Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana old enough for The Villages

Old 03-08-2024, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX rider View Post
Nobody is saying get the actual bands here, that's nonsense. We're just saying we'd like to hear bands that play that type of music.

Besides, REO and The Doobie brothers aren't part of that genre at all. We already have plenty of that old crappy stuff. Time for a change once in a while.

At some point the music here is going to have to start trending to newer stuff, as TV gets more younger people moving here that don't dig 60's and 70's music.
I could not agree more, absolutely right.
Old 03-08-2024, 09:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Runner View Post
As a person who's survived being on the edge of several mosh pits at GWAR, Metallica and others that made me laugh!
I was at Slayer at the Channel in Boston for the South of Heaven tour. The Channel is long gone but was a great club. That was a mosh pit. Luckily back then mosh pits didn’t have the angry punching and kicking that the hardcore shows had. Just bouncing off each other and crowd surfing.

The Villages could add moshing and sell hip replacements in the square next to the bar hut.
Old 03-08-2024, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
I was at Slayer at the Channel in Boston for the South of Heaven tour. The Channel is long gone but was a great club. That was a mosh pit. Luckily back then mosh pits didn’t have the angry punching and kicking that the hardcore shows had. Just bouncing off each other and crowd surfing.

The Villages could add moshing and sell hip replacements in the square next to the bar hut.
At the GWAR concert I attended with my son and some of his high school buddies they got the bright idea to stand directly in front of the band. Anyone who's been to a GWAR concert knows the band sprays the crowd with green and red 'goo' and we got soaked. The small fence they put up in front of the band was flimsy and would tip over if leaned against so when the mosh pit formed directly behind us I played offensive lineman and kept all the mayhem from getting to them on the front row. One idiot crowd surfing back to front kicked me in the back of the head twice and after the second time he got planted into the floor, only surf front to back! My son decided he was ready to leave a little early so the next day he heard from every one of his friends that they got hammered after I left and was no longer shielding them! Fun times.
Old 03-08-2024, 11:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post

Fun fact; Maria Menounos and her parents used to clean The Channel in Boston. Great club
Old 03-08-2024, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Runner View Post
At the GWAR concert I attended with my son and some of his high school buddies they got the bright idea to stand directly in front of the band. Anyone who's been to a GWAR concert knows the band sprays the crowd with green and red 'goo' and we got soaked. The small fence they put up in front of the band was flimsy and would tip over if leaned against so when the mosh pit formed directly behind us I played offensive lineman and kept all the mayhem from getting to them on the front row. One idiot crowd surfing back to front kicked me in the back of the head twice and after the second time he got planted into the floor, only surf front to back! My son decided he was ready to leave a little early so the next day he heard from every one of his friends that they got hammered after I left and was no longer shielding them! Fun times.
My son liked GWAR. I'm very open minded, and I tried to give it them a listen, but I couldn't handle that. Just a bit to hardcore for me. LOL
Old 03-08-2024, 12:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,026 Times in 1,749 Posts

I think that there is a vast difference between the deep, powerful, 3 dimensional, large range sound of metal (you need the right sound system at home to capture it) and the angry, destructive, unhappy punkish style music. Or the jack-hammer effect of some rap. I like most genres but selectively.
Old 03-08-2024, 12:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
I definitely don’t want to hear any form of metal or rap. Those would drive away a lot of the audience that just wants to relax and enjoy. Of course, what I would prefer to hear would probably drive you away. I’d like to hear the Great American Songbook—Sinatra-type music. Or bluegrass. Or old country with a pedal steel guitar. Or bossa nova. These things are seldom heard in town squares.
i like most kinds of music, & yes, i love metal, but i also like Sinatra, too. even Dean Martin & Julie Andrews. i'd go for the GreatAmericanSongbook, thx for posting
Old 03-08-2024, 12:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I think that there is a vast difference between the deep, powerful, 3 dimensional, large range sound of metal (you need the right sound system at home to capture it) and the angry, destructive, unhappy punkish style music. Or the jack-hammer effect of some rap. I like most genres but selectively.
yeah, DeathMetal is a bit too much, but i like Disturbed and Sublime
Old 03-08-2024, 01:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
i like most kinds of music, & yes, i love metal, but i also like Sinatra, too. even Dean Martin & Julie Andrews. i'd go for the GreatAmericanSongbook, thx for posting
Got to see Sinatra in ‘87 at a benefit concert at Boston Symphony Hall just a few yrs after high school. Parents dragged me there....tickets were like $100. I was in awe leaving there. I check all the boxes of genres myself...kind of an ADHD of music, but that guy was a performer. Thanks for bringing up his name.
Old 03-08-2024, 01:09 PM
Sage

it must've been pure magic!!!
Old 03-08-2024, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I agree on both statements.
Old 03-08-2024, 07:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,026 Times in 1,749 Posts

Quote:
Had to get used to it - when my daughter was 17 she was lead in a death metal band and I did not want to lose her. Those “singers” ie. screamers wreck their voices in a couple of years. Daughter has matured and now plays Mozart on her key board. Still loves metal though.

Tags
bands, discuss, squares, cover, smashing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.