Smoking at a town square

Closed Thread
Old 02-02-2023, 09:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts
Default Smoking at a town square

Anyone who has gone to listen to music has heard 4 times every night that there is no smoking at the squares. They ask that you go out to the sidewalk, away from people to smoke. After my bad restaurant experience I am sitting trying to enjoy some music when the guy sitting next to me lights up his cigar. With the smell every time he took a puff I got very annoyed. Finally I got up to leave but first I turned to him and yelled at him. I told him he sucked and that he needed to be out on the sidewalk. I then left the square missing out on the music.
Old 02-02-2023, 09:16 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,796 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
Anyone who has gone to listen to music has heard 4 times every night that there is no smoking at the squares. They ask that you go out to the sidewalk, away from people to smoke. After my bad restaurant experience I am sitting trying to enjoy some music when the guy sitting next to me lights up his cigar. With the smell every time he took a puff I got very annoyed. Finally I got up to leave but first I turned to him and yelled at him. I told him he sucked and that he needed to be out on the sidewalk. I then left the square missing out on the music.
You had a bad day and it’s almost full moon. I hope you have a better tomorrow.
Old 02-02-2023, 10:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Well, that little tirade probably got him to quit, didn’t it?
Old 02-02-2023, 10:38 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Smokers are drug addicts. They do not care how their addiction affects others.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 02-03-2023, 06:49 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

"I turned to him and yelled at him."

That probably was effective.

Old 02-03-2023, 08:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
I was wrong... Your day got worse...

But you might want to work on your anger issues... Some people don't take too kindly to being berated... You know, flies and honey?

-Tom Petty
Old 02-03-2023, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Wouldn’t it have just been easier to have one of the ushers tell him to put it out or step to the designated smoking area? Instead you lost your cool and gave him the power to ruin your night.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 02-03-2023, 08:26 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Can't understand why you wouldn't point this ignorant person out to the entertainment staff, who would have gladly tossed the guy out.
Old 02-03-2023, 08:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
I guess I'm lucky. I actually enjoy the smell of cigar smoke. Even cigarette smoke (which I quit puffing on several decades back) doesn't bother me as it does a lot of ex-smokers. My wife on the other hand has a nose like a bloodhound and can smell the smoke when a neighbor is smoking inside.

I agree that people should be considerate enough not to light up in a crowd, particularly when the odds were that the gentleman in question knew the rules very well. However unloading on him before getting up to leave probably didn't do much good. Perhaps a friendly reminder that he was doing something against the rules, coupled with a comment that you find cigar smoke annoying, may have been enough to settle the issue.
Old 02-03-2023, 09:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
He won and you lost!
Old 02-03-2023, 10:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
I was wrong... Your day got worse...

But you might want to work on your anger issues... Some people don't take too kindly to being berated... You know, flies and honey?
Now that's funny.
Old 02-03-2023, 11:13 AM
Veteran member

He was probably sitting next to someone with an oxygen tank.
I actually thought they should have to cross the street to smoke as it just blows back onto the sitting and dancing area.

But yeah after I put him on blast I would've got community watch.
Old 02-03-2023, 11:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

One time I was listening to the music at Spanish Springs and a guy started smoking.

I walked over to him and said smoking is not allowed.

He stopped smoking.

End of my exciting story.
Old 02-03-2023, 11:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,686 Times in 972 Posts

There is law enforcement on premises. You should have informed the LEO of this offender and let the law deal with it. Not as dramatic of course, but more effective.
Old 02-03-2023, 11:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Smokers are drug addicts. They do not care how their addiction affects others.
Yep, like cycles riders with loud pipes.
Closed Thread

Tags
music, sitting, sidewalk, smoking, square

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.