Smoke Alarms

Closed Thread
Old 08-10-2022, 05:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Popeye! View Post
What's next, shine shoes?
The fire department's job is to turn fires off, I always thought!

(groan)

As Mom used to tell us, "you'd complain if you were hung with a new rope".

Firefighters installing new smoke detectors or changing batteries in current ones may avoid serious injury to the owner if he/she falls off a ladder and breaks a bunch of bones in the process.

Even more importantly, it may avert a death or deaths if the smoke alarms weren't working, the house catches fire, and the occupants weren't awakened in time to get out.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:00 AM
Default Turn Fires Off???

Quote:
What's next, shine shoes?
The fire department's job is to turn fires off, I always thought!
The fire department is here for “Public Safety “
Not sure how you turn off a fire lol
Old 08-10-2022, 06:30 AM

I asked why they come out in the fire truck for this service and was told if a call came in they would leave immediately for the emergency call and return later to finish the battery replacement later. I think this is a wonderful service offered by our community! Thanks for your service!
Old 08-10-2022, 06:44 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

Actually fighting fires is a small percentage of what your fire department does. Among many other things, they do inspections, safety training, education, fire prevention, etc. But, the biggest component in the jobs they do every day is running EMS calls. Especially within the target rich environment of The Villages. And yes, ensuring that residents have properly working smoke detectors is a valuable service they offer.

How anyone could complain about the VPSD performing this service is beyond me.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:46 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

Back to the topic.

Smoke alarms lose effectiveness after ten years. If you live north of 466 (approximately) please consider replacing your smoke detectors.

Also, there are three types of detectors:
-Photo electric
-Ionization
-Dual (both technologies)

USFA position on home smoke alarms.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:47 AM
Veteran member

The first thing we did when we bought this house was to replace the smoke alarms with 10 year battery models. ( I had two extra so I installed them in my neighbors house)
Old 08-10-2022, 07:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Back to the topic.

Smoke alarms lose effectiveness after ten years. If you live north of 466 (approximately) please consider replacing your smoke detectors.

Also, there are three types of detectors:
-Photo electric
-Ionization
-Dual (both technologies)

USFA position on home smoke alarms.
As I understand it, The Villages builder only installs the ionization type smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors in new houses. No photoelectric sensors. So, they are not following the USFA recommendation.

"Because both ionization and photoelectric smoke alarms are better at detecting distinctly different yet potentially fatal fires, and because no one can predict what type of fire might start in a home, the USFA recommends that every home and place where people sleep be equipped with either (a) both ionization and photoelectric smoke alarms, or (b) dual sensor smoke alarms (which contain both ionization and photoelectric smoke sensors)."
Old 08-10-2022, 09:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Not even close to funny.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:42 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
As I understand it, The Villages builder only installs the ionization type smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors in new houses. No photoelectric sensors. So, they are not following the USFA recommendation.
No they are not, that is why I posted this lifesaving tip. They are, however, following code.

It is more important (than the type of smoke alarm you have) to replace your detectors after ten years
Old 08-10-2022, 08:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Taxes!
1/100,000,000,000 of your cent, probably.
Guy changing batteries while a fire is raging next door.
I can see it now, Sanitation guy coming into your house to sweep!
Can't help it. Sanitation guy sweep. Our guy does the dishes and cleans the windows.
BE SURE TO ASK THEM ABOUT THIS SERVICE.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
No they are not, that is why I posted this lifesaving tip. They are, however, following code.

It is more important (than the type of smoke alarm you have) to replace your detectors after ten years
Actually we have both smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. The carbon monoxide detectors only last about 4 years. I am too stubborn to admit I am this old. Must be a problem with the mirror, In any case with the proper ladder an 8 foot changing the battery and changing a smoke detector or carbon monoxide detector is truly simple.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Is it better to have homes without working smoke alarms?
I have to stand on top rung of my 6 ft ladder to replace the battery. Since the FD offers to do this as a public service why not take advantage of it.

BTW we moved here from Roanoke Va and they did this also. My daughter in DC has this service available as well.
A truly simple solution, buy an 8 foot ladder. You will need it to change light bulbs etc. A newer ladder will have a sign NOT to stand on the top steps.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMo50 View Post
Actually fighting fires is a small percentage of what your fire department does. Among many other things, they do inspections, safety training, education, fire prevention, etc. But, the biggest component in the jobs they do every day is running EMS calls. Especially within the target rich environment of The Villages. And yes, ensuring that residents have properly working smoke detectors is a valuable service they offer.

How anyone could complain about the VPSD performing this service is beyond me.
If, you read the posts, there are people HERE and perhaps everywhere that COMPLAIN. Far more important are those who see a problem and POLITELY offer a solution.
Old 08-11-2022, 04:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
A truly simple solution, buy an 8 foot ladder. You will need it to change light bulbs etc. A newer ladder will have a sign NOT to stand on the top steps.
So where were you two years ago when I bough the wrong ladder?

In any case we pay for this thru our taxes so why not take advantage of this service
Old 08-11-2022, 05:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
So where were you two years ago when I bough the wrong ladder?
We checked with the sanitation guy when he came to sweep our back yard, and driveway.
He gave us a free 8' ladder as part of the service!
Closed Thread

Tags
alarms, department, fire, installed, smoke

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.