Smokers in TV?

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Veteran member
Default Smokers in TV?

What is your best guess as to the percentage of smokers vs. non-smokers in TV?

Since we're not living there yet we don't know what the local laws are pertaining to public smoking, but is it allowed at all in restaurants/clubs? If not inside, how about on restaurant patios?

Are folks pretty good about not throwing their cigarette butts down just anywhere?

And as close as many of the homes are to each other, can you ever smell a neighbor smoking on their patio?

thanks!
Old 02-23-2012, 12:58 PM
Veteran member

NO SMOKING in any public building in the state. A few exceptions but pretty rare. Moose lodge in Belleview is 1 I know of. No smoking in the seating & dance area of the squares but on the sidewalk around the perimeter it's allowed.

Some, not all patios allow smoking. The ones with bars at Sumter landing - you may as well consider a SMOKING area.

It's hard to give a factual estimate of smokers but judging at the squares, bowling alley and golf courses I'd say about 20-30% smoke.
Most are pretty carefull about butts

I doubt you'd notice your neighbor but that would depend on how close you are and the wind direction
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 02-23-2012, 11:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I don't think it's even 20-30%, since I quit in 2006 and my wife quit in 2003 we both notice smokers. When we go to the square on a busy night, a crowd of over a 1000 people you might see 3 to 5 smokers all evening. It's very low here, and most of those at the square smoking are usually not usually seniors.

I play golf twice a week with different foursomes each time. So that's 6 new people I meet each week at the course and in the 7 months that I've been playing here I have played with just two smokers. On my neighborhood softball team we have 14 players and only one is a smoker.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:46 PM
Sage

My guess would be 5% smokers. Maybe there are more, but if there are, they are courteous and don't do it near others.

It's an unusually nice population!
Old 02-23-2012, 11:50 PM

I don't see that many smokers anymore. I think some come out later to hang at City of Fire bar on the corner of LSL but even then I really don't notice the smoke. Spanish Springs is older area and you might see more over there but I'm not sure they are Villagers rather than outsider coming in to listen to the music... Don't think you would have any problems...
Old 02-23-2012, 11:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
My guess would be 5% smokers. Maybe there are more, but if there are, they are courteous and don't do it near others.
My guess would be 10% of Villagers residents are smokers. Most everyone I know used to smoke and quit. It's not usual to see a Wrinklie in TV smoke. It is much more common to see young kids still smoking.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:32 AM
Sage

If you don't want to see any cigarette smokers at all, move to California where cigarettes are as rare as hen's teeth. Even the young people don't smoke.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:09 AM
Gold member

Dont really know but it seems to be on the rise
Old 02-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,509 Times in 1,909 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post

There are only two smokers so far in our new very small village of 53 homes.

I smoked and stopped many years ago. It is hard to do so and probably impossible for many of our age. I have just this week heard of a stage four lung cancer diagnosis for one of our dear friends. I am trying to scare those who smoke. Please stop. Lots of people love you.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:17 AM
Veteran member

As a non-smoker, smelling cigarette smoke doesn't bother me at all....but of course I don't like seeing others doing harm to their health and enriching the evil tobacco companies. But my wife is an ex-smoker, and I swear she can detect a smoker within 100yards sight unseen, & it repells her. A big fear of ours is buying a home in TV, only to find out that one or more close neighbors like to smoke outside. I guess we could buy one of those large industrial type fans to blow it all in the opposite direction.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,380 Times in 2,400 Posts

The stats from the health survey will give that percentage. At least of those who chose to return the survey.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:24 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,642 Times in 1,769 Posts

When I was in TV for the month of October 2011 I had to change tables a few times on a couple of the country club patios. Only one or two smokers lit up at upwind tables but that is all it takes to disturb many nonsmokers. Frankly, I was shocked to discover smoking was allowed on country club patios.

Since the houses are so close together in TV I am very concerned about purchasing a home adjacent or even a few doors downwind from a smoking couple's house, especially if they sit on their lanai and smoke. Too, these days many if not most nonsmoking wives (or husbands) ask/require their still smoking spouse to smoke outside. In either case the peaceful enjoyment of their premises by adjacent and somewhat nearby downwind neighbors is adversely impacted by environmental tobacco smoke wafting into their lanais or possibly even introduced into their own homes through their A/C systems.

People from within and without TV smoke on the squares. I found it impossible to avoid environmental tobacco smoke on the squares during the afternoon and evening entertainmant periods. The cigar smoke can get especially bad. Remember, October is not a peak month. During January through March when the squares are more crowded it will no doubt be far worse.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:59 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoa View Post
As a non-smoker, smelling cigarette smoke doesn't bother me at all....but of course I don't like seeing others doing harm to their health and enriching the evil tobacco companies. But my wife is an ex-smoker, and I swear she can detect a smoker within 100yards sight unseen, & it repells her. A big fear of ours is buying a home in TV, only to find out that one or more close neighbors like to smoke outside. I guess we could buy one of those large industrial type fans to blow it all in the opposite direction.
She probably won't like driving through a golf car tunnel either... she will at times encounter gas fumes, cigar smells or someone's perfume for a moment or two. In my humble opinion, maybe she would like an enclosed helmet..... makes a great gift !!!
Old 02-24-2012, 05:06 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoa View Post
What is your best guess as to the percentage of smokers vs. non-smokers in TV?

Since we're not living there yet we don't know what the local laws are pertaining to public smoking, but is it allowed at all in restaurants/clubs? If not inside,1. how about on restaurant patios?

Are folks2. pretty good about not throwing their cigarette butts down just anywhere?

3. And as close as many of the homes are to each other, can you ever smell a neighbor smoking on their patio?

thanks!
1. Unfortunately that is where smokers eat and if smoking is permitted I stay inside. I don't like it but I avoid those restaurants where it is a problem.

2. Pretty good but not great except on golf courses then bad.

3. I don't know because no one anywhere near me smokes but if one moved next door I would not be concerned.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
If you don't want to see any cigarette smokers at all, move to California where cigarettes are as rare as hen's teeth. Even the young people don't smoke.
Right. Smoking "weed" doesn't count.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.