slow draining kitchen sink

Closed Thread
Old 07-19-2020, 08:20 AM
Veteran member
Default slow draining kitchen sink

I have a 2 basin kitchen sink that has been draining slowly and been making gurgling noises for a few months... I took apart and cleaned all the piping under sink and I even brought in the outdoor hose and flushed the drain pipe several times that extends into the outer wall... the water did not back up while flushing the pipe that goes out thru the wall so it seems to be clear??? any ideas why it still drains slowly and how to fix it??
Old 07-19-2020, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,251 Posts

It could be a venting problem. Some kitchen sink drains have an "automatic" vent, instead of a vent through the roof. You need to determine which type of vent you have. If it is an automatic vent, it will be a plastic fitting connected to the drain and located under your counter. If so, I would remove it and replace it. If your drain vents through your roof, then you may need a plumber to clear it out from the roof.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:02 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
It could be a venting problem. Some kitchen sink drains have an "automatic" vent, instead of a vent through the roof. You need to determine which type of vent you have. If it is an automatic vent, it will be a plastic fitting connected to the drain and located under your counter. If so, I would remove it and replace it. If your drain vents through your roof, then you may need a plumber to clear it out from the roof.
thx for the info...
there is a pipe just after the trap that sticks up about 6" to
8" that must be the vent you spoke of.... it has a solid plastic cap on it and I was able to finally twist it a little hopefully this will help... I hope none of it has to be replaced because unlike the trap that is threaded this piping is glued...

also how would replacing that pipe help do you think it's plugged??
Old 07-19-2020, 12:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ureout View Post
thx for the info...
8" that must be the vent you spoke of.... it has a solid plastic cap on it and I was able to finally twist it a little hopefully this will help... I hope none of it has to be replaced because unlike the trap that is threaded this piping is glued...

I can’t remember what type of vent system it’s called, cheap alternative to roof vent system.

if it not venting properly you won’t get flow down the drain line. Might try Utube see if there some information in how it works/repair/replacement?
Old 07-19-2020, 12:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,251 Posts

Quote:
thx for the info...

It sounds like you have an automatic vent device. The device has a moving part that allows air to enter the plumbing through several holes in it, but does not allow sewer gas to escape. The pipe attached to it may be glued, but I think the automatic vent device itself has a threaded connection. If so, I would try to unscrew it and remove it to see if that helps with your drainage problem. If it does, the vent device is probably defective and needs to be replaced. But, don't leave it off indefinitely because you will have sewer gas coming into your house. Good luck.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:51 PM

Quote:
thx for the info...

There should be an opening in that vent pipe just below the top of it. Spray some WD-40 down into the opening to lubricate the spring that's in there. That might fix your problem. If not, you may need to replace the vent.
Old 07-20-2020, 06:01 AM

Could be as simple as the drain stopper being set to low in the sink that allows the water to build up in the sink which looks like it is draining. Try removing the drain stopper and running the water to see if it is draining any faster.
Old 07-20-2020, 06:26 AM

try drano
Old 07-20-2020, 07:04 AM

Have you tried "Draino "?
Old 07-20-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
I have a 2 basin kitchen sink that has been draining slowly and been making gurgling noises for a few months... I took apart and cleaned all the piping under sink and I even brought in the outdoor hose and flushed the drain pipe several times that extends into the outer wall... the water did not back up while flushing the pipe that goes out thru the wall so it seems to be clear??? any ideas why it still drains slowly and how to fix it??

It’s also possible that the garbage disposal is clogged somehow. Some disposal safe drain cleaner may do the trick. If that isn’t it, I would agree with some of the others that the vent is the cause.
Hope this helps.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:28 AM
Smile

Quote:
thx for the info...

They put a cap on it!. Hacksaw off the cap & put a coupling & the auto vent on it.-Fixed. High school drop outs can do this.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
You know it might just be you just need to unscrew the Trap (Pipe) under the kitchen sink, it might just be a bunch of garbage in it. I would do that first before hiring a Plummer & getting charged $100. or whatever!
Old 07-20-2020, 09:46 AM

Squirrel stuck in the vent pipe
Old 07-20-2020, 08:51 PM

Retireguy123 knows what he is talking about, precisely what I was going to write. If you are sure that the drain pipe is not partially blocked than the venting has to be the issue. Have you tried Draino or similar product down the drain? Try it, follow instructions, poor down the sink and wait 10-15 minutes and then poor boiling water down the drain, this should unblock the drain if anything is hindering the water flow. Air venting on drain pipes is as important as having clean drains minus the back-up of water of course or even worse sewage. Good luck.

QUOTE=retiredguy123;1805791]It could be a venting problem. Some kitchen sink drains have an "automatic" vent, instead of a vent through the roof. You need to determine which type of vent you have. If it is an automatic vent, it will be a plastic fitting connected to the drain and located under your counter. If so, I would remove it and replace it. If your drain vents through your roof, then you may need a plumber to clear it out from the roof.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-21-2020, 09:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBeau View Post
Retireguy123 knows what he is talking about, precisely what I was going to write. If you are sure that the drain pipe is not partially blocked than the venting has to be the issue. Have you tried Draino or similar product down the drain? Try it, follow instructions, poor down the sink and wait 10-15 minutes and then poor boiling water down the drain, this should unblock the drain if anything is hindering the water flow. Air venting on drain pipes is as important as having clean drains minus the back-up of water of course or even worse sewage. Good luck.

QUOTE=retiredguy123;1805791]It could be a venting problem. Some kitchen sink drains have an "automatic" vent, instead of a vent through the roof. You need to determine which type of vent you have. If it is an automatic vent, it will be a plastic fitting connected to the drain and located under your counter. If so, I would remove it and replace it. If your drain vents through your roof, then you may need a plumber to clear it out from the roof.
[/QUOTE]

DO NOT put Draino in it if you have PVC pipe, it’ll eat right through the plumbing & you’ll have a bigger mess. Go to step 2 first & check roof vents first but there again most people
don’t want to climb on roof. So you might as well hire a Plummer. I still would check the trap pipe under the sink first. What do you have to lose it’s easy & it’s FREE, You can do that your self, a 1st grader could do it.
Closed Thread

Tags
sink, slowly, draining, pipe, wall

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.