smoother move in day?

Closed Thread
Old 12-26-2013, 03:14 AM
Gold member
Default smoother move in day?

Just noticed that we close in 48 days... now with the holidays, we have not done any of the things we have intended to do to prepare.

We have a lot to do once the tree comes down. I could find myself in panic mode if I think about it too much.

Packing, moving the pod, truck etc sounds do-able. I am a bit more worried about the details on that end. We are planning to move all of our stuff when we close. Only bringing the basics.

I would appreciate suggestions of what to have packed for easy access that first day. An emergency kit so to speak.

On day 2 we plan to have:
appliances delivered
get bids for plantation shutters
direct tv installation
internet provider installation
get our id cards
install temporary window coverings
and of course... unpack

What am I missing and what tips can you offer to make moving in easier??

We will only be there a week and then back to jobs and camping out in our home in Utah until it is deep cleaned etc for rental. Once our "chores" are done there, we can actually start living in our new home.

Any suggestions to make the process easier will be appreciated.

Including......temporary window covering for large sliding glass doors!!

Thanks TOTV friends! We appreciate having your great minds to help make this easier!
Old 12-26-2013, 07:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Dotti.

Don't stress. If you have made a friend ask them to meet your delivery people for when you are not here. We have let in several blind installers and delivery people and furniture deliverers with diagram in hand, for friends over time. Many reliable installers of blinds can put them all up in large homes in less than two hours. Rick at 48 hours was our choice. He can be contacted ahead of time from afar and has all window opening sizes usually in stock.

Other decisions and installations don't have to be made immediately and even painting can easily be accomplished by the very professional people we have around here with a house full of furniture.

I know that most people are anxious to begin living in their homes but some things require a little time and settling in before major decisions are made.

I have yet to hear anything negative about Tim the Tool Man who puts in pull down stairs. The Villages Hangman, Roger Dudis, installed a 200 pound mirror for us and anchored some big wall cabinets and can install drapery rods etc. Sweetie did ours.

Even garage floors can be finished after the boxes are unpacked and shelves installed in the garage.

Don't hesitate to ask us if you need things you don't have yet....
That means us G's or the forum in general. We have lots of ladders and STUFF you may need or forgot.

And Dot, if you LOVE Christmas like I do. Don't get rid of too much that is familiar and beautiful. I enjoy those things and insisted we bring them.

We are here. You won't be alone.

Kindest wishes,

Gracie et al

P.S. Your ID cards are given to you at closing.

P.P.S. I really didn't realize that the chip in my neck was installed at the same time. I THINK it is the reason I love this place so much. Thank you Morses.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:31 AM
Location: Winter - Village of Bonita; Summer - Marblehead, OH

Don't forget the bottle of wine (and glasses, and a corkscrew) to celebrate that first night in your new home!
Cheers and welcome.....

Today's new friend become tomorrow's family

Ohio - Cleveland, Lakewood, North Ridgeville, North Olmsted, Marblehead, Elyria; Florida - Village of Bonita (2010)
Old 12-26-2013, 07:35 AM
Sage

Take your time. If you try to get everything done in a week, you will exhaust yourself, and get very frustrated. Rome wasn't built in a day.

I would start by contacting directv, and get an appointment right away, so you can be there, for the installation. I would also order the recording DVR type receiver, and be aware they will charge you $80, if you decide that you want your dish, not attached to your house's roof, (free installation on roof).

Same with blinds and shutters. I went to Village Interiors, (aka Blinds and Shutters on 466), next to Bargains and Treasures). I was extremely satisfied with the professionalism displayed by their staff. They were quick in their delivery and did an excellent job.

I would insure your living room and bedrooms are set-up right away and some kitchen utensils be made available for your use. The rest of your stuff can be unpacked at your leisure.

Making a list of things to do and prioritizing, in order of importance is helpful.

Please take your time as the house is not going anywhere and you will feel better if you keep in mind, that you will be here for a long time. Make time for pleasurable things and rest when tired.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 12-26-2013, 07:35 AM

Dottie,

My first day "open me first", bins included a set of bed sheets, pillows, blanket and two towels, two wash clothes, a bar of soap, a roll of toilet paper and anything you will need to make your first night warm and comfy. You will be very tired and need a good nights sleep. Next make sure you can get your hands on a lamp or two, with light bulbs. When you make your first stop at the grocery store, get only enough supplies to get you through that first day or two.

Like Gracie said, we are here for you new friend.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

No worries I came down with nothing and in 48 hours furnished everything and had it delivered and put away..on the third day I drove home
Old 12-26-2013, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

[QUOTE=asianthree;801280]No worries I came down with nothing and in 48 hours furnished everything and had it delivered and put away..on the third day I drove home[/QUOTE

I will NEVER forget when you told us that. YOU are amazing.

It took the Big Guy seven days, and THEN He rested.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.