Smoking Meats in TV

Closed Thread
Old 06-29-2023, 05:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,733 Times in 987 Posts
Default Smoking Meats in TV

When up north in the summer I like to smoke meats. I have a very unfancy, "entry-level" electric smoker that meets my needs just fine.

I'm curious to know if any of our TOTV brethren use a smoker, or live near anyone who does. Any insight on how it affects the neighbors? (other than making them hungry)
Old 06-29-2023, 06:14 AM

I have a Masterbuilt Gravity smoker that I use. I have never had any complaints yet from my neighbors about the smell. There are also a couple of clubs in the Villages that you may want to look into.
Old 06-29-2023, 09:23 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,365 Times in 744 Posts

We have a golf frontage home. Golfers seem to enjoy the smoke. I hear them on the course trying to ID which house has the smoker.
Old 06-29-2023, 10:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,498 Times in 2,287 Posts

Depending on the wind my neighbors might not even know I'm smoking. If they do get a whiff they ask what time dinner is. lol

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 06-29-2023, 10:36 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,018 Times in 773 Posts

Never had a problem with neighbors. Only suggestion smoke in the shade most smokers like mine are black being in the sun may effect cooking. When the smoker is not running the temperature probe may read up to 120+.of course, you'll save on pellets.
We just have better results in the shade.
Old 06-29-2023, 11:09 AM

I'm in the process of completing an outdoor kitchen. I insisted on having a spot for a smoker separate from the grill head.

I had an electric smoker up north, and I will be starting with that down here. I liked the ease and the ability to "set and forget". I've had sidebox smokers and while they have their charm, they require too much attending and work for my tastes.

As far as the smoke, I suspect my biggest issue will be fighting off the neighbors that "just happen" to drop by to see if I'll invite them to dinner!
Old 06-29-2023, 02:58 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Here's hoping your smoke-exposed neighbors will not be strict Vegans who truly detest anything that has to cooking/eating meat! lol

Old 06-29-2023, 04:58 PM
Default Smoking Meats

I am not a frequent Smoker, only have done Salmon. Using a really old Outers Electric smoker, great brine formula. But, must be fresh Salmon, frozen doesn't smoke well at all.
A number of the complaints I have had from others is "Can't you make more!?"
Never a complaint on the smell, except, "When is going to be ready!?"
For sure not an issue.
Old 06-29-2023, 09:51 PM

My favorite thing is brisket. We have a smoker and we tell neighbors that we will smoke whatever they have at the same time. Then we get together at the end and have a wonderful time!
Old 06-30-2023, 12:29 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,791 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
When up north in the summer I like to smoke meats. I have a very unfancy, "entry-level" electric smoker that meets my needs just fine.

I'm curious to know if any of our TOTV brethren use a smoker, or live near anyone who does. Any insight on how it affects the neighbors? (other than making them hungry)
Have used our low tech, charcoal fired, smoker on our lanai on a regular basis since we build our home in the LSL general area. Interesting coincidence, the people who built directly behind us, were also life long "smokers", and have a home made, charcoal fired, smoker they have used for years also. Other than us, and that neighbor, others seem to cook out a lot, but not smoke meats like we do (ribs, chicken, pork loin and butt, beef brisket, and even have done whole salmon as well as a smoked turkey every year). Been here many years now, but rest of neighbors seem to just grill, using propane, natural gas grills, Weber kettles, or Big Green Eggs ! But, we usually do a smoked turkey between Thanksgiving and Christmas.... and yes, people "seem" to just happy by around the time each year they know we have smoked turkey !

Last edited by Pairadocs; 06-30-2023 at 12:34 AM. Reason: omission
Old 06-30-2023, 12:39 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,791 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Depending on the wind my neighbors might not even know I'm smoking. If they do get a whiff they ask what time dinner is. lol
Exactly ! And I mentioned in a previous comment, we do at least one whole turkey each year, some years, twice a year (to break the boredom of Covid we did two a year !) And yes, people do try to "catch" a whiff as often as possible..
Old 06-30-2023, 07:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member

thanks for the input, everyone.
Old 06-30-2023, 02:29 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post

How much is a decent but not crazy money smoker. I get smoked brisket and pork twice a week from a local bbq joint in Naples. I would love to be able to buy the best meat and smoke it myself.
Old 06-30-2023, 04:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitley View Post
How much is a decent but not crazy money smoker. I get smoked brisket and pork twice a week from a local bbq joint in Naples. I would love to be able to buy the best meat and smoke it myself.
Well.....the short answer is....I dunno.

the long answer is, it's one of those black holes of the universe. I have probably one of the cheapest set ups. It's called a "Cajun Injector" brand. It's electric, with a pan that holds wood chips on top of the element to produce smoke, and heat the chamber. No longer made, but Amazon has something similar by "MasterBuilt" for around$200.
Issues with this set up are that the temperature swings are considerable, and the gurus will tell you that you don't get as even or as pleasant a smoke with this system.

From there you can go up, all the way to the moon. There are tons of videos on YouTube on the various types of units you can buy, and the pros, the cons, and the techniques.
I'm happy with my cheapo, and if I buy one for TV it will be something similar.
Old 06-30-2023, 04:43 PM
Veteran member

Home Smokers run from about $100 up to $3000. A decent electric or pellet smoker $300-$400. Easy to spend more.
Closed Thread

Tags
meats, smoker, smoking, live, brethren

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.