install. I will be using them for all my hvac needs moving forward.
Old 05-29-2021, 06:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graspher View Post
I only have one fact for you but nevertheless I’m going to say that $15,000 is a dream that won’t be coming true.

We just had a 2 ton Mitsubishi split unit installed by Kalos - $5,000. That leaves $10,000 for the construction cost. Given the level of demand around here - I doubt that 10k will even be close.

For those who are wondering - yes, Kalos did a fantastically thorough install. I will be using them for all my HVAC needs moving forward.
Thank you,

The size of an AC is based on the size of the room, the number of zones, insulation of the room, etc.

According to what I have found, 600 sqft requires about 12,000 BTUs. So, a 2 ton (24,000) BTU would cool an 800 sqft area. Our Lanai is 126 sqft - so would need a 5000 BTU unit. I can't find one that small, but if I got a 6000 BTU (1/2 ton) they sell for $700 to $1000 depending on quality and features.

Installation amounts to mounting two small boxes, one inside and one outside, and drilling a 2-inch hole through the wall for the coolant lines to pass through. If I can't get a contractor to mount the units and drill the hole for less than $1000, I will do it myself.

I appreciate the information, and I am clueless about the construction costs. My question posted here is so I have some idea of a ball park before I start getting quotes. I don't trust most contractors here, I think there are so many old people with too much money that contractors are used to an inflated market.
Old 05-29-2021, 07:09 AM

We had a house addition last fall and used Demetri Homes. They did excellent work and I would highly recommend them. Good luck with your plans.
Old 05-29-2021, 07:18 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. I hope things go better than that for you.

We probably will not start until around October or November. I have been hearing about shortages in all production lines, and I hope we see some improvement by the end of the year.

Also, I will be going back to Ecuador around late September or Early October for a few weeks to finish some dental work that I am having done (jaw reconstruction and 5 impacts). And I need to be here to help my wife handle our dogs while the contractors are here. So, hopefully our new office/game room for my wife will be a nice Christmas present for her ! If it is not done by then, it is not a big deal. This is an upgrade we discussed before moving in and decided was optional. We are VERY happy with our home as is, but she would just like some place to hide while I am practicing my cello - LOL...
What direction will the windows face? Unless you like a LOT of heat and light, some sunrooms here can be unbearable and so unusable space for hours of every day or even months of every year. Get light and heat reflective glass and anti-UV glass unless you want the sun to fade your fabrics.

My office faces East, and the sun on them for several hours every morning was heating the windows so much that they were like a wood stove radiating heat into the room. Air conditioning and a ceiling fan helped, but the room was still ten degrees hotter than the rest of the house. Last week (with ARC approval) I installed heavy aluminum Bahama shutters (over 50 pounds) that also help with high winds (9 4.5” structural bolts into the header.) Now the sun only hits the bottom foot of glass for a few hours, and that helps a lot. The windows are now outdoor air temperature. 90° glass is better than 130° glass. (Guessing) Wide eaves or a veranda porch would help even more, but narrow eaves make more sense in an area where hurricanes are a possibility. Something that blocks the sun on the outside is much more effective at keeping a room cooler than something that blocks it on the inside, like shades.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	4EDDA75E-AC57-4408-BBB0-08D75102CD27.jpg
Views:	1471
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	89667  
Closed Thread

Tags
lanai, house, room, guess, enclosing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.