Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana old enough for The Villages

Old 03-01-2024, 02:19 AM
Default Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana old enough for The Villages

I have always loved these bands. But not really sure I'd like cover bands in the squares yet.

Discuss.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:12 AM
Veteran member

All I’ve seen are cover bands in the squares. Perhaps you mean tribute bands that only play songs from a single band?

Anyhow I’d love if the music modernized and added some harder rock now and then. I do hear 80s pop/new wave. But some metal now and then would be nice. I don’t expect to hear Slayer any time soon. But Ozzy, AC/DC, Maiden, that would be fun. It’s time for metal Mondays.
Old 03-01-2024, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB444 View Post
I have always loved these bands. But not really sure I'd like cover bands in the squares yet.

Discuss.
We can only wish!!! lol. They had a Guns N Roses cover band at the strawberry festival that was really good. But unfortunately they won't be in the rotation.

We really need some fresh, newer music in the rotation. Hearing the same bands, play the same crappy, overplayed songs gets stale.
There are a few that at least mix it up, Relic is one of them.

The Villages is slowly trending younger, and I believe there's people that feel like we do. Altough I'm 67.

Afterall, they have 4 venues to fill 365 days a year. That's 1460 dates. Surely they could add some different, newer stuff.

Old music doesn't always mean good music, and not everyone wants to go down memory lane over and over. Hopefully TV entertainment continues to try new things.
Old 03-01-2024, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,026 Times in 1,749 Posts

Wish they were here. My husband chose “Today” by the Smashing Pumpkins as our wedding song. We interpreted the lyrics probably quite differently than how Billy Corgan probably meant, as he was depressed when he wrote it. I find it interesting how often great art comes out of hurt and pain. Although not exactly the kind of music I listened to (it frightened my young students) I got used to it.

Last edited by Velvet; 03-01-2024 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-01-2024, 12:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX rider View Post
We can only wish!!! lol. They had a Guns N Roses cover band at the strawberry festival that was really good. But unfortunately they won't be in the rotation.

We really need some fresh, newer music in the rotation. Hearing the same bands, play the same crappy, overplayed songs gets stale.
There are a few that at least mix it up, Relic is one of them.

The Villages is slowly trending younger, and I believe there's people that feel like we do. Altough I'm 67.

Afterall, they have 4 venues to fill 365 days a year. That's 1460 dates. Surely they could add some different, newer stuff.

Old music doesn't always mean good music, and not everyone wants to go down memory lane over and over. Hopefully TV entertainment continues to try new things.
Dont hold your breath. We have been listening to those same tunes in the squares for nearly 20 years! Some of the bands have been around even longer. We go to the squares for a nice walk, chat with friends, watch the sunset, and dinner. We never listen to the music. It is the same ol', same ol', over and over and over! It would be nice if some of the bands learned a new set.
Old 03-01-2024, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
Dont hold your breath. We have been listening to those same tunes in the squares for nearly 20 years! Some of the bands have been around even longer. We go to the squares for a nice walk, chat with friends, watch the sunset, and dinner. We never listen to the music. It is the same ol', same ol', over and over and over! It would be nice if some of the bands learned a new set.
Some bands are ok and there are actully a few, very few, we really like. Some are just plain not good. I guess it's just wishful thinking on my part. lol

Hopefully at some point it starts to change.
Old 03-01-2024, 05:14 PM

Thanks for your responses everyone!

I guess it would be fun to have a "Metal Monday". Although my preference for music is now towards smooth jazz or classical. I also like "Soundscapes" (I call it "spa music" on cable Music Choice. Not sure if that's included in cable in TV.

Do they have any Bob Marley/Reggae type bands?
Old 03-01-2024, 09:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,526 Times in 3,111 Posts

I would love it if Dave Grohl decided to move to The Villages. He's probably the nicest, most generous, kind rock stars on the planet, and his infectious potty mouth would give some of the geezers a conniption, which makes me snicker gleefully.
Old 03-02-2024, 12:48 AM

Foo Fighters. Also Weezer will be 55 very soon.
Old 03-02-2024, 12:51 AM

I have to say though that I'm not really interested in like a previous response "over and over" with 90's grunge. I prefer now classical and smooth jazz. Soundscapes ("spa" type) music.
Old 03-02-2024, 05:59 AM
Default The Hooligans play British Rock, unfortunately they do not play enough.

The Hooligans play The Who, Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, plus others. Always draw a large crowd.
Old 03-02-2024, 05:59 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,142 Times in 883 Posts

As already mentioned, bands here cover a variety of bands in one evening. I've never heard one cover just one band all night. I do look forward to hearing 90s music sprinkled in.
Old 03-02-2024, 06:13 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
All I’ve seen are cover bands in the squares. Perhaps you mean tribute bands that only play songs from a single band?

Anyhow I’d love if the music modernized and added some harder rock now and then. I do hear 80s pop/new wave. But some metal now and then would be nice. I don’t expect to hear Slayer any time soon. But Ozzy, AC/DC, Maiden, that would be fun. It’s time for metal Mondays.
…………and maybe noise barrier walls around the squares so as not to drive away folks nearby???
Old 03-02-2024, 06:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB444 View Post
I have to say though that I'm not really interested in like a previous response "over and over" with 90's grunge. I prefer now classical and smooth jazz. Soundscapes ("spa" type) music.
Heck yeah!! Some smooth jazz instrumentals would be great. I’d go so far as to add a Classical night or a Latin night. Maybe provide genre music nights so the heavy metal folks can get their fill while the more conservative music lovers can get theirs as well
Old 03-02-2024, 06:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I would love it if Dave Grohl decided to move to The Villages. He's probably the nicest, most generous, kind rock stars on the planet, and his infectious potty mouth would give some of the geezers a conniption, which makes me snicker gleefully.
Believe that “potty mouth” entertainment is best left in the privacy of one’s own home and not thrust into the public domain just for the strange entertainment of some who enjoy seeing other’s discomfort

Tags
bands, discuss, squares, cover, smashing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.