Smart car questions

Old 04-25-2024, 12:56 AM
Veteran member
Default Smart car questions

A new neighbor wants to buy a used smart car instead of a golf cart. Will he be able to use anywhere if he keeps under the speed limit of 20 mph? He doesn't see much difference in the size of a smart car vrs a golf cart. I told him NO! Too hazardous! He responded that he is willing to modify. Then came a round of more and more oppositions. You can use street legal carts anywhere. They will fit easily into parking spaces,. They are not bigger than some 4 seaters carts he has seen. His questions were why, why, why? I told him maybe weight or width of the smart car? Illegal by Florida law? He doesn't seem to understand the hazard and safety issue. I also told him they are called GOLF CART paths. He corrected me, MMP paths! (The things some people can think of)

Last edited by margaretmattson; 04-25-2024 at 04:26 AM.
Old 04-25-2024, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretmattson View Post
A new neighbor wants to buy a used smart car instead of a golf cart. Will he be able to use anywhere if he keeps under the speed limit of 20 mph? He doesn't see much difference in the size of a smart car vrs a golf cart. I told him NO! Too hazardous! He responded that he is willing to modify. Then came a round of more and more oppositions. You can use street legal carts anywhere. They will fit easily into parking spaces,. They are not bigger than some 4 seaters carts he has seen. His questions were why, why, why? I told him maybe weight or width of the smart car? Illegal by Florida law? He doesn't seem to understand the hazard and safety issue. I also told him they are called GOLF CART paths. He corrected me, MMP paths! (The things some people can think of)
It is an automobile… period. No it can’t be driven on MMP or in golf cart lanes or on golf courses.
Old 04-25-2024, 06:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,800 Times in 1,258 Posts

Basically, not permitted if the vehicle can be licensed to use on public roads.

WHAT FORMS OF TRANSPORTATION ARE ALLOWED ON THE PATHS

"Who is allowed to use the multi-modal paths throughout The Villages?”

This is a question that the District receives on a regular basis.

The multi-modal paths are for use by NON-AUTOMOTIVE traffic such as bicycles, golf carts, pedestrians, and skaters.

It is not legal…nor is it smart…to drive vehicles such as smart cars, motorcycles, or mopeds on any of the multi-modal paths in The Villages. "

Multi-Modal Path Information and Safety.

And insurance may not cover accidents for off road use.

Last edited by Altavia; 04-25-2024 at 06:26 AM.
Old 04-25-2024, 06:51 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,105 Times in 302 Posts

I used to tow a Smart car behind my RV. It was a lousy choice, even for that application. The new ones cost more than a real car and can't even be towed. You certainly can't drive one on a golf course!

I foolishly didn't confirm that my $3000 toad came with a spare key. Turns out the only place you can buy a spare is the Mercedes dealer and they're $500 a copy. Then, the coolant fan went out, and the Mercedes dealer wanted $4000 to replace it -- or $2500 at my usual mechanic. Why? Because you had to remove the BODY to get to the $120 part! But good news everybody! It was designed to run without one! In fact, the European version didn't even come with one. So we made do by watching the temp gauge and pulling over to let it cool down when the gauge hit 250. It took two hours to get back to the RV camp from the Parthenon one July day in Nashville. What a piece of junk!

Tell your friend he's better off buying a used golf cart than a Smart Car (especially for the golf course, for crying out loud!)
Old 04-25-2024, 07:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,919 Times in 921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
I used to tow a Smart car behind my RV. It was a lousy choice, even for that application. The new ones cost more than a real car and can't even be towed. You certainly can't drive one on a golf course!

I foolishly didn't confirm that my $3000 toad came with a spare key. Turns out the only place you can buy a spare is the Mercedes dealer and they're $500 a copy. Then, the coolant fan went out, and the Mercedes dealer wanted $4000 to replace it -- or $2500 at my usual mechanic. Why? Because you had to remove the BODY to get to the $120 part! But good news everybody! It was designed to run without one! In fact, the European version didn't even come with one. So we made do by watching the temp gauge and pulling over to let it cool down when the gauge hit 250. It took two hours to get back to the RV camp from the Parthenon one July day in Nashville. What a piece of junk!

Tell your friend he's better off buying a used golf cart than a Smart Car (especially for the golf course, for crying out loud!)
and many young guns think that us old dudes are resistant to technological changes just because we are old. . . nah, its called experience which they don't have yet.

Tech bros want to take over the world because they think they can . . . like the developer buying 100s of acres of adjacent farm land because there are no limits to growth. .

everything works until it doesn't
Old 04-25-2024, 07:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Basically, not permitted if the vehicle can be licensed to use on public roads.

WHAT FORMS OF TRANSPORTATION ARE ALLOWED ON THE PATHS

"Who is allowed to use the multi-modal paths throughout The Villages?”

This is a question that the District receives on a regular basis.

The multi-modal paths are for use by NON-AUTOMOTIVE traffic such as bicycles, golf carts, pedestrians, and skaters.

It is not legal…nor is it smart…to drive vehicles such as smart cars, motorcycles, or mopeds on any of the multi-modal paths in The Villages. "

Multi-Modal Path Information and Safety.

And insurance may not cover accidents for off road use.
I see plenty of street legal carts on MMP and golf courses.
Old 04-25-2024, 07:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,963 Times in 2,470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretmattson View Post
No.
Old 04-25-2024, 07:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGibson View Post
I see plenty of street legal carts on MMP and golf courses.
IMO That was allowed due to when previous two administrations had clunkers for cash give away. ThE LSV in villages allowed them on MMPs which Bs IMO. They are too wide and long for MMP which back them my had been golf cart path???
Old 04-25-2024, 08:00 AM
Sage

Quote:

Should have hung it off motorcycle rack….
Old 04-25-2024, 08:01 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,207 Times in 762 Posts

No, it's a car not a golf cart.
Old 04-25-2024, 08:02 AM
Sage

Quote:

Should have hung it off motorcycle rack…. well MB is quality and that come with price and up charge.
Old 04-25-2024, 08:32 AM

Do you mean a Smart Car or an Atomic Golf Cart?

A Smart Car is built by Mercedes Benz and is a fully functioning automobile capable of driving on the interstate & turnpike. It is small, but it is a car and not a golf cart.

An Atomic Golf cart is what you see riding around The Villages on the MMPs that looks like a small car. I believe it can be licensed as a street legal LSV or left as an unlicensed golf cart. I think this is true, but need to get confirmation with other Atomic Golf Cart owners or the Atomic dealer.

But before anyone can answer your original question, you have to be sure you are asking about the correct vehicle - Smart Car or an Atomic Golf Cart
Old 04-25-2024, 08:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,113 Times in 2,762 Posts

It’s an oxymoron calling those things a “smart car”. I can think of lots of things to call them, but smart definitely isn’t one of them. And no, they are not allowed on the MMP’s.
Old 04-25-2024, 03:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
It’s an oxymoron calling those things a “smart car”. I can think of lots of things to call them, but smart definitely isn’t one of them. And no, they are not allowed on the MMP’s.
Agree, should be names half car.

If I was metropolitan dweller only I could see the purpose but not price. Going pay that much might as well get vehicle little bigger you drive down interstate.
Old 04-25-2024, 03:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,419 Times in 2,533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRE1 View Post
Do you mean a Smart Car or an Atomic Golf Cart?

A Smart Car is built by Mercedes Benz and is a fully functioning automobile capable of driving on the interstate & turnpike. It is small, but it is a car and not a golf cart.
But before anyone can answer your original question, you have to be sure you are asking about the correct vehicle - Smart Car or an Atomic Golf Cart
I know I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I cannot see any ambiguity regarding what vehicle is the subject in the opening post.

Tags
smart, car, cart, questions, electric

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.