"Smart Home"? - Patio Villa

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2023, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
There’s room for arguing over this, but to my mind, unless you are really friendly and like to interact with neighbors, a Patio Villa with a “kissing lanai” is NOT a “smart” home. I need privacy, and I have it in my Courtyard Villa.
I know it doesn’t seem like it, but if you ever lived in a patio villa you’d find them incredibly private.
Old 07-13-2023, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debfrommaine View Post
When we bought our home we got info from the sale that a company called Galaxy will come into the home and complete the "smart home" offer. Give Galaxy in Wildwood a call for further info. We figured out how to access Ecobee via our phone and that's about as smart as we are.
I'm sure Galaxy does a great job, but their prices are astronomical. If that's not a concern, then go for it!
Old 07-13-2023, 09:07 AM
Location: Baton Rouge Louisiana now the Village of Chitty Chatty

Yes ! Put the app on your phone and follow prompts while by it. We control it and see temp from states away! It works well
Old 07-13-2023, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
I automate much more than just these things, you can add to the list:
Outdoor Grill, indoor range/stove, refrigerator, streaming audio/video to every room, bathroom fans, motion lights, art lighting, over cabinet lighting, etc..
On top of this, I programmed functions like geofencing, when arriving home, turn on these lights, play music on these speakers in certain rooms for X amount of mins/hours before turning off. The latest thing I have implemented is streaming music to my cars from my home server, no need for Sirius/xm.

As for the “smart home” designation, it’s pretty much a joke. This will give you a few wired connections in a couple of rooms, a WAP port in the living room, no big deal. Home automation comes from how you design your network (wired and wireless), the products you buy, and how you implement them.
I'm curious how you implemented streaming music from your home server to your cars.
Old 07-13-2023, 12:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpelant View Post
I'm curious how you implemented streaming music from your home server to your cars.
If your smart phone is connected to your car, you should be able to access anything that is synced to the cloud, including a home server.
Old 07-13-2023, 04:09 PM
Default Thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJgal View Post
Have been wondering whether the Ecobee thermostat installed by builder in our new (Feb 2023) house is accessible via internet? We got a very quick verbal “tour” of its features, most of which I can’t remember, but no manual to refer to. Would be nice to check on it remotely. Thanks!
Yes. We installed the Alexa skill and you can adjust the thermostat with voice commands. You can PM me if you have any questions about it.
Old 07-13-2023, 04:20 PM
Default Automate much more

[QUOTE=rsmurano;2234762]I automate much more than just these things, you can add to the list:
Outdoor Grill, indoor range/stove, refrigerator, streaming audio/video to every room, bathroom fans, motion lights, art lighting, over cabinet lighting, etc..
On top of this, I programmed functions like geofencing, when arriving home, turn on these lights, play music on these speakers in certain rooms for X amount of mins/hours before turning off. The latest thing I have implemented is streaming music to my cars from my home server, no need for Sirius/xm.

Great ideas....we implemented voice control of our water valve tied to smart water sensors in case of a leak. Also added smart controllers to our Garage Screen/Main Garage door.

Would love to get the details on your streaming music setup.
Old 07-14-2023, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
If your smart phone is connected to your car, you should be able to access anything that is synced to the cloud, including a home server.
Gotcha - I thought you were somehow streaming directly from your home server. Makes more sense now - thanks!
Closed Thread

Tags
smart, home, patio, villa, recognize

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.