Lake Sumter disappointing entertainment

Closed Thread
Old 06-15-2015, 08:37 PM
Eternal Member
Default Lake Sumter disappointing entertainment

I usually put posts on about entertainment on the squares that I have enjoyed. Well, last night, June 14, will be an exception to that!

The entertainer, Brian Carl Balyeat, is a young guy and hopefully, he has a good day job. He sang karoke style to recorded tracks - and from the pitch of his spoken voice compared to the pitch of the singing - I am not sure he was doing much of the singing. For one song, he was telling a story and then all of a sudden the music track began, and he jumped into the song several bars late. A voice on the track was audible for those several bars.

Okay, I should not be hard on the entertainer, I guess. He tried hard, enjoyed himself, and it was better than watching a rerun of I Love Lucy.

Even with an evening of no-quality entertainment, my wife and I enjoyed getting down to the square and enjoy being in The Villages everyday.

Tonight was great! It was Rocky and the Rollers at Spanish Springs. The square was rocking!
Old 06-15-2015, 09:19 PM
Gold member

Yeeks. Do not enjoy. Karoke. Hope they never make that entertainment on the square. Rocky always great!
Old 06-15-2015, 09:27 PM
Veteran member

We drove past in the cart last nite and both my husband and I commented.. wow.. sounds like karaoke.. we didn't park.. plus it was hot, hot , hotter outside and my AC was calling me..
Old 06-15-2015, 09:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

There are many entertainers on the squares that are nothing more than professional karaoke singers. With a few exceptions, if I don't see a drum set, I keep driving. It all comes down to money as usual. In stead of paying four or five or six talented musicians the entertainment department can get away with paying one singer/computer operator. Sometimes they don't even have a singer, they sometimes just have a DJ. Why do they need a DJ when they could just send a feed of WVLG through the PA systems at the squares?

But, like I said, if they can get away with paying one person instead of four or five or six they can save a lot of money. The line dancers don't seem to care either way. They dance to anything. But if the rec dept is paying attention, they might notice when there is a good band at a square there are a lot of people there spending money at the bars and stores.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:02 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
There are many entertainers on the squares that are nothing more than professional karaoke singers. With a few exceptions, if I don't see a drum set, I keep driving. It all comes down to money as usual. In stead of paying four or five or six talented musicians the entertainment department can get away with paying one singer/computer operator. Sometimes they don't even have a singer, they sometimes just have a DJ. Why do they need a DJ when they could just send a feed of WVLG through the PA systems at the squares?

But, like I said, if they can get away with paying one person instead of four or five or six they can save a lot of money. The line dancers don't seem to care either way. They dance to anything. But if the rec dept is paying attention, they might notice when there is a good band at a square there are a lot of people there spending money at the bars and stores.
Among those "karaoke singers" are truly skilled, educated and dynamic vocalists whose singing is so good it wouldn't matter if they were singing with a full band or with no accompaniment whatsoever.

Several that come to mind are Clark Barrios and Cathy Merkel, Suzi Casta, and Petrina, but there are many other vocalists here who were born to sing on stage for an audience, with or without live instrumentals.

However. The singer last night needs to keep his day job as a hairdresser. We stopped in and quickly left. Drama/Flash is no substitute for singing performance skill and musicianship.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:36 PM
Veteran member

I do not think as a whole they are paid that much. On top of working in the heat LOL
Old 06-16-2015, 07:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
There are many entertainers on the squares that are nothing more than professional karaoke singers. With a few exceptions, if I don't see a drum set, I keep driving. It all comes down to money as usual. In stead of paying four or five or six talented musicians the entertainment department can get away with paying one singer/computer operator. Sometimes they don't even have a singer, they sometimes just have a DJ. Why do they need a DJ when they could just send a feed of WVLG through the PA systems at the squares?...
Does this include Scooter?
Old 06-16-2015, 07:18 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
Among those "karaoke singers" are truly skilled, educated and dynamic vocalists whose singing is so good it wouldn't matter if they were singing with a full band or with no accompaniment whatsoever.

Several that come to mind are Clark Barrios and Cathy Merkel, Suzi Casta, and Petrina, but there are many other vocalists here who were born to sing on stage for an audience, with or without live instrumentals.

However. The singer last night needs to keep his day job as a hairdresser. We stopped in and quickly left. Drama/Flash is no substitute for singing performance skill and musicianship.
Also Dunning Shaw !! Awesome voice.
Scooter is a DJ and I think he's awesome !
Old 06-16-2015, 10:08 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
Also Dunning Shaw !! Awesome voice.
Scooter is a DJ and I think he's awesome !
Yes!

Another legendary voice here (who sings karaoke sometimes but usually is with his band) is Norman Lee. I miss seeing him at the squares and at City Fire, doing his big Elvis voice like "Viva Las Vegas".
Old 06-16-2015, 10:22 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
Yes!

Another legendary voice here (who sings karaoke sometimes but usually is with his band) is Norman Lee. I miss seeing him at the squares and at City Fire, doing his big Elvis voice like "Viva Las Vegas".
Norman performs on a venue with Susie Castas sometimes.

He is very involved with his church and is a terrific minister. It is Garden of Hope and is in Summerfield.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:46 AM
Gold member

Love love scooter! He is in class of his own , energetic, funny , gets the crowd going! Square would not be the same without our Scooter!
Old 06-16-2015, 11:02 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Maybe the "quality" on the Squares is a bit less because it's summer. Sometimes very hot and humid ----the AC can feel pretty good.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:28 AM

Don't forget about Lisa Beck! She's one of my favorites.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:54 AM
Sage

I agree. Live bands, all the time. Karaoke singers, one is a while. DJs, never. When is Vinyl Recall playing again?

Quote:

Old 06-16-2015, 11:58 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
Norman performs on a venue with Susie Castas sometimes.

He is very involved with his church and is a terrific minister. It is Garden of Hope and is in Summerfield.
I know he's a gifted and spirit-filled pastor with his church. I just like it how he meets people where they are, just as they are, in the public square.

No phony baloney. No dressing in "Sundy Go-to-Meetin' Clothes" to pretend to look less sinful. Just regular, ordinary "tax collectors and sinners and bikers".

I hope the entertainment dept. is listening and schedules him again.
Closed Thread

Tags
enjoyed, entertainment, singing, entertainer, square, voice, pitch, hard, bars, song, track, jumped, began, late, audible, guess, everyday, tonight, villages, great, rocky, spanish, springs, rollers, a040

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.